2012 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Rendell could be the best prospect for a club to go grab......just sayin

Didn't he say on Footy Classified he wanted to get out of recruiting?
Except wanted to be around for the 2012 "best draft ever"?

I can't see another club picking him up for at least 6 months, once the fallout has subsided somewhat, and by then he'll have missed so much under-age footy he'll be well out of the loop and worthless as a recruiter in 2012.

Didn't he say on Footy Classified he wanted to get out of recruiting?
Except wanted to be around for the 2012 "best draft ever"?

I can't see another club picking him up for at least 6 months, once the fallout has subsided somewhat, and by then he'll have missed so much under-age footy he'll be well out of the loop and worthless as a recruiter in 2012.

Six months out of the loop is hardly likely to damage his prospects.

Don't think you understood recruiting - Head Recruiter co-ordinates the recruiting team, often does lots of one-on-one interviews with associated parties - watching players is not a major part of their role.

i always browse through the stats for the sanfls games, was the mackay for south adelaide todd mackay?? he found alot of ball and had 4 tackles. that would be a good start for the year. i hope he finds just an extra 2-3 cms over the year.

Six months out of the loop is hardly likely to damage his prospects.

Don't think you understood recruiting - Head Recruiter co-ordinates the recruiting team, often does lots of one-on-one interviews with associated parties - watching players is not a major part of their role.

I think you actually misunderstand the entire concept being discussed.

What club would take him on as Head of Recruiting when he doesn't want to be in that position anyway?

Surely someone would need to be in that role in the 6 months leading up to Rendell taking over - do you really think a club would usurp the current Head of Recruiting just a few months before the big dance, after putting in all the hard work leading up to it?
For him to walk away again straight after the draft?
Would Rendell even be happy about doing that to another recruiter?

And surely the Head of Recruiting still watches a lot of the kids playing, even if it is footage at a later date.
I'm sorry - what exactly are your qualifications to understand his potential role so well?

6 months may not hamper his ability to judge the talent of a prospect, but everything else that comes along with the role would make it a highly improbable situation.

Only a club like Melbourne who has an acknowledged temporary Head of Recruiting in place, would seriously consider him. The Neil Craig link might make it work, but I still think it's a long shot.
No club is likely to take him on for only a couple of months, unless it is purely as a consultant.

I think you actually misunderstand the entire concept being discussed.

What club would take him on as Head of Recruiting when he doesn't want to be in that position anyway?

Surely someone would need to be in that role in the 6 months leading up to Rendell taking over - do you really think a club would usurp the current Head of Recruiting just a few months before the big dance, after putting in all the hard work leading up to it?
For him to walk away again straight after the draft?
Would Rendell even be happy about doing that to another recruiter?

And surely the Head of Recruiting still watches a lot of the kids playing, even if it is footage at a later date.
I'm sorry - what exactly are your qualifications to understand his potential role so well?

6 months may not hamper his ability to judge the talent of a prospect, but everything else that comes along with the role would make it a highly improbable situation.

Only a club like Melbourne who has an acknowledged temporary Head of Recruiting in place, would seriously consider him. The Neil Craig link might make it work, but I still think it's a long shot.
No club is likely to take him on for only a couple of months, unless it is purely as a consultant.

For a start you didn't give an exact time frame - Or specify the type of job - Lots of jobs out there - Asst coach, List manager, Footy Manager - Say u are out of the loop for 6 months - That takes you through to September - Of course no club will appoint a Head recruiter at that stage unless it is an emergency. The reality is that if Rendell re-enters footy it will be for the 2013 season.

And I suggest that you research the job specifications for a Head Recruiter.

So that I can inform you?

The fact is that Matt Rendell has a wide skill set from performing different roles in the AFL industry, and he will find employment in the AFL if he desires.

And for your interest - recruiters don't just watch potential draftees for 6 months - Some players are tracked for 4 or 5 years.

Any of the potential 2012 draftees playing League or 2nds not under age - is underage in SA 3rds or is there a TAC Cup style underage comp?

Off the top of my head, there are three guys playing League at the moment - Jimmy Toumpass, Todd McKay (Round 1 Rising Star) and Emmanuel Irra.

Over the first two rounds of the U18s, Mason Middleton has 10 goals and 3 behinds. He might be a much bigger body compared to a lot of those around him, but he's still looking good.

A fair few are away with the AIS at the moment though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a little update on a few players...

- two underage players for the Eagles were their best in Round 1. Luke Dunstan and Lachlan Everett both got plenty of the ball, and between them barely missed a target all day.

- in Round 1, West Adelaide won by 135 points so while the stats may be a bit onesided, Oliver Johnson (180cm, 73kg) finished with 43 possessions and 19 clearances. Not too bad.

- a couple of my Norwood guys have had good starts, both O'Connor and Williamson were amongst the ball winners in their huge win.

- Simon Wong (174cm, 67kg) has also had a nice start for West Adelaide. Winning plenty of ball in their first two matches, and using the ball well going forward.

