Discussion 2012 Supercoach & Dreamteam

Remove this Banner Ad

New rules, tactics, player discussion - come at me.

Also links through to valuable resources should be put up soon - in the meantime there is a nice thread over on True Sainters worth a read with some great info from our very own AussieThunda / StkildaThunda: http://s7.zetaboards.com/truesainters/topic/8606119/1/

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Was thinking it was time to get some discussion happening on here about this.. Ill post this here aswell, its part 1 of preview of all the Saints players in supercoach/dreamteam perspective. It is in that link BBG posted but will post it here aswell..

http://tsjournal.net/2012/01/04/st-kilda-supercoachdream-team-preview-part-1/

St Kilda has gone through some major changes since their 2010 Grand Final loss to Collingwood, 21 players from their 2010 list are no longer at the club. That means nearly half the Saints list is first or second year players. The Saints have 23 players 22 years old or younger and 22 players that have played less than 20 games, 15 of those haven’t played a single game. Whilst they added so many young players they have managed to keep their core group together which is why heading into 2012 they are the oldest list in the AFL.

But whilst they have maintained their core group the simple fact is there will be only about 10-15 players from that group that will automatically get selected each week as new coach Scott Watters keeps an eye on the future. This means at least half the spots in the team is up for grabs for the younger players to fight for and that in turn there is potentially some Dream Team & Supercoach gold out there. Gone are the days that you just wouldn’t bother looking at the Saints youth for your fantasy teams, that’s now Fremantle’s problem!!

Jarryn Geary (Def)

Supercoach – $213K and Dream Team – $212K

During 2011 he only averaged 43, down from 65 in 2010. The drop in “form” was mainly due to being sub on couple occasions. Geary is currently having his best preseason to date. He is as fit as ever and it’s showing in all the endurance running and sprint work. He adds some pace off the back line that StKilda desperately need and can break lines. Is my early tip to have a “breakout” year in 2012.

Beau Wilkes – If this bloke isn’t an F/B then there is something terribly wrong with how the hand Dual Position out. He played half season as defender in WAFL and then went forward in second half season and averaged 3.8 goals a game. Will hold down full back and swing forward, but personally believe he will be used as Saints 3rd tall up forward. At basement price he is a lock. Will easily play 15+ games due to fact Saints lack key defenders/forwards.

Ahmed Saad (Fwd) – Is having impressive preseason to date. Having spoken to a few players and coaches I fully expect Saad to be a regular in 2012. Has speed and knows where the goals are. Fully expect him to play 15+ games. Is worth a spot on your bench.

Nicholas Winmar (Def)

Supercoach – $113K and Dream Team – $163K

Has had few ankle problems and from what I gathered when I spoke to him before Christmas he is a bit off resuming full training. Probably wouldn’t expect to see him early in the season. Keep away from him this year.

Jamie Cripps (Fwd)

Supercoach – $162K and Dream Team – $174K

Injured his quad at some stage early in preseason but seems to be running well and he reckons he’ll be in full training after the Christmas break. He finished 2nd in the Mornington Grand 1200-metre ocean swim. Has also been front-runner in few of time trials. Scott Watters has also hinted that Cripps could play a lot more off the back line in 2012, making him bit more tempting. He is basically priced as a rookie due to fact he played 4 games in 2011 as a sub. He averaged about 35-40 in 4 half games, where he also kicked 7 goals. Is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Rhys Stanley (Fwd)

Supercoach – $176K and Dream Team – $164K

Has really impressing the new coach so far this preseason and has visibly bulked up a fair bit. Watters seems to rate him highly but not sure he is fantasy relevant at all. Personally don’t think he is a ruckman, doesn’t show anything as a forward either. Don’t pick him unless you want someone to average about 30 for you.

James Gwilt, who is recovering from a serious knee injury hasn’t seemed comfortable whilst running on the few open training sessions we attended. Had a clear signs of a limp, and he never seemed to be able to bend his knee, runs with straight leg. At B&F he himself flagged a Round 5 return, but {keep in mind I’m no doctor} I wouldn’t be surprised if its more like Round 8-10 that he returns. One to keep an eye on for 2013.

Justin Koschitzke is looking the fittest he ever has and is possibly going to have his first ever uninterrupted preseason of his career. Will play as 2nd ruck but still shouldn’t come into anyone’s fantasy calculations.

