feeling_this

Rookie
Mar 27, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Figured it was time to move away from the "player movements" thread and focus on the season itself.

Looks as though it will be a very interesting season.

Newtown is the big story, of course, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I hope they fail.

Whether or not they win a flag or make finals, I think it's time for Football Geelong to pull their finger out and look at some sort of player cap. Either a salary cap or a points system. The gap between the rich and poor clubs is getting beyond a joke. Every year Football Geelong says the competition will be much more even, however the clubs at the top aren't falling, and the clubs at the bottom aren't rising.

The only positive thing that Football Geelong have done, is introduce the Colts system in the U18s. In my opinion, it will be much easier for clubs to keep their kids if they are winning. Young guns from struggling clubs are poached every year by successful clubs because the kids want to play in a winning side. Agree?

" Newtown is the big story, of course, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I hope they fail.

Every year Football Geelong says the competition will be much more even, however the clubs at the top aren't falling, and the clubs at the bottom aren't rising. "

You say the bottom arent rising but Newtown have been a bottom side for a long time. In order to get off the bottom you have to do what the clubs at the top do and that is get the club running well, making money which in turn allows you to source good players.

I think the points system has merrits but at the end of the day all that does is push up the worth of these good players. In the end the rich clubs still win out.

" Newtown is the big story, of course, but I don't think I'm alone when I say I hope they fail.

Every year Football Geelong says the competition will be much more even, however the clubs at the top aren't falling, and the clubs at the bottom aren't rising. "

You say the bottom arent rising but Newtown have been a bottom side for a long time. In order to get off the bottom you have to do what the clubs at the top do and that is get the club running well, making money which in turn allows you to source good players.

I think the points system has merrits but at the end of the day all that does is push up the worth of these good players. In the end the rich clubs still win out.
I watched Newtown yesterday, without Ottens they didnt look very good. Bell Park had a few out as well. Hard to see South Barwon not winning the flag this year...

the colts is the worst thing the league has ever done, it now separates the under 18's from the rest of the club which means kids playing well are never seen by senior coaches and can't make a senior debut.

as for newtown and hoping they fail? purely because after years of not spending anything they finally chase high profile recruits which inturn has brought more business for the club than anything. you need to spend money to make money and you need money to be a successful club.

They spent big 25 or so years ago and nearly went broke. We'll see if this time is any different I guess.

On a side note, I see that Bomber Bligh received an award recently. Legend!!

whats everyones thoughts on the interleague match tomorrow? its sure to be wet and windy, so Geelong would want to be on their game tomorrow else we might see the same result as two years ago in ballarat when they beat us.

whats everyones thoughts on the interleague match tomorrow? its sure to be wet and windy, so Geelong would want to be on their game tomorrow else we might see the same result as two years ago in ballarat when they beat us.

Daniel Lovick from St Josephs I think.. What a freak and sensational footballer... Dominated all day on the hbf and did as he liked. Whats his background? Has he ever played falcons, VFL etc..at 25 he seems to have all the attributes??

Lovick has played some VFL and I believe was at Ballarat Rebels in TAC Cup. He tied for GFL League Medal in 2011.

Daniel Lovick from St Josephs I think.. What a freak and sensational footballer... Dominated all day on the hbf and did as he liked. Whats his background? Has he ever played falcons, VFL etc..at 25 he seems to have all the attributes??

Yes daniel lovick has been a top up player at geelong off and on for the last 4 or 5 years and has attended a draft screening at some stage!! Very good running defender and has great height and gives 100% each game and was a worthy winner of mathieson medal last year as a half back!!

the colts is the worst thing the league has ever done, it now separates the under 18's from the rest of the club which means kids playing well are never seen by senior coaches and can't make a senior debut.

That's a lie, pretty sure most colts teams play with their seniors side every 2nd week, and even still, a game is done early enough so a coach see a half-3/4 at a minimum at another venue

Best thing the league has done In ages, will keep kids from lower clubs in footy a lot longer, and will improve the quality of football in years to come

That's a lie, pretty sure most colts teams play with their seniors side every 2nd week, and even still, a game is done early enough so a coach see a half-3/4 at a minimum at another venue

Best thing the league has done In ages, will keep kids from lower clubs in footy a lot longer, and will improve the quality of football in years to come

Totally agree. The Colts is the best thing to happen to junior footy in a long time.

I reckon a few of the GFL boys will be a bit nervous about getting knocked off by the three BFL clubs.

Things have gone quiet in the GFL threads. What are peoples thoughts so far?

I think its the same 2 teams who will battle it out in Sth Barwon and Bell Park. Newtown and Leopold have improved but not enough to challenge just yet, St Josephs i think are just below the top 2, and St Marys have dropped off a bit. North Shore are still struggling as are GSWP, St Albans showing improvement and Colac are around the mid table mark as usual. Lara have been flat-track bullies, thrashing lower sides by big margins but not getting close to the better sides.

Things have gone quiet in the GFL threads. What are peoples thoughts so far?

I think its the same 2 teams who will battle it out in Sth Barwon and Bell Park. Newtown and Leopold have improved but not enough to challenge just yet, St Josephs i think are just below the top 2, and St Marys have dropped off a bit. North Shore are still struggling as are GSWP, St Albans showing improvement and Colac are around the mid table mark as usual. Lara have been flat-track bullies, thrashing lower sides by big margins but not getting close to the better sides.
It has gone quiet. Where is everyone?the new site doesnt help either. It was so hard to get around and get to this thread. the lighter colours, not knowing where the links are. You are spot on about the GFL.South Barwon and Bell Park in the finals. Joeys a close third. will things ever change? Seems year in and year out there is a great disparity in the top and bottom teams.There is no way North Shore and teams like St Albans will ever get anywhere. So called footy experts can tip all they like on the radio each week but they are only stating the obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newton have to be danger for top three, but stating the bloody obvious the moons (well 3 ex AFL players) have to allign but they can do it.

Lara definitely better than last year but dont have goal to goal line (other than Bloomfield) to be serious challengers, also probably 2 big men short. Will improve again next year with so many new guys and coaching structure this year.

Dont think others can cause any damage

As the writer says, a 5 goal diff between Bell Park and Queenscliff is being kind. While there are some top players in the BFL, the depth of teams drops away (bottom 10 players) in the BFL compared to the GFL.

Well with the amount of money they have, if they don't win this year, then it will have to be very soon, they will need some return on investment. That's the way it is these days but good luck to them!
also heard Scarlett will retire and play local footy with his old Geelong mates are Newtown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back