Status
Not open for further replies.

IDIG

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty popular thread from memory. For those trying to decide who start for GWS, let's take a walk down memory lane and see how the GC rookies went last year in their first game. I think they would be relevant numbers??

Round 2 - Carlton 26.15.171 def 7.10.52

Daniel Harris 109
Zach Smith 84
Trent McKenzie 67
Harley Bennell 65
Brandon Matera 64
Sebastian Tape 47
Danny Stanley 61
Dion Prestia 55
David Swallow 70
Joshua Toy 38 (on at HT)
Charlie Dixon 43
Alik Magin 25
Marc Lock 24
Karmichael Hunt 25

As it turns out Harris, Smith and Stanley became the decent cows with Matera not far behind. campaigner remained a spud and Swallow at his price was slightly better than basement priced mid rookies but not worth the extra coin imo.

By the above i think it's fair to say we could hope or expect similar numbesr from McDonald, Giles and Shiel. Folau will probably struggle and Coniglio will provide a solid return for the investment. I guess we could also liken Cameron to Dixon so shouldnt expect too much output against a well drilled Swans defence.

I think that would be a fair comparison?

Re: 2012 Which rookie do i start on the field thread

fair call. it's probably a fair comparision as gws are in the same position as gcs were last season. they will be rotating some players in and out of the team to get game-time into a lot of players. and as we know, the opposition is going to take the lion share of the 3,300 up for grabs. so it might be reasonable to expect that only 3-5 at the most will end up main-stayers so to say with a decent average, so it could be a bit important not to go overkill on the gws rookies.

i've not got coniglio either, well overpriced and i don't think he'll be worth the extra 80k or so over a mcdonald or something.

to kick things off...

Who do I start in my mids?

Which 3 out of pfeiffer, Shiel, Magner, Ledger, McDonald?

to kick things off...

Who do I start in my mids?

Which 3 out of pfeiffer, Shiel, Magner, Ledger, McDonald?

Sheil, Magner (Provided he is fit for round 1, and gets elevated) and Ledger are probably the best.

Ledger might suffer from the sub jacket early on, kind of like Gaff from last year.

If Magner doesnt get elevated or Ledger gets stuck with the jacket, Pfeiffer has the added bonus of being MPP.

McDonald will only play half the season, and hasn't been overly convincing during the NAB cup.

Is it me or is it very off putting even considering having Ledger in your team if that is the case. If the St Kilda faithful are right, we should expect alot of 20s and 30s which means he'll never make money. You'd be better off taking a risk with a GWS who'd be less likely to get subbed and more likely to get those couple of scores to moo.

Is it me or is it very off putting even considering having Ledger in your team if that is the case. If the St Kilda faithful are right, we should expect alot of 20s and 30s which means he'll never make money. You'd be better off taking a risk with a GWS who'd be less likely to get subbed and more likely to get those couple of scores to moo.

It will be a similar to Gaff last year. Purely frustrating for anyone who has him.

I'll be starting McDonald, Shiel, Kennedy, DSmith, Giles tonight. Should be fun. I do wonder what Bugg will do, ball should be in the backline a fair bit you'd think.

What was the nature of Shiels round 1 injury? I'm deciding between him and Mcdonald to start on the field so I'm wondering if Shiel is likely to be eased into it and subbed out.

It will be a similar to Gaff last year. Purely frustrating for anyone who has him.

Dodged that bullet :thumbsu:

I'm struggling to find a place for him, let alone a starting guernsy and i'm running and 1-0-5 midfield! :D

I'll be starting McDonald, Shiel, Kennedy, DSmith, Giles tonight. Should be fun. I do wonder what Bugg will do, ball should be in the backline a fair bit you'd think.

Was really hoping Darley would get a run tonight. Would have him in my team no worries.

Starting Smith, Sheil, Bugg and Giles at the moment. Previously considered Hombsch, but he didn't do much in the NAB cup, and hasn't really been spoken of very much.

dear lord I didn't even think about my STARTING team until now.

Backs: T Bugg, B Smedts and B Ellis [Need to fill 1 spot]
Mids: L Parker (not a rookie, but will he get a Rd 1 start?), D Smith, T Ledger and J Magner [Need to fill 2 spots]
Rucks: J Giles, J Redden and O Stephenson [Will probably go with Giles]
Fwds: D Pfeiffer, T Dickson, A Tomlinson and A Saad [Need to fill 2 spots]

thoughts appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodged that bullet :thumbsu:

I'm struggling to find a place for him, let alone a starting guernsy and i'm running and 1-0-5 midfield! :D

That could be interesting for you. I've stuck with the traditional 3-0-4 myself. Nothing special. :rolleyes:

That could be interesting for you. I've stuck with the traditional 3-0-4 myself. Nothing special. :rolleyes:

Cheat! haha. I'm guessing that's meant to be 3-0-3 starting mids. Even that has become less popular now with most running a 4-0-2.