Tom Simpkin (Def)

Supercoach – $231K and Dream Team – $197K

Simpkin played 2 games in 2011 and was subbed off at half time in both matches. But what was impressive is he was able to average 61 in supercoach & 50 in dream team in those matches. He has bulked up and is probably as big as Dawson ever was. Watters has hinted he will be given first crack at holding down full back. He is probably overpriced to come into calculations this year, but if your after a player around that $200K price you could give him a crack. Should play every game if his VFL form is anything to go by last couple years.

Ben McEvoy, has just been running laps at the training sessions I’ve attended but the endurance on this guy has to be admired. It’s quite remarkable that he is consistently in Saints top 5-10 in time trials. Is St Kilda’s only ruckman, which means he will play every single game and will play 90% game time every single week. Has round 13 bye which is added bonus as no other big name ruckman shares it with him. Should be high up on everyone’s watch list.

Lenny Hayes is back to full training and has been looking extremely fit and trains with no visible sign that he is coming off a serious knee injury. He seems to have full movement in his knee and hasn’t been afraid to twist and turn and put his body on-line in the tackling drills. Hayes will be very cheap for his standards in supercoach & dream team this year, BUT remember he will be 32 by time season starts, is coming off his second serious knee injury and before 2011 his average (particularly supercoach) were slowly in decline. Personally think he will be rested throughout the season to ensure he is in tip-top shape for finals. Is one to watch throughout the preseason but there is massive risk in picking him.

Trying to figure out what joke team I'm going to make this year so I can not have to worry about logging in.

Fair to say, struggling to think of things to do.

The RDO's? As in 'no tradies' ... :confused: OR the walking wounded = last year's injured players ... or players that most resemble farm animals ...

This year would be the first that the Cox/Sandi ruck combo is probably not the way to go. Exciting times.

After last year Big Mac would have to feature in a lot of teams. Here's some pricing for rucks in SC (lifted from TS):

Cox RUCK $662,600
Goldstein RUCK $613,600
Mumford RUCK $610,300
Sandilands RUCK $600,500
Leuenberger RUCK $554,200
Roughead RUCK/FWD $550,000
McEvoy RUCK $548,800
Naitanui RUCK $508,800
Jacobs RUCK $502,700
Griffin RUCK $492,800

If you're looking at 2 top 10 priced rucks for your main combo you're looking at about $1.5m for your ruck setup out of your $8.78m cap, so just under 15% - what are people's theories of return on investment for ruck position spend?

After last year Big Mac would have to feature in a lot of teams. Here's some pricing for rucks in SC (lifted from TS):

Cox RUCK $662,600
Goldstein RUCK $613,600
Mumford RUCK $610,300
Sandilands RUCK $600,500
Leuenberger RUCK $554,200
Roughead RUCK/FWD $550,000
McEvoy RUCK $548,800
Naitanui RUCK $508,800
Jacobs RUCK $502,700
Griffin RUCK $492,800

If you're looking at 2 top 10 priced rucks for your main combo you're looking at about $1.5m for your ruck setup out of your $8.78m cap, so just under 15% - what are people's theories of return on investment for ruck position spend?

We've gotta be looking for durability! Sandilands is out on that front. Mumford also a risk. I like a big Mac, Leuenberger combo or maybe even a Jacobs. Hamish McIntosh will be followed with interest.

We've gotta be looking for durability! Sandilands is out on that front. Mumford also a risk. I like a big Mac, Leuenberger combo or maybe even a Jacobs. Hamish McIntosh will be followed with interest.
Yep I'm with ya L2M4G, durability is king for all possies really - rookie upgrades aside

Burger isnt very durable though. Ravaged with injury up until last year... For me atm im running Macca, Giles, Stephenson & another rookie... Basically will use the partial lockout to see how Giles goes vs Sydney. If he scores 75-80+ will lock him in as 2nd ruck..

Keep eye on Trent West. Mid price and should be #1 ruck at the Cattery.

Burger isnt very durable though. Ravaged with injury up until last year... For me atm im running Macca, Giles, Stephenson & another rookie... Basically will use the partial lockout to see how Giles goes vs Sydney. If he scores 75-80+ will lock him in as 2nd ruck..

Keep eye on Trent West. Mid price and should be #1 ruck at the Cattery.

Can't see Giles lasting the full season though. Agree on West and Zac Smith is another with potential.

Can't see Giles lasting the full season though. Agree on West and Zac Smith is another with potential.

