FTA-TV 2012 Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

And that 7k was for two of NRL's most famous clubs too.

In the meantime 65k tuned in on 7Mate from Syd/Bris to watch Coll v Carl on Friday night; 89k tuned into Sydney vs Brisbane on Sat arvo, and another 71k tuned in to watch St Kilda vs Essendon - plus the many tens of thousand tuning in on Fox to watch these games.
Been very impressed with 7mates ratings recently. Took a while to get going but now they are looking solid (especially for a digital channel which competes with a live HD simulcast ad free on Fox). Should see big numbers for the West Coast v Sydney top of the table clash on Sunday twilight.

Been very impressed with 7mates ratings recently. Took a while to get going but now they are looking solid (especially for a digital channel which competes with a live HD simulcast ad free on Fox). Should see big numbers for the West Coast v Sydney top of the table clash on Sunday twilight.

The good thing about being on 7mate is that we actually get a alot of pregame. It might not seem like much to people who have had it all the time, but pregame and postgame TV adds a significant amount to the entertainment experience.
Now all we need is a good midweek footy show shown live into our areas and we will have nothing else to complain about (except another team).

The good thing about being on 7mate is that we actually get a alot of pregame. It might not seem like much to people who have had it all the time, but pregame and postgame TV adds a significant amount to the entertainment experience.
Now all we need is a good midweek footy show shown live into our areas and we will have nothing else to complain about (except another team).
There's no excuse for Nine not to show The Footy Show on Gem at 9.30 in NSW and QLD. Gem show the Sunday nRL show into Vic, SA and WA...

There's no excuse for Nine not to show The Footy Show on Gem at 9.30 in NSW and QLD. Gem show the Sunday nRL show into Vic, SA and WA...

Im pretty sure its so that they can promote the NRL. I know plenty of people watching the NRL one simply because the AFL one isnt on.

But it is very surprising that they dont have the NRL one on in the footy states.

Im pretty sure its so that they can promote the NRL. I know plenty of people watching the NRL one simply because the AFL one isnt on.

But it is very surprising that they dont have the NRL one on in the footy states.

I would have thought a straight swap, with the alternative shown on the secondary station in the respective non-heartland states would have been the go.

Although - I'm pretty sure ch 9 counts the aggregate ratings for the timeslot - so its true that they might be figuring they'd rather maximise it than give people an alternative.

Of course it's the AFL fans in the Northern states who are missing out the most - by a factor of about 8 to 1.

Look at those Gem ratings! 7k from 7.5m people! Channel 9 would be rapt they changed to live NrL nationwide!

7k across all 3 cities?

Quite ironic after what were pretty good ratings in those cities for Origin. Maybe it's not the promotional gold that they think - it seems to have actually turned people off the NRL. A bit like how no-one watches the Sheffield Shield.

I don't think the AFL's ratings on 7mate are anything special, but gee compared to 7k the AFL looks like a ratings juggernaut.

7k across all 3 cities?

Quite ironic after what were pretty good ratings in those cities for Origin. Maybe it's not the promotional gold that they think - it seems to have actually turned people off the NRL. A bit like how no-one watches the Sheffield Shield.

I don't think the AFL's ratings on 7mate are anything special, but gee compared to 7k the AFL looks like a ratings juggernaut.
Fair point you make. Maybe people from non NRL states have a glancing interest in RL but only in its highest form. To them regular home and away RL just isnt interesting enough in comparison.

I doubt I'll agree with you too often Stewie, but no doubt the AFL/Seven should be appluded with their commitment to a consistant telecast on 7mate in Sydney. You can turn the TV on knowing it will be on. The NRL on GEM on the other hand.....

I thought on Loonies Unlimited they have been speculating how the failure of the AFL's ratings had reduced the value of the NRL rights (I know, it doesn't make any sense, but don't blame me)

I thought on Loonies Unlimited they have been speculating how the failure of the AFL's ratings had reduced the value of the NRL rights (I know, it doesn't make any sense, but don't blame me)

The "Loonies" were only reacting to a report at the time which stated that Telstra was disappointed at the take up of AFL subscriptions. The NRL would be delighted to hear that Telstra is happy with their mobile deal with the AFL.

Forgetting the arguement over which code is better, mobile viewing would have to be better suited to NRL rather than AFL purely because of the "tight" nature of the action, which would lend itself better to a 4" screen, probably the reason why I'd prefer to watch the Eels on TV, and the Hawks live.

Pretty obvious reason why AFL people arent taking up Foxtel. It might seem like a small reason for some but i believe it is a huge reason ... rugby league people call their sport rugby league ...we call ours football, yet their is already a 'football' on foxtel. Its a basic branding concept.
That and the fact that we football fans like to go and watch matches, and failing that watch them at pubs/clubs etc.