- a 6 goal haul is always nice, and that's what Michael McMahon (186cm, 72kg) did last weekend. Sure, his team won by 136 points but that's not the point.

- for Sturt, Harley Montgomery and Jarrad Leinart (190cm, 78kg) were two of their better players with 36 disposals and 6 goals respectively.

- two underage players for the Eagles were their best in Round 1. Luke Dunstan and Lachlan Everett both got plenty of the ball, and between them barely missed a target all day.

- in Round 1, West Adelaide won by 135 points so while the stats may be a bit onesided, Oliver Johnson (180cm, 73kg) finished with 43 possessions and 19 clearances. Not too bad.

- a couple of my Norwood guys have had good starts, both O'Connor and Williamson were amongst the ball winners in their huge win.

- Simon Wong (174cm, 67kg) has also had a nice start for West Adelaide. Winning plenty of ball in their first two matches, and using the ball well going forward.

- a 6 goal haul is always nice, and that's what Michael McMahon (186cm, 72kg) did last weekend. Sure, his team won by 136 points but that's not the point.

- for Sturt, Harley Montgomery and Jarrad Leinart (190cm, 78kg) were two of their better players with 36 disposals and 6 goals respectively.

Dunstan was great, Simon Wong is such a character:thumbsu:

This refers to underage footy?

Yeah, that was in the U18s.

Chris, do you know much about these players? Do you think any of these players will get drafted?

Liston (north)
Spina (north)
Mcmahon (north)
De Leonardis (north)
Hayes (glenelg)
Stark (glenelg)
Cummings (cent)
Castree (cent)
Moyle (south)
Hourigan (south)
Wong (west)
Leinert (sturt)
Davidson (port)
Whitlesea (eagles)

A lot of the players, I'm only starting to get to know now. After not paying much attention to underaged players last year, it's almost like starting fresh.

Of those you listed, three are underage - Spina, Hourigan and Davidson. With the way he has performed over the last year or so, I'm expecting a fair bit from Spina. And Hourigan is a nice size too, and should only keep growing.

McMahon and Leinart should be ones to watch. Like most of the forwards from SA this year, they aren't big KPPs and I'm sure Leinart will probably be described as undersized by some. But they have a nice enough size. McMahon pushing up from a forward flank could be particularly dangerous.

Other than that, a fair few guys around the 180cm mark. SA have produced a few small midfielders that I've liked, but haven't gotten drafted. Just a matter of continuing to win their fair share of the ball and be an attacking option going forward, and things will take care of themselves - be a Lachie Neale, not a Josh Waldhuter or Steve Rusca.

Over the first two rounds of the U18s, Mason Middleton has 10 goals and 3 behinds. He might be a much bigger body compared to a lot of those around him, but he's still looking good.

Mason's athletic ability is fantastic considering his mature build. He took some amazing hangers last year for Barmera.

Another good round of matches for some of my favourites...

- Daniel Williamson was back to his inside best. He finished with 10 clearances and 44 disposals - 36 of them being handballs. A strong game from him, and he is setting himself up well as one of SA's best inside midfielders.

- And I'm still very much on the Eddy O'Connor bandwagon. Played well through the midfield, providing attack going forward and finished with 22 disposals. Like I said in the OP, he is a nice size and at this stage I could see him going earlier than maybe expected.

- Oliver Johnson is setting himself up as the DreamTeam king of SA. So far this season has possession tallies of 44, 23 and 44. Hard to fault his kicking, tackling or clearance work.

- In terms of goal scorers, Michael McMahon kicked another 4, Jarrad Leinart got 5 more and the next big thing Mason Middleton finished with 3.

- Also in terms of next year, Luke Dunstan is staking his claim to be one of the first players picked. This week he finished with 50 disposals at 76% effectiveness, 14 marks, 4 tackles, 8 clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 5 Rebound 50s and 1 goal.

Another good round of matches for some of my favourites...

- Daniel Williamson was back to his inside best. He finished with 10 clearances and 44 disposals - 36 of them being handballs. A strong game from him, and he is setting himself up well as one of SA's best inside midfielders.

- And I'm still very much on the Eddy O'Connor bandwagon. Played well through the midfield, providing attack going forward and finished with 22 disposals. Like I said in the OP, he is a nice size and at this stage I could see him going earlier than maybe expected.

- Oliver Johnson is setting himself up as the DreamTeam king of SA. So far this season has possession tallies of 44, 23 and 44. Hard to fault his kicking, tackling or clearance work.

- In terms of goal scorers, Michael McMahon kicked another 4, Jarrad Leinart got 5 more and the next big thing Mason Middleton finished with 3.

- Also in terms of next year, Luke Dunstan is staking his claim to be one of the first players picked. This week he finished with 50 disposals at 76% effectiveness, 14 marks, 4 tackles, 8 clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 5 Rebound 50s and 1 goal.

two things, is he not mini draft this year? talking to him about in December/Janaury he was unsure

and i just want to say, SA's top pick of the 2013 draft, i called it first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back