VFL 2012 Sandringham Zebras News & Discussion Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, in that case I'll bamboozle you all with my next in depth report from the Sandringham twitter feed:

Convincing win Zebs! Sandy 18.16.124 Box Hill 4.5.29. Dunell & Michaliades finished with 3 each Full details on Website tomorrow

Nice win. :thumbsu:

Gutted to hear about Darch. His body shape is terrific and clearly he's worked really hard during pre-season. Lucky I was sitting down and had digested lunch.

On a more positive note, I was quite impressed with Staley. Quite skinny, but has a leap and decent judgement. Kicked a ripper from the boundary, and always looked like he thought he could kick it. If he can put on some bulk, he appears a very decent prospect given his height.

Dunell is just wow with his kicking for goal. Dead eye dick.

Markworth is very slight, but managed to get 5-10m on his opponent with ease. Conditions dictated that the delivery to him wouldn't be great, and he did get pushed around a bit too easily.

Crock went quiet after the early flurry (again probably not suited to the conditions) and Curren couldn't get into the game.

Ferguson and Andreoli were solid down back, but don't appear to be pushing for an AFL spot at this stage.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Here is article i wrote for the SandyFC :thumbsu:

SIKORA AIMS TO BECOME ZEBS NUMBER 1

Having just completed his 2nd preseason, 206cm ruckman Michael Sikora is hoping to break into the Sandringham senior side and push to become the number 1 ruckman. Having played only 13 reserves games in 2011, Michael feels that he has worked hard to improve his fitness and core strength to take that next step in 2012.

“This year I’d like to play as many senior games as possible for the Zebras and to try and become their number 1 ruckman. I also look forward to being given the opportunity to play up forward and try to kick some goals” Michael Sikora said.

“Obviously at the end of the year I’d love to be picked up by an AFL Club and play senior footy. It’s a long while yet but I’ve got the determination to do it, but it all starts with having a good year with the Zebras so we can play finals footy.”

During the preseason Michael was given the opportunity to take part in St Kilda’s Intra Club match and he was able test himself out against one of the best up and coming ruckman in the AFL.

“Playing in the St Kilda Intra Club match was an experience for me, putting the game plan structures into play I was able to learn a lot from it. It’s something I could really get used to!” explains Sikora.

Read Entire Article - http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18576658

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Marcus Marigaliani has reportably been in hospital for a week with an infected knee. Not start to year he would be after after missing first half last season with injury (knee from memory)

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
It looks like Taylor McEvoy has signed with the Zebs for 2012

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
CONFIRMED

Few local boys signed tonight - T.McEvoy (Knox) J.Bruno (StK City) L.Barnhoorn (St Bedes) to name a few - full details on www.sandringhamfc.com.au tomorow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Old article on him, but gives little about him.

Jay Bruno has come off an outstanding interleague performance to be voted best on ground against Chelsea Heights. He is a dynamo around the packs and his work ethic is outstanding. Jay is quick to find the goals and has booted 17 goals for the season.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3909-47827-0-6151456&sID=44685

He also won league best and fairest in the Southern Footy League back in 2009

sounds like Sandy has picked up some rather quick players this year. I wonder how they will meld both sandy and the saints together? ie saintsplayers playing in the development team and not the seniors?

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Sandy mines rich vein of success out west

Simon McPhee says he had all the attributes to be a top-line footballer.He was missing only one thing.

"Ability," he chuckled last week, sitting in the grandstand and looking over a lush Trevor Barker Oval at Sandringham.

McPhee played in the WA amateurs and in the WAFL reserves and says he was never anything better than a battler.

But the 42-year-old has made quite a mark on the coaching scene.

A premiership with Claremont last year prompted the St Kilda hierarchy to bring him to Melbourne as senior coach of Sandy, combined with a development role at the Saints.

It's true the Zebras had little say in his appointment and a few members took it as another sign of a St Kilda "takeover".

READ MORE - http://www.insidefootballonline.com/state.html

zebraman

Senior List
Oct 7, 2006
Mornington
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Sandringham...Arsenal
sounds like Sandy has picked up some rather quick players this year. I wonder how they will meld both sandy and the saints together? ie saintsplayers playing in the development team and not the seniors?

