2012 WTA Tournments

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow what a win by Safarova!! :thumbsu: Laterz Caro. :D

Was a really entertaing match, Lucie clearly the better player throughout and deserved the win. She had so many chances to break, wasted lots, but saving those three match points at 0-40 in the third was unbelievable, what clutch play.

I don't know the stats but the winner count was something like 55 to 20, in Lucie's favourite of course. This Wozniacki is a joke, she won here last year, 2R this year, enjoy the huge loss of points. :)

Azarenka just destroyed Barthel who was really poor, didn't even look like she wanted to be out there, Vika didn't play an amazing match but her consistency was just too much.
i dont like azarenka but the bottom line is she the most consistent big hitter on the circuit meaning she hits more winners than UE in nearly every match she plays, kvitova is arguably more talented but is more inconsistent. There is a gap between those 2 and the rest imo, wozniacki is a joke, getting alot of balls back doesnt make you a great player, making something happen does.

Well Sam won 7-6 6-4. Good to see she plays cetkovska next who beat ivanovic. I love watching Kerber play already. She is one of the best defenders in the game and knows how to hit the lines aswell. Safarova beat wozniacki 4-6 6-4 7-6. Vika won 6-0 6-1.
did anyone expect anything else to happen?, shes not in australia anymore so normality in regards to being the better player resumes. Cirstea wont beat stosur anywhere else other than australia its as simple as that.

Sam through to the QF's after beating Cetkovska 6-3 6-2. 10 Winners and 18 U/E is a bit of a worry. But she should get through to the semis she plays Niculescu next. A match up against Bartoli in the semis would be good to watch. Azarenka contuined her good form beating Halep 6-3 6-1.

Sam through to the semis after beating Niculescu 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. :thumbsu:

Regardless of whether she faces Bartoli or Safarova, it should be an entertaining semi.

Well done Sam. She's closing in on Wozniacki as she's gained points and Woz lost a fair amount. The last time she played Bartoli she was smashed, although it was after a really short turn around from that SF in Osaka, so I think she was knackered. I think she's troubled by her flat hitting so I don't expect her to win, but she's done her job this week.

Sam into the final with a Bartoli retirement in the first game of the second set where she did something to her calf. Sam was playing pretty well, actually quite aggressive, was good to see. This will giver her a lot of confidence even if this was a easy road to the final tbh.

Azarenka beats Radwanska for the third tournament in a row, this time in straight sets.
Provided that injury isn't that serious she should win her third title of the year.

In terms of a Premier tournament, this has been a very easy draw for Sam up til the semis. But it has been good that she has got the job done and made the final. It also kick starts her season and gets her some ranking points for the season. Since the US Open, basically the Year End Championships and this tournament are her best efforts. No chance in the final though (Azarenka has lost only 15 games in her 4 matches).

The draw is out for Dubai next week and the top 6 women are playing apart from Sharapova. Stosur will most likely face Safarova in the 2nd round.

Its a shame Marion had to pull out, although apparently she's had some very tough matches these past two weeks so she was probably a bit spent. Anyway, great effort from Sam to make the final, extra cash and points can never go astray. She's never gotten close to Azarenka though, so hopefully she can at least push her.

Also this is a bit off topic, but seeing as they're in the middle east do they get an exemption or something to wear their outfits? No way they'd be walking down the street like that....

Perfect final!! :thumbsu:

Sammy was playing awesome and was well on her way to beating Bartoli who pulled out I guess through fatigue. I got an idea Marion, less weight, less ridiculous bouncing, and maybe you wouldn’t be so tired in the latter stages of tournaments? Sammy was playing great, hitting the forehand beautifully and hitting some unbelievably crunching winners. She’ll throw in a cringeworthy error fairly regularly but then follow it up with some sublime hitting. When she’s off she’s horrible to watch, but on the flipside, when she’s on there aren’t much better with her serve and unbelievable forehand. She really was standing up on the court and pounding the ball last night, good to see.

As for Azarenka, she was playing lights out tennis yet again until she injured her ankle in the first game of the second set. She took a medical time-out, struggled in the first 5 or so minutes after resumption but once the pain relief kicked in she was again moving pretty well and hitting the ball as clean as ever. She’s just in unbelievable form right now, not missing a single shot from the baseline, hitting with such confidence and belief in her abilities. It’s a beautiful sight to see someone at the top of their game with supreme confidence, and that’s Azarenka right now. :) Can’t stand Radwanska though, she could win the greatest rally of all time and she’s still have the same blank expression on her face. I like players who show some emotion and she displays none, at any stage. Her constant drop shotting after Vika rolled her ankle got tiresome too. Thankfully Azarenka, being the far superior talent, could comfortably win the second set despite clearly being hampered.

Sure is a good time to be a fan of Djokovic and Azarenka. :D

Stosur/Azarenka matches just crush my soul. Seriously.... :(

Yes, it seems they crush Sam's as well. I guess there's a lot of positives to take out of this week though, no one was expecting her to make a premier final and she seems to have turned her form around a bit. She's also closing in number 4. However, I think its a bit worrying that see cannot get anywhere near Azarenka at all. In the first set the UE ratio was like Azarenka 4/4, Stosur 7/14, so if you solely look at those stats, Azarenka was not doing anything special, which leads one to think it is as much a mental thing as it is a matchup issue. Oh yeah and that fact that its Azarenka makes it even more annoying (sorry Drummond). Oh well, such is life, onto next week.

It still surprises me to a high degree that Stosur's only managed 3 career titles. Pretty darn low for someone who's been around the top for quite a few years.

Azarenka just keeps on rolling on, she should withdraw from Dubai though just in case that ankle gets into worse shape.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all knew that result was coming. Didnt think it would be that easy though. Good to see Vika is still winning after winning a GS. Most women players fall off the radar a bit after winning one. Hopfully another good week for Sam in Dubai coverage begins on Eurosport tonight at 9PM.

Azarenka is just way too good for anyone right now. Amazing confidence, and just not making any mistakes despite hitting the ball within inches of the lines. :thumbsu: While maybe not quite to the same extent, she's going to have a Djokovic like year IMO.

Real shame Kvitova is out of Dubai. :(

Why is Radwanska always first on the schedule???

Garbage OOP today, probably won't watch any, although interested to see where Hercog's hard court game is at.

I guess Ivanovic/Schiavone could be alright.

What the bloody hell happened? I know she hit a few U/E against Safarova (who herself is wildly inconsistent) but to hit 39 U/E in a relatively short space of time is Jarmila 2012 like. I CBF with a stream, but I hope she wasn't feeling well or something, because this sounds very dodge.... No Vika, Masha and Kvitova she really could've capatilsed this week.

Arguably more annoyed about this loss than the AO loss. Would be surprised if she picks it up in the States, let's remember she got a cakewalk draw last week....

Yeah, but she was still on her way to beating Bartoli, beat Safarova the other day (who has troubled her in the past). I dunno, I'm surprised you're so annoyed Matt, its still Feb, and it seems she may've been unwell (if the TF people are anything to go by....) She defended her points, and I don't think Caro can make any (she won this thing last year I think).

I like Lisicki, a lot, but crying at the changeover? Seriously??

You are a headcase Sabine, in order to reach your serious potential you need to sort your head out. Will it ever happen? Not sure, but I hope it does because when she's on she's one of the best to watch on tour, such an explosive game.

I like Lisicki, a lot, but crying at the changeover? Seriously??

It's not really surprising considering the absolute mauling she was given today. Nothing went right for her at all.

I'm a big Radwanska fan and I'm happy she got the win, but Lisicki was painful to watch today. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back