Discussion 2012 Supercoach & Dreamteam

Remove this Banner Ad

No, don't think so, but that had better bloody change this week. A bit of a mystery as to why he didn't play round one and why he started sub last week. I'd have him in there (our side) ahead of Cripps and Newnes easily at the moment. Love the look of him. Physically and style-wise he's like Joey Montagna pt 2, but with more hard ball winning abilities. "See ball, get ball", bull-at-a-gate attitude and approach.

What chance Milera vest this week?
If he gets the vest this week (either one) I will not be happy and you guys ought to be thrilled. Cripps and Newnes are pretty lucky to still be in the side, so it's hard to see anyone other than one of them starting with it.

What do you guys think about Nick Riewoldt, always takes a lot of marks per game and if he can start kicking goals he could get back to his best.
Very good signs from Nick last week. He was playing on someone very young, but highly talented (2010 first round draft pick Tom Lynch, who is very mobile and 199cm and looks great for the future) but the thing was that Nick looked to have his old spark back, that I don't remember seeing for a long, long time. Basically all last year he was "Captain Grumpy", didn't look to be enjoying his footy at all and seemed to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. He reckons he's been enjoying his footy a lot more the past 6 or so weeks and it showed on the weekend. That is only going to help his footy if it continues.
His knees are most likely his biggest concern, but apart from that there were a lot of really good signs from him and it helps that we have two other genuine marking options up there to help him, in Kosi and Stanley, who need to be watched fairly closely, as their kicking for goal is generally very good.

Thoughts on Geary please, pretty good preseason, seems to be getting plenty of it. Can he keep it up? I jumped on Gilbert in his breakout year in round 3 and I'm hoping for a repeat.
Geary looks like he might be ready to cement a spot in the side this year, after having had good patches of seasons previously. Has 50 games up and is the right sort of age to really start to blossom. There don't seem to be too many others that look likely to take his place, except for possibly Gram, who is back in the VFL this week and even if he comes back in, I doubt it will be at Geary's expense, if he continues to impress as he has in the first two rounds. Looks like he has the back pocket to himself for the moment and also has that head over the ball, bull at a gate approach that Ledger has. Kicking can be a bit of a ? at times though.

No, don't think so, but that had better bloody change this week. A bit of a mystery as to why he didn't play round one and why he started sub last week. I'd have him in there (our side) ahead of Cripps and Newnes easily at the moment. Love the look of him. Physically and style-wise he's like Joey Montagna pt 2, but with more hard ball winning abilities. "See ball, get ball", bull-at-a-gate attitude and approach.
Think he's had a minor injury that's effected his fitness, if I remember right he expressed doubts about being able to run out a game at the season launch (can someone else help me out here, he said something along these lines).

Sub rule means clubs are a lot more cautious of players breaking down lest they have to activate early.

I think he'll stay in the team, I am more concerned what happens once Gram and Clarke :D come back into the team. I dont like making trades this early but if he is going to score 75+ and at 200k looks pretty decent.

And don't forget Mr.Gwilt. :D Can't wait for the smooth operator to be back. Injury update April 3 says 2-3 weeks. Probably back in the 22 by at least round 10.

That's true, forgot about Jimmy, who is doing full training at the moment, apparently, although we're still going to need someone shorter, like Geary, back there.
And Watters was quoted as saying that when Gwilt comes back, if Simpkin is holding down a spot down back, he hopes to play Gilbert a lot more through the midfield, like he did on the weekend.

Has Ledger ever played an AFL match (home and away/preseason) where he hasn't been a sub?

No he hasnt, hence all the warnings preseason about him being used as sub :thumbsu:

How do you guys think Montagna will go this year? Inconsistent like last year?

I initially did the stock standard Dickson-Milera trade but backed out and got Stanley instead upon some insight here (cheers guys). Is he also likely to get subbed at some point though? It appears you have a few talls that can pinch-hit is all...I haven't managed to see any Saints games because I thought you'd flog them both and didn't bother watching.
But overall I'm confident with Stanley's JS over Milera's. Good assessment?

I initially did the stock standard Dickson-Milera trade but backed out and got Stanley instead upon some insight here (cheers guys). Is he also likely to get subbed at some point though? It appears you have a few talls that can pinch-hit is all...I haven't managed to see any Saints games because I thought you'd flog them both and didn't bother watching.

I endorse these questions. Thank you in advance. :thumbsu:

Also in addition, is Stanley's role likely to change at all during the year or do you think his scoring potential should remain consistent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt Stanley will be subbed out any time soon, unless he has a really quiet game, touch wood, or they want to give him a break. Definitely expecting him to be given plenty of game time to continue to improve and develop and right now he's certainly carrying his weight and improving on almost a weekly basis.

He's spending probably 75% of his on-ground time in the forward line, where he's playing the same exact sort of role Riewoldt usually plays. ie. starting quite deep in the 50, but going on long leads, where he burns off whoever is playing on him and takes the mark 50-70m out, as well as contesting for marks inside the 50 (which he isn't anywhere near as good at, especially when there's any body contact involved). With his ridiculous speed he's also of course good at running into space over the top when the forward 50 is empty (Pagan's paddock style). (Unless there is someone trying to chase him down who is faster than this!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTSoy_sNaDA)

His kicking for goal is also generally very good, as he has a very correct sort of kicking style that doesn't allow for much to go wrong, generally and the ball usually flies very straight and spins really well. Then there's how far he kicks it. He kicked one last week off about half a step, when he was off balance and actually falling backwards a bit and it still went 50m and he can kick it 60m without seemingly putting much effort into it. I'd love to see how far he'd kick it if he really put everything into it. His around the ground kicking is also excellent for someone of his size (202cm). If he starts to believe in himself more, he could easily have shots for goal from anywhere up to 60m out. He could have easily kicked 4 on the weekend (but then so could Milera).

