VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if any Saints are playing yet, hopefully i get a reply on Twitter to my question.

I'd think there would be quite a few? Both due to renewed efforts with the alignment but also with the 2 interchange / 2 sub rule for the NAB Cup (although this doesn't apply to round 3). With round 1 of the NAB Cup being pretty short (and significant player rotation between the games), unless there are soreness issues you'd think they'd all front up for some more minutes this week.

I'd think there would be quite a few? Both due to renewed efforts with the alignment but also with the 2 interchange / 2 sub rule for the NAB Cup (although this doesn't apply to round 3). With round 1 of the NAB Cup being pretty short (and significant player rotation between the games), unless there are soreness issues you'd think they'd all front up for some more minutes this week.

Yea id assume there are, my guess is only 25 get named for Saints this week and rest will play at Sandy.

(but dont want to get peeps hopes up if they dont!!)

Saints embrace VFL alignment

The Zebras have been a logical bedfellow for St Kilda, with both claiming the late Trevor Barker as a club legend, while Sandringham is just a five-minute drive from the Saints' heartland in Moorabbin.

Watters said there were no plans to pursue a stand alone VFL team similar to his previous club Collingwood and was happy with the present arrangement that involves Saint staff member Simon McPhee coaching the Zebras.

"We expect a really strong alliance with Sandringham. We want to support them and it has to be a win-win relationship," he said.

"We really want to support them as a club, obviously we've got a significant investment in the players we have in that system. We've got a really strong coaching presence at that club and we're very committed to making sure that relationship works for both of us."

Read Entire Article - http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=129626&utm_medium=RSS

Really pleased to hear the attitude. Treating Sandy with respect as a proud club, but also working for the win-win.

From a Sandy supporters view, this is great news...its hard to realise this is happeningafter the Ross Lyon era of virtuallyhaving no interest in proceedings at Sandy..

Mind you I can see a few supporters still wanting a stand alone reserves team.

From a Sandy supporters view, this is great news...its hard to realise this is happeningafter the Ross Lyon era of virtuallyhaving no interest in proceedings at Sandy..

I think that's because the relationship (or lack thereof) has been so utterly abysmal for all concerned so far, they haven't seen what this all could be, if done properly.

Fact is, NO alignment will work where there is NO conversation or cooperation between the two parties. But if there IS, then I don't see why it can't be just as effective as a standalone.

In actual fact, we have mutually beneficial goals - we want our 2nds to learn how to win, to learn their roles, and to work together. Sandy want to win, too, and see that the best way for that to happen is for the players to know their roles, and to work together.

It is so bleedingly obvious, that I honestly don't understand why Lyon didn't work harder at this. By making the alignment such a low priority, he was not only seriously hurting our relationship with the Zebs, he was slowing the development of future players. It's almost as if he only cared about winning AFL games in the short term, with no plan to be there when the young players had to take over...

Oh, yeah...

I hope that it continues, and not just a show

Make sure you get down to Trevor Barker Beach Oval this Saturday March 3 for first practice match of 2012! Sandringham Zebras V Box Hill (Res 8.30am, Seniors 10.50am)

Not sure if any Saints are playing yet, hopefully i get a reply on Twitter to my question.

Some Saints players will be playing this weekend. Full teams announced later in week.

Also StKilda & Sandringham members get in for FREE! Otherwise its $5.

Massive signing being announced soon..

Think its Adam Cockie... :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is adam cockie that massive a signing?

For the VFL it is mate. Was chased hard by plenty other teams and chased hard by lot WAFL teams to keep him in WA.

Doing bit research on couple Zebs and stumbled across this video of Michael Sikora. He played in Saints Intra Club and was impressive. He's a monster but apparently he has only played the game for 2 years :eek: Hope

[YOUTUBE]RZoD5yUy0gA[/YOUTUBE]

You must impress easily pal, he has played for more than 2 years it just looks like he hasnt

Doing bit research on couple Zebs and stumbled across this video of Michael Sikora. He played in Saints Intra Club and was impressive. He's a monster but apparently he has only played the game for 2 years :eek: Hope

[youtube]RZoD5yUy0gA[/youtube]

You must impress easily pal, he has played for more than 2 years it just looks like he hasnt

Just going by what it said on the video mate, which is

"Has only played football for 2 years and played 13 games for the zebras this year."

WHY wouldn't we rookie draft SIKORA...

WHY wouldn't we rookie draft SIKORA...?

I gather that the Saints and Sandringham coaches think well enough of him to play in the intra club game. Then WHY didn't we Rookie draft SIKORA...

He looks to have the potential to develop into a decent ruckman, I cant believe we didn't get him as a rookie! So if he is to ruck in the 1st's this year he will no doubt attract a lot of interest from other clubs.

Whilst he's a big unit that provided a ruck contest for our guys in a practice match, he was 22yo (not without some maturity) and didn't play a senior VFL game last year and averaged 6 possessions a game in the reserves.

I'm heartened by zebraman's comments that he could step up this year, but we are talking about stepping up to VFL seniors - not AFL.

Van Rheenan
Wall
Haretuku
McGrath

We've used the rookie list for beanpoles before - I personally don't like it and would rather pay up and get a ruckman who has shown he can play AFL (or draft a kid who doesn't have as much development need).

SandyFC Jumper Presentation night will be held on Monday March 19

$30 includes 2 course meal with drinks at bar prices.

Bookings essential via sandyfc@bigpond.net.au

Crock very lively. Kicks the first goal.

Darch is at FF. Judgement a bit off, but is kicking the ball much better. Competing as he always does, and ran a player down and set up Markworth (who missed).

Staley kicked a ripper from the boundary after neat work from Jacko.

Archer gets a free and goals from 30m. 3 goals to 0.both teams are going at it.

Cockie goals just before qtr time. 5 to 0. Irving is relishing a return to the midfield and the wet conditions.

Looks like we have a new Mini (Minchington). And a Dunny (Dunell).

Great bit of defensive work by Jacko to contest without giving away a free. Done some work with Max for sure.

Sticky fingers and looong goal to who I hope was Dunell. Followed up a minute later with a silky set shot. And again with a snap (point this time).

Archer in the ruck (Sikora off and Sheapherd looking good up forward).

Just found out it is Myke Cook who is dominating (not Cockie who looks a little overweight!)

10 goals to 2 at half time. Squizzy out.

A helpful (but much less detailed) match report provided by the Sandringham FC Twitter page:

1/2: Sandy 10.8.68 BH 2.3.15. Cook 12 pos, Curren 10. Dunell 2 goals, singles to Cockie,Staley,Cook,Markworth,Michaliades,Archr,Crocker

Latest tweet from Sandringham:

3/4 Sandy 11.12.78 to Box Hill 2.4.16. Irving with 14 And Curren with 15 have the most touches... Cook and Cockie with 5 tackles each #fb

Looking forward to your next post Squizzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back