Yeah i'm just trying to mix it up a little, I know Prompts ran this the other year with decent results but i've added a couple of middys rather than going pure GnR just in case they do fire.

dear lord I didn't even think about my STARTING team until now.

Backs: T Bugg, B Smedts and B Ellis [Need to fill 1 spot]
Mids: L Parker (not a rookie, but will he get a Rd 1 start?), D Smith, T Ledger and J Magner [Need to fill 2 spots]
Rucks: J Giles, J Redden and O Stephenson [Will probably go with Giles]
Fwds: D Pfeiffer, T Dickson, A Tomlinson and A Saad [Need to fill 2 spots]

thoughts appreciated.

You only need to worry about your Swans and GWS tonight cos once they're on, they're locked in. Shiel is a must IMO, McDonald would be up there as well. Giles would a lock unless you decide that you want to carry a non playing R4 and give a couple of the loop holes a shot. Pfieffer would be a starter for me and either Dickson or Saad

Cheat! haha. I'm guessing that's meant to be 3-0-3 starting mids. Even that has become less popular now with most running a 4-0-2.

Yeah i'm just trying to mix it up a little, I know Prompts ran this the other year with decent results but i've added a couple of middys rather than going pure GnR just in case they do fire.

Haha, I was wondering why my projections looked so good :p.

Cant bring myself to go with 4 premiums in the mids, too many quality rookies there in comparison to the backs or forwards.

I've generally advocated for the GnR stratergy, but its hard to ignore the bevy of quality break out players (Dangerfield, Kreuzer, Hanley, etc) and fallen premiums looking in fine form (Lake, Hargraves Malceski).

Tell me what to do people. Put Sheil and Mcdonaldson the field, or Shiel and Magner with Mcdonald emergency? I'm worried Magner will be a sub.

Tell me what to do people. Put Sheil and Mcdonaldson the field, or Shiel and Magner with Mcdonald emergency? I'm worried Magner will be a sub.
Can't see any reason why Magner would be subbed, he was one of their better mids during preseason. I think with his lack of match practice Shiel would be a more likely sub. I can't imagine a 19yo playing a full ALF match of the back of one NEAFL game.

Can't see any reason why Magner would be subbed, he was one of their better mids during preseason. I think with his lack of match practice Shiel would be a more likely sub. I can't imagine a 19yo playing a full ALF match of the back of one NEAFL game.

Yeah that's my concern with Sheil, he's coming back from an injury and has only played one game, then some people say McDonald will get subbed too. Arrrrg...decisions.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some opinions on who to start on the ground. Currently my preferred options are:

D: Ellis Bench: Spurr, Bugg
M: Magner Bench: Shiel, Kennedy
R: Giles Bench: Redden
F: Hall Bench: Smith, Pfeiffer

I'm particularly unsure about the forward line.

I'm also interested in opinions on these rookies. I've obviously left out McDonald which I'm very unsure about.

You could go -
Ellis - Bugg (e)
Magner - Shiel (e)
Hall - Smith (e)

Get a look at their scores and then decide if you want to keep their scores.

Spurr, Magner, Hall are not locks for round 1 but will be there or thereabouts so you could run the risk of starting a non-player for round 1. It does leave you vulnerable to late withdrawals though..

Coniglo or Shiels - currently have both in side - who would you start?

If you are spending the money on Coniglio, surely you have to have the faith and start him.

I'm down to Ledger v. McDonald for my last mid rookie.

Ledger has sub risk but he seems to be a good scorer when he is playing. Maybe the hope you have is they give the vest to Cripps in R1 and Ledger does enough to stay away from it! Watters is going to want a few of the younger guys to play week in week out so he has something to point to if they play like s**t again this year.

McDonald is interesting in that Scully and Power are missing and due back round 2. I'd say they would want Ward to play centre square and I struggle to see Scully, Palmer or McDonald playing anywhere but inside mid. McDonald might sit out when Scully and Power are back? That's an issue with Shiel too but I suspect they'll want to develop guys like Coniglio and Shiel infront of playing ALL the experienced players.

McDonald is interesting in that Scully and Power are missing and due back round 2. I'd say they would want Ward to play centre square and I struggle to see Scully, Palmer or McDonald playing anywhere but inside mid. McDonald might sit out when Scully and Power are back? That's an issue with Shiel too but I suspect they'll want to develop guys like Coniglio and Shiel infront of playing ALL the experienced players.

Stellar post that :thumbsu:

It would appear that it would be McDonald or no McDonald, not being subbed at any stage right? He doesnt seem the type. On Power I remember reading he was picked in part to play a coach like role. Obviously all the experienced players will be doing that but i remember reading specific comments relating to Power so i'm not so sure how much time he'll spend in the guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back