The "Loonies" were only reacting to a report at the time which stated that Telstra was disappointed at the take up of AFL subscriptions. The NRL would be delighted to hear that Telstra is happy with their mobile deal with the AFL.

Forgetting the arguement over which code is better, mobile viewing would have to be better suited to NRL rather than AFL purely because of the "tight" nature of the action, which would lend itself better to a 4" screen, probably the reason why I'd prefer to watch the Eels on TV, and the Hawks live.

Telstra is too expensive. Thats literally the only reason I dont get them. If i lived in the country i would use them though.

I doubt I'll agree with you too often Stewie, but no doubt the AFL/Seven should be appluded with their commitment to a consistant telecast on 7mate in Sydney. You can turn the TV on knowing it will be on. The NRL on GEM on the other hand.....
The nRL on Gem have 3 matches each normal round and also the Sunday nRL show. So yes you will know when it's on, but most choose not to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty obvious reason why AFL people arent taking up Foxtel. It might seem like a small reason for some but i believe it is a huge reason ... rugby league people call their sport rugby league ...we call ours football, yet their is already a 'football' on foxtel. Its a basic branding concept.
That and the fact that we football fans like to go and watch matches, and failing that watch them at pubs/clubs etc.
I now have Foxtel because of Fox Footy. Just ignore wogball and the A(mateur) - League lol.

You can turn the TV on knowing it will be on. The NRL on GEM on the other hand.....

It's on. A couple of months or so now. More people have watched Rugby league in Melbourne than ever before. :thumbsu:

Yes the ratings aren't great, but last week on a friday night up against Collingwood v Carlton which got 30k in Sydney, and 35k in Brisbane the Tigers v Bulldogs NRL game got 16k in Melbourne. Now to me, that's pretty darn good for a code which has only just recently had games shown into the Melbourne market at a decent time up against another code with a history of fta tv coverage in the northern markets.

I'm sure you can understand why the haters are focusing on sunday's figure.

Yes the ratings aren't great, but last week on a friday night up against Collingwood v Carlton which got 30k in Sydney, and 35k in Brisbane the Tigers v Bulldogs NRL game got 16k in Melbourne. Now to me, that's pretty darn good for a code which has only just recently had games shown into the Melbourne market at a decent time up against another code with a history of fta tv coverage in the northern markets.

Yep the nRL figures are a real worry LOL and the Storm crowds arent getting any better in Melbourne with only 12,000 last weekend at their loverly new Stadium that holds 31,000.

I remember when it was being bulit the RL urgers were whingeing that IT WOULDNT BE BIG ENOUGH!

It's on. A couple of months or so now. More people have watched Rugby league in Melbourne than ever before. :thumbsu:

Um Auckmel the ratings in Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth on GEM have consistently been WELL below the STATE league ratings on the ABC (which are based on one match a round).

Haters arent just focussing on Sundays figure. First you have to tell them which Sunday figure they should be impressed with.

420K watch NRL State of Origin in Melbourne and yet 3 days later only 12K turn up to support the table topping Storm, you would think 20 or 30 thousand of the 420 thousand would be a little interested, but nooooooo, instead the Storm get their usual pathetic crowd.

Um Auckmel the ratings in Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth on GEM have consistently been WELL below the STATE league ratings on the ABC (which are based on one match a round).

At the risk of boring people to death, I repeat Rugby league has only just started on it's journey and is a virtual newborn in 1 of those states and has no NRL representation in the other 2.

I do appreciate what lies ahead and never said it would be easy.

Haters arent just focussing on Sundays figure. First you have to tell them which Sunday figure they should be impressed with.

Why single out sunday and ignore promising numbers on friday night?

420K watch NRL State of Origin in Melbourne and yet 3 days later only 12K turn up to support the table topping Storm, you would think 20 or 30 thousand of the 420 thousand would be a little interested, but nooooooo, instead the Storm get their usual pathetic crowd.

Advertise the superbowl to be on the same date and time ... it would smash the ratings.

At the risk of boring people to death, I repeat Rugby league has only just started on it's journey and is a virtual newborn in 1 of those states and has no NRL representation in the other 2.

To be fair though its not like League has never existed for people in those states either. Delayed telecasts have been in Adelaide for years, especially on Friday nights. We've had the nrl footy show late thursday nights for over a decade.

Then theres the issue of the fact that they have had national representative league teams before in the Reds and the Rams. Both states have small but ongoing rugby league competitions.

Making out Perth and Adelaide to be virgin territories is only slighly dishonest.

Why single out sunday and ignore promising numbers on friday night?

You bought up the haters for sunday ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back