GFL 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to for North Shore?

Oblivion i fear. They look dead in the water. Lack of funds, facilities, players, supporters. As somebody who hated them with a passion in their successful years, its honestly a sad situation.

Anyone in the know at Grovey confirm they have spent around 220k this year on incoming players wages?

Oblivion i fear. They look dead in the water. Lack of funds, facilities, players, supporters. As somebody who hated them with a passion in their successful years, its honestly a sad situation.

Surely the time has come for the 3 leagues in Geelong to get together and have 3 divisions with promotion/relegation.
I'm not having a crack at north shore but they are on there knees as a club in my opinion, constant floggings in the 1's and 2's, no 'A' grade netball side and there junior footy sides are all in the 3rd or 4th division of the respective grades.

Anyone in the know at Grovey confirm they have spent around 220k this year on incoming players wages?

Not sure, but they definitely needed to recruit some quality players and it seems to be paying off for them at the moment.

Does anyone think the top 5 will stay as is for the rest of the year? Or can you see anyone coming in or anyone dropping out by years end?

hey gus
I know a bit about the tigers and there is know way that they are paying that much , i doubt they would be spending half that maybe the new recruits came to tigerland as they could see that the club is on the way up. Mind you gus we are very lucky to be so close to deakin where 5-6 of the recruits are studying and wanted to play in the GFL.

hey gus
I know a bit about the tigers and there is know way that they are paying that much , i doubt they would be spending half that maybe the new recruits came to tigerland as they could see that the club is on the way up. Mind you gus we are very lucky to be so close to deakin where 5-6 of the recruits are studying and wanted to play in the GFL.

Cheers.

I have no reason to doubt the person who told me this as his son is one of the better young players in the GFL and he knows a lot of people around the league.

Just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone from Burdoo way knew a bit more.

I guess the truth is generally somewhere in between both versions of a story.

Where to for North Shore?
yeah know good wood duck they were shocking on the week-end sad to see looking over at the coaches box during the reserves there was the coach and the runner only, know trainers know water runners and know interchange. You could count there supporters on one hand for the entire day, a bit sad but maybe its there time to go through the pain.

The problem with North Shore is it's in a dead area.

There's no growth of population occurring like other parts of the city. There's not a swathe of young families moving to the area to start topping up the junior teams to build up from the ground.

A merge with Corio is the most logical move for that area to build a stronger club around that whole area.

hey gus

Hey honky tonk, I reckon getting a gun former junior in Young back from Port Adelaide so early in the off season has helped the tigers recruit some very handy footballers. Good to see the tigers so competitive this year.

The problem with North Shore is it's in a dead area.

There's no growth of population occurring like other parts of the city. There's not a swathe of young families moving to the area to start topping up the junior teams to build up from the ground.

A merge with Corio is the most logical move for that area to build a stronger club around that whole area.

I think it might be better for north shore to drop down a level for a few years and try to rebuild the club instead of merging with anyone.. At the moment they aren't up to GFL standard on or off field by the looks of things, but it would be better to go to the gdfl and try and come back than merge with Corio or disappear completely.

I think it might be better for north shore to drop down a level for a few years and try to rebuild the club instead of merging with anyone.. At the moment they aren't up to GFL standard on or off field by the looks of things, but it would be better to go to the gdfl and try and come back than merge with Corio or disappear completely.

Merging has been proven in the GFL to create stable and in the case of South Barwon successful clubs.

It can work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merging has been proven in the GFL to create stable and in the case of South Barwon successful clubs.

It can work.

I understand that it can work, but hypothetically if that merge was to happen the side would obviously be in the gdfl, where does that leave the GFL? They wouldn't want 11 teams and create a bye. But who comes into the GFL? Torquay in my opinion are probably the only other club in geelong that would be able to come in. But then that leaves the Bfl with an odd amount of clubs.

My solution would be to make a three tiered league with promotion/relegation between each division.

Hey honky tonk, I reckon getting a gun former junior in Young back from Port Adelaide so early in the off season has helped the tigers recruit some very handy footballers. Good to see the tigers so competitive this year.
dead right rex bringing his mate erskine certainly helped, bell warren, leeds and smith al had the luke primus connection but the big one was ryley hall who had some massive offers from other GFL clubs but chose the tigers as he lives at deakin and has fitted in really well.