And then when he goes into the ruck he's actually very often been better than McEvoy in the centre bounces so far this year, as he jumps about 2 feet higher than McEvoy. When Mac gets his hitouts it's often difficult to tell if he's actually won them, when you're at the ground, but when Stanley wins his, he often wins them convincingly, like he did against Nic Natanui in the last quarter of our NAB Cup match a few weeks ago (when they went head to head for a quarter and Stanley convincingly won 4 centre bounce hitouts and was jumping just as high as Nic), or when he rucked against Jolly for the 2nd half of our last Nab Cup match, about a month ago, when he won almost every centre bounce hitout for the half, after Jolly had smashed Mac in the first half. He's not as good at the boundary throw-ins, or when it's a body contest, as it nullifies his leap and he's not all that physically strong, though.

So overall, he's just starting to scratch the surface of what he's capable of, as his physical attributes are pretty phenomenal, and the sooner he realises how much of an impact he can have and that he actually belongs out there, the sooner he'll start to really progress, I expect. But even in the meantime he's, as I said, improving pretty much on a weekly basis at the moment and if he continues to do so he won't be going anywhere any time soon (everything being equal). I reckon I'd be subbing Kosi off before him and also Kosi is the one I'd be sending back to Sandringham before Rhys, if Wilkes happened to be promoted (to the senior team) in the near future.

So I'd stick with him at least until he shows clear signs of dropping off. The only change in his role might be if McEvoy happened to miss any games, which would mean Rhys would basically have to ruck, as we don't really have anyone else but Kosi and Blake, would you believe! :thumbsu:

How do you guys think Montagna will go this year? Inconsistent like last year?
Anyone's guess at this stage. Been very quiet the first two weeks, although did start to come into it in the last quarter against Gold Coast last week, so that was a positive sign. On the flip side, all the heat was out of the game by then, so they were pretty easy possessions. Really needs to pull his finger out, unless he's had some sort of injury, or whatever, that has hampered his progress.

Mystery solved. He's reportedly playing with Gram (coming back from injury) in the Sandy reserves game this morning (Sandy have the bye), so it looks like they decided to get a full game in to him in the VFL ressies, after having missed two weeks ago and only playing 45 mins last week. They would have to have gotten permission for him to play in it, so it must be the lack of game time he's had, I'd say. Still strange though, as I reckon he would have had a ball last night, as I said.
Doubt he'll come in next week unless we have an injury, as pretty much everyone did their job last night. Unless they swap him for Cripps, who's not done a heap so far.

Would like to hear some Saints fans thoughts on Lenny Hayes. Obviously he is a favourite of St Kilda fans and he has started out brilliantly...

Really tempted to pick him up but I always feel nervous about guys come back from a knee reco... He is playing/scoring like a premium at the moment and sitting at 450k.... can get keep it up or will he tire? He has a proven track record of averaging over 100, is a he safe bet for that if he stays fit?

Mystery solved. He's reportedly playing with Gram (coming back from injury) in the Sandy reserves game this morning (Sandy have the bye), so it looks like they decided to get a full game in to him in the VFL ressies, after having missed two weeks ago and only playing 45 mins last week. They would have to have gotten permission for him to play in it, so it must be the lack of game time he's had, I'd say. Still strange though, as I reckon he would have had a ball last night, as I said.
Doubt he'll come in next week unless we have an injury, as pretty much everyone did their job last night. Unless they swap him for Cripps, who's not done a heap so far.

Even if this happened, then why name him and then not play him AGAIN. He has been treated very poorly for mine. I know its Supercoach angst, but forget that for a minute, it seems poor man mangement for mine. Interested in the Saints supporters views.

Even if this happened, then why name him and then not play him AGAIN. He has been treated very poorly for mine. I know its Supercoach angst, but forget that for a minute, it seems poor man mangement for mine. Interested in the Saints supporters views.

They probably thought it was better to get a full game into him in reserves rather then half game in AFL as was probably most likely going to be sub again. In first week he had minor hamstring injury which is why he missed, then last week he was sub and only played 1 qtr... Its called player management and id rather him get full game into his legs then maybe 1 qtr.

Would like to hear some Saints fans thoughts on Lenny Hayes. Obviously he is a favourite of St Kilda fans and he has started out brilliantly...

Really tempted to pick him up but I always feel nervous about guys come back from a knee reco... He is playing/scoring like a premium at the moment and sitting at 450k.... can get keep it up or will he tire? He has a proven track record of averaging over 100, is a he safe bet for that if he stays fit?
He's reportedly had a brilliant pre-season, so I don't expect he'll drop off through lack of fitness, or anything. I think he's as safe as just about anyone else, as long as he doesn't get injured, or anything like that (touch wood).
If nothing like that happens I'd think it was more likely that he'd get better, if anything. (Although it's hard to imagine him having a better game than he did on the weekend. That was one of his all time best. Was a bit surprised he didn't get more points for it, actually.)

It is very strange that we'd be naming him and then not playing him. Usually when you don't want to play someone you don't name them, so it's def a bit strange. I just hope he's being well informed of what is going on and why we're doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back