It's happened before and no doubt will happen again...some players are simply not up to VFL seniors standard...even when they've been drafted by an AFL club...

A few years ago when Sandy were aligned with Melbourne, they had a player Isaac Weetra...somehow manged 2 games with Melbourne...one week later...Sandy seniors...a week after that...Sandy reserves...and if Sandy had been allowed to...he would have been sent back to local footy after that...his drop in form in 3-4 weeks was extraordinary

Sandy mines rich vein of success out west

Simon McPhee says he had all the attributes to be a top-line footballer.He was missing only one thing.

"Ability," he chuckled last week, sitting in the grandstand and looking over a lush Trevor Barker Oval at Sandringham.

McPhee played in the WA amateurs and in the WAFL reserves and says he was never anything better than a battler.

But the 42-year-old has made quite a mark on the coaching scene.

A premiership with Claremont last year prompted the St Kilda hierarchy to bring him to Melbourne as senior coach of Sandy, combined with a development role at the Saints.

It's true the Zebras had little say in his appointment and a few members took it as another sign of a St Kilda "takeover".

READ MORE - http://www.insidefootballonline.com/state.html

I really like the way they're heading with the alignment.
The idea of a stand alone Saints VFL team, to me was going to dump us back in the mire of high costs and debt.
While there will always be compromises, a well working alignment can only benefit both clubs.

Free to Cat for the first, quickly followed by a right foot snap by Crock for number 2, and Dunny with the third after a free. Only 5 mins in!

Mini goals after one to Cook (Zeb listed). 5 zip after 15 min.

Another to Mini after good work from Raph and Jay Lever.

Mini again. Hot this qtr with his third.

Hallahan (who trained with the Saints during pre-season) kicks a 60m goal on the siren.

53 to 7 at qtr time.

Struggling a bit here. Some poor kicking into F50 into a slight breeze. 57 to 27 after 20 mins. Lourey misses 2 sitters, Cat misses a couple of snaps when he should have done better.

They have Jimmy Webster as a tall defender. Not a lot of minutes for Raph. Some concern for Bastie's knee. Quite a few of our boys not playing real well.

58 to 45 at the half. Archer is on the juice!!! (Blackcurrant I think). X Clarke floated past too.

Crocker snaps well for his second. Looks like Ross and Raph are done for the day. Raph was said to be frustrated so I'd guess some more soft tissue stuff.

Crock gives away a free (bit sloppy). 65 to 58.

Wonderful 40m pass from Dunell finds Cat directly in front - but is let down by his third miss.

Finally Cat kicks one - from 50m on the run after cutting off a pass.

55m goal from Irving with the breeze. 79 to 58.

Lovely hands from Dunell on the wing leads to a snap goal for Mini's 4th.

Free to Dunell who kicks truly. A very classy kick of the pill. 99 to 58.

60m goal to Irving. 105 to 60 at the final change. Curren got involved that quarter. Kicking into the forward line still wasn't great, but Werribee butchered many of their entries. Webster looking sore after being nailed in a tackle. He's now on ice too - might be some hard work for the rest of the boys in the last qtr.

The first 3 goals go to Werribee inside 5 mins. Jacko hasn't been able to stay with his man a couple of times.

Markworth misses badly. Curren again misses with a tough snap. Now Irving misses!

Another ordinary shot from Cat (misses everything). 109 to 79.

Dunell has gone into defence. Not doing too bad, but the ball keeps getting pumped in. 108 to 97.

Really in strife now. 5 points in it now after a free against Newnes.

Good hands from Newnes to mark a minute later in defence, but was loose a little later. It's all locked up after the resultant play ends with Warren (Jacko again caught out).

Werribee kicks a point 30 seconds from the siren. 15.19 to 17.8 tells a fair tale. They kick another point after the siren to win by 2.

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Raph maybe injured again aswell. Coaches asked if he was alright as he walked off and went straight to rooms

Mini is Minchington
Cat is Tom(cat) Curren
Dunny is Sam Dunell

And for anyone else playing at home, the other handy Squiz nicks;

Bastie = Seb Ross
Big Pig = Daniel Archer
Cuz = Nick Winmar
Square = Tom "Square the.." Ledger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back