Dont need him to last entire season, will upgrade him. Basically money saved i can upgrade a mid rookie to a gun. Giles will probably average more then mid rookie. All part of a master plan that will probably change 10000000000000000000000 times before season starts and i probably end up running the McBurger combo :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont need him to last entire season, will upgrade him. Basically money saved i can upgrade a mid rookie to a gun. Giles will probably average more then mid rookie. All part of a master plan that will probably change 10000000000000000000000 times before season starts and i probably end up running the McBurger combo :D

Yeah that's true. I guess if he could last until Rounds 11-13, perfect time to upgrade.

This year would be the first that the Cox/Sandi ruck combo is probably not the way to go. Exciting times.

The past is not the future.
Last year many considered me stupid for not going with Cox / Sand.
I went with Cox/McEvoy ( with Petrie Forward ). I consider it an inspired choice. I thought Sandilands was overpriced and fragile.
This year I think Cox is suspect as far as performance per dollar, but Sandilands might be the go.

Great article guys, I was wondering whether there has been any more news on Hayes? Managed to find a picture of him on the board with no strapping around his knee and from the article above/training report it came from he seems to be firing at the moment.

Lenny will kick Chuck Norris' butt this season.

Some little mentioned Saints who might be worth watching for a return to form during the NAB cup, are:
Gilbert, Gram, and Montagna.
Montagna probably had a slightly different role last year than he did previously, maybe he'll rack up more points with Lenny back.
Gilbert and Gram have both won some good points in the past.

Hey guys

Got some great info on here so far! Thanks.

Any news on Tom Ledger? And job security at the moment?

Cheers

Hey guys

Got some great info on here so far! Thanks.

Any news on Tom Ledger? And job security at the moment?

Cheers

If he plays I think it will be in the midfield.
Lenny Hayes, Brendon Goddard, Nick DalSanto, Montagna, are locked in.
Steven, Armitage, Jones, Ray, Gram will probably get a game every week.

I could then see two or three players being selected from:
Peake, Polo, Cripps, Ledger, Ross.
The players in this group may also be in danger of being the sub.

There is also a chance that if Saad is selected, Scnieder may become a midfielder.

I'd be seriously looking for signs in the Intraclub and NAB cup before picking Ledger, but having said that, I see him as a player who could come in and make an impact and find himself a spot. He's a lightweight bloke, but a bit of a ball magnet IMO.

If he plays I think it will be in the midfield.
Lenny Hayes, Brendon Goddard, Nick DalSanto, Montagna, are locked in.
Steven, Armitage, Jones, Ray, Gram will probably get a game every week.

I could then see two or three players being selected from:
Peake, Polo, Cripps, Ledger, Ross.
The players in this group may also be in danger of being the sub.

There is also a chance that if Saad is selected, Scnieder may become a midfielder.

I'd be seriously looking for signs in the Intraclub and NAB cup before picking Ledger, but having said that, I see him as a player who could come in and make an impact and find himself a spot. He's a lightweight bloke, but a bit of a ball magnet IMO.

Ok thanks, Schneider spent some time in the middle in 2011 though didn't he?

There is someone who is going to come in for Dawson as well right?

Would that be Simpkin or Wilkes do you reckon?

Is Jarryn Geary looking like playing midfield or as a running defender?
For memory he was a midfielder two years ago where his DT was pretty good, then he got shifted to a dedicated midfield tagger / running defender where he struggled to find a consistent spot in the team.
During NAB last year he was coming ff the wing but got injured in the first play and he was forced to come back through VFL where he got injured and was out most of the season. Where did he play after that? Midfield or defensive runner(given he was a sub more often than not).

Ok thanks, Schneider spent some time in the middle in 2011 though didn't he?

There is someone who is going to come in for Dawson as well right?

Would that be Simpkin or Wilkes do you reckon?

Once again it will all depend on form.
Many people are saying that Simpkin ( who has beefed up a bit) will get first shot at full back.
Wilkes has just come from great form playing as a forward in the WAFL, but at the same time Justin Koschitski is fitter and enjoying his best pre-season for years.

Its also possible that both could show good form in the backline and they displace Blake.

Is Jarryn Geary looking like playing midfield or as a running defender?
For memory he was a midfielder two years ago where his DT was pretty good, then he got shifted to a dedicated midfield tagger / running defender where he struggled to find a consistent spot in the team.
During NAB last year he was coming ff the wing but got injured in the first play and he was forced to come back through VFL where he got injured and was out most of the season. Where did he play after that? Midfield or defensive runner(given he was a sub more often than not).

With Baker retiring there may be a spot in the backline up for grabs.
Other players contesting the spot may include, Gram, Peake, Cripps, and Ross.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back