Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Starts tomorrow!! :thumbsu:

There is a game on tomorrow at 8:30am EST on Eurosport. Last year they only showed Canada in the preliminary round and I believe they will be doing the same. I am annoyed though, because they will again be giving first preference to the Spengler Cup and we only get coverage from 8:30 even though the Canada vs Finland game (which is what we'll get) begins at 7am. It's described as live, so I'm thinking we'll only get to see the last period, or at best, a period and a bit.

I can’t complain as any coverage is appreciated but it’s a pretty big tease when you think about it. Hopefully the latter stages of the tournament are shown all the way through, which from memory happened last year.

From a Red Wings standpoint, I can't wait to see Pulkkinen alongside the two Granlund bothers, and Tomas Jurco for Slovakia.

Well the Sharks only have one player in the WJC (as we traded Coyle and our German was in Div 1) and that is Freddie Hamilton, brother of the Bruins stud D-man Dougie. Interested to see how he goes, been picked as a kind of Pavelski for the Canadian team. Can score, can defend.. swiss army knife. It is also great for him not only to play alongside his bro, but to be there considering he was a 5th rounder 1.5 years ago.

Dallas has 4 players.

Jamie Oleksiak made Team Canada, he's a Tyler Myers type so will be interesting to see how he goes, we have high hopes for him on the blue line. Mountain size about him

Two other blue liners on team Sweden, Shut Down Defenseman Patrick Nemeth who is playing well in the swedish elite league and JOhn Klinberg, offensive defenseman.

Highest profile Stars prospect will be Jack Campbell starting goalie for Team USA. His 3rd Championship. Won gold two years ago and won bronze last year but was brilliant with a 1.70 GAA and 9.41 %. He will have to play well though. if he stinks early USA will give Gibson the reigns.

Really excited to see what Jack can do.

Jack Campbell's an interesting one, you look at his junior stats and they kinda stink, but he plays in the high scoring OHL where it's very difficult to get a read on goalie's stats. Hey, Tommy McCollum was a star in the OHL but he's very, very, very close to official bust status.

Petr Mrazek has stats similar to Campbell but I've heard nothing but great things about him. He's the Czech's starting goalie at the Champs.

Well the Sharks only have one player in the WJC (as we traded Coyle and our German was in Div 1) and that is Freddie Hamilton, brother of the Bruins stud D-man Dougie. Interested to see how he goes, been picked as a kind of Pavelski for the Canadian team. Can score, can defend.. swiss army knife. It is also great for him not only to play alongside his bro, but to be there considering he was a 5th rounder 1.5 years ago.
His stats look pretty good, you think he's got a chance of making it? AHL for him next season I guess?

I think he has a chance of making it as a 3rd liner in future.. potential for second line scoring imo. Don't know if he can be a Pavelski (which is first line scoring now). He will play AHL next year definitely, we signed him this year on a 3 year deal so he will be in our system.

As for Campbell, it is hard to get a read on goalies in juniors, but his numbers compared to others last year were nothing short of manure. You can have the Quick type goalies who sit behind a great defence and not face many shots which leads to good GAA and average SV% or you can get the opposite which is usually a good goalie sitting behind a weak team.

However.. 3.8GAA = bad and more bad.

Campbell is looking like a Niemi type goalie.. can turn it on in the playoffs but stinks most of the time. If you look at his Junior stats.. they are worthy of 2T of potpourri.

Difficult to analyse his junior stats, when he started for windsor last season in his first year of Canadian junior all their top players had gone and there defense were a mess, he didnt handle himself well but improved as the year went on.

Since the trade to Sault St Marie this year he has played well. over 91% save % and under 3 GAA. He hasn't flourished, but he is improving.

Still will have another season in junior to improve.

Has anyone seen much of Tanner Pearson?

He went undrafted in the NHL last year, and was taken in the second last round of the OHL draft, yet leads the OHL in scoring easily this year..and makes Team Canada.

Playing with Mark Schiefele must pad him a little but still he has 17 more points than his next best team mate, interesting kid.

Not a good tournament for Jack Campbell so far.. let in 7 goals in 2 games, although the three against Denmark were PP markers. Still, your best PKer is your goalie.

Funny thing from yesterdays Russia v Latvia game was Kuznetsov getting 9 points.. put him into a tied lead for most points in the tourney.. on 9 points. Absent in the other two games basically. Sounds like a russian player to me :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only chance the U.S. has for staying out of the relegation round is if Denmark upsets Finland tonight but Denmark officials decided to scratch five players for goofing around at the press-room podium after their 10-2 loss to Canada.

:D

Funny thing from yesterdays Russia v Latvia game was Kuznetsov getting 9 points.. put him into a tied lead for most points in the tourney.. on 9 points. Absent in the other two games basically. Sounds like a russian player to me :D

He had a chance to equal Forsberg's tournament record of ten points in a game but they kept him off the ice for the final two minutes.

The only chance the U.S. has for staying out of the relegation round is if Denmark upsets Finland tonight but Denmark officials decided to scratch five players for goofing around at the press-room podium after their 10-2 loss to Canada.

:D
I saw that, was awesome :D Mucking around how they were favourites and got hammered.

Sounds like Mzarek is excited as well. Looking forward to seeing his much talked about celebrations.
His celebrations are absolute gold! Especially given the game wasn't even over yet!

Eurosport more interested in showing the exciting cross-country skiing than the USA-Canada match up.

Here's a free live-link to the games. Sign up is quite simple. Quality of video isn't the best.

http://hockeycanada.fasthockey.com

Never dull beating America in anything. :thumbsu:
I actually love the cross-country skiing. ;) Tour de Ski FTW. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back