I understand that it can work, but hypothetically if that merge was to happen the side would obviously be in the gdfl, where does that leave the GFL? They wouldn't want 11 teams and create a bye. But who comes into the GFL? Torquay in my opinion are probably the only other club in geelong that would be able to come in. But then that leaves the Bfl with an odd amount of clubs.

My solution would be to make a three tiered league with promotion/relegation between each division.

You have to factor in Netball as well. It works well financially for clubs to have football and netball teams playing at the same time as each other.

If the football team is very strong and the netball teams very weak it doesn't work if you have the football team go up to GFL when the netball teams are only GDFL/BFL standard.

You have to factor in Netball as well. It works well financially for clubs to have football and netball teams playing at the same time as each other.

If the football team is very strong and the netball teams very weak it doesn't work if you have the football team go up to GFL when the netball teams are only GDFL/BFL standard.

I agree there's a lot of different factors in regards to promotion/relegation, but something needs to be done otherwise there could be some clubs disappear for good. How much longer can nth shore, portarlington, newcomb continue in there current situations?

Surely the time has come for the 3 leagues in Geelong to get together and have 3 divisions with promotion/relegation.
I'm not having a crack at north shore but they are on there knees as a club in my opinion, constant floggings in the 1's and 2's, no 'A' grade netball side and there junior footy sides are all in the 3rd or 4th division of the respective grades.

It is clearly the best thing for football in the region but it is clubs like North Shore that would oppose it because GFL club wouldnt want the "indignity" of dropping down a level. Clearly a club like North Shore would benefit from that at the minute but until they see the greater good it just wont happen. They will just keep gettting thrashed week in week out and wont ever come back. Clubs like Portarlinton, Newcomb, Geelong West (although much improved) and others can attest to that. I reckon a club would rather win games a level down than get pumped every week. It works in so many other leagues including the biggest in metro Melbourne so why wouldnt it work here. It has been a revelation at under 18 level down here creating an more even comp. The GFL clubs need to get their heads out of their arses and get behind this for the greater good. I reckon someone above football geelong needs to come in a get this done.

Just a complete lie whoever started that. Grovedale got Jarrod Young and Erskine who they would be paying pretty well seens as tho they came from the SANFL. Heath Brown and Dyson Bell Warren would probably be on a little bit but nothing major, and the rest of the recruits were found through these BIG recruits or just uni boys that wouldnt even get $100 a game. They would be nowhere near that mark

And to add to that, apparently they payed less then 60k last year on players which is understandable because they weren't any good so i would be very, very surprised if they jumped 150k in one year.

Just wondering people's thoughts on The south barwon players hearing for bump on Matt miller of leopold being held after inter league game? And what sort of suspension should someone recieve for ending someone's season with a bump

Just wondering people's thoughts on The south barwon players hearing for bump on Matt miller of leopold being held after inter league game? And what sort of suspension should someone recieve for ending someone's season with a bump

The timing(post Interleague) is interesting Nashhh. I see the player in question served some time last year after getting pinged on video, bit of a trend there! Surely looking at a decent spell second time around.

Should be a 10 weeks ban minium in my opinion, said player has form with this sort of stuff.

This finding is perplexing at best and extremely disturbing. Miller had his head over the ball when Tutungi ran through him elbow out and colecting Miller clean on the jaw. The reasoning the tribunal gave for clearing Tutungi was the the hit was accidental. This goes in the face of everything that has happened in football over the last 5-6 years regarding contact to the head and sets a very dangerous precedence. Duty of care gets blown out of the windows and if you say it was accidental (I this case, it CLEARLY wasn't) you get off.

"I think one of the things this tribunal has said is if one bloke goes out for that period of time the other must too," - This quote is from the tribunal chairman Geoff Stribley in 2009 regarding a St Albans player that got 8 weeks for breaking an opponent's jaw.

Source: http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/05/21/72021_news_pf.html

I truly hope this is not the end of this and it is appealed by the relevent authorities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back