HB S Mitchell H Taylor J McVeigh
C R Griffen J Selwood K Jack
HF L Thomas J Kennedy C Wingard
F J Roughead T Cloke M Walters
R W Minson G Ablett S Pendlebury
I D Swan T Boak N Fyfe P Dangerfield

That'd be my team

Are they vying for the same position?
Buddy is more of a tall flanker than KPP, the difference in marking stats is telling..

Of course, thats why one will probably make the team whilst the other will just make the squad. But for people to claim that it is joke that Franklin made the squad is rubbish.

As I said, his year by his standards was ok. By the competitions standards its been good.

no way will he get in mate, Kennedy, both Riewoldt's, Roughead, Cameron have all had better years.

I have never said that he will make the team. I just said he has every right to make the squad.

And no J.Riewoldt, Kennedy and Cameron haven't had better years then him. They have had years on par with him, if not slightly worse.

Franklin is a victim of his own high standards.

The usual. The AA selectors are very simple people and reputation and media "presence" count for a lot with them.

They get some selections right, some are debatable (but reasonable enough) and some make a mockery of the whole concept. Move along - nothing useful to see here. I think the AA has almost had its day except media types love it so much.

But did he wear a hat? That's the question!

Nah, Walker's real issue is that he's not as good as those defensive superstars Andrew Mackie and Michael Johnson. Pillars of toughness they are.

I mean, why do we even bother with this exercise? I'm guessing Richard Douglas is screwing at least two of the panelists. He's good, but better than guys like Martin or Walker?

Nah, Walker's real issue is that he's not as good as those defensive superstars Andrew Mackie and Michael Johnson. Pillars of toughness they are.

I mean, why do we even bother with this exercise? I'm guessing Richard Douglas is screwing at least two of the panelists. He's good, but better than guys like Martin or Walker?

8th in goals assists, 3rd in inside 50's and 20 goals had a great season.

Josh Gibson and Andrew Mackie???????

Posted this earlier but Josh Gibson is the leading 'tall' backman in the coaches votes:

Gibson and Taylor are well clear of the rest of the field in both total votes and number of games in which they received votes. Based on this they should take the two key defensive spots.

(Not including round 23 - votes not released yet)
Josh Gibson 41 votes (polled in 8 games)
Harry Taylor 40 votes (polled in 7 games)
Andrew Walker 30 votes (polled in 6 games)
Luke McPharlin 25 votes (polled in 4 games)
Scott Thompson 22 votes (polled in 6 games)
Alex Rance 28 votes (polled in 5 games)
Jake Carlisle 18 votes (polled in 6 games)
Rory Thompson 14 votes (polled in 4 games)
Daniel Talia 13 votes (polled in 3 games)
Darren Glass 8 votes (polled in 2 games)
Eric MacKenzie 6 votes (polled in 4 games)
Ted Richards 2 votes (polled in 1 game)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top KPF's in order would be.

1. Roughead.
2. Cloke.
3. Cameron.
4. Kennedy.
5. Riewoldt.

Roughead & Cloke were the standout KPF's in 2013. They are locks imv.

Posted this earlier but Josh Gibson is the leading 'tall' backman in the coaches votes:

Gibson and Taylor are well clear of the rest of the field in both total votes and number of games in which they received votes. Based on this they should take the two key defensive spots.

(Not including round 23 - votes not released yet)
Josh Gibson 41 votes (polled in 8 games)
Harry Taylor 40 votes (polled in 7 games)
Andrew Walker 30 votes (polled in 6 games)
Luke McPharlin 25 votes (polled in 4 games)
Scott Thompson 22 votes (polled in 6 games)
Alex Rance 28 votes (polled in 5 games)
Jake Carlisle 18 votes (polled in 6 games)
Rory Thompson 14 votes (polled in 4 games)
Daniel Talia 13 votes (polled in 3 games)
Darren Glass 8 votes (polled in 2 games)
Eric MacKenzie 6 votes (polled in 4 games)
Ted Richards 2 votes (polled in 1 game)
Don't really care Gibson consistently gets beaten in marking contests is only good 3rd man up, he's a glorified Nick Maxwell

Surprised Wells got in - brilliant last 6-8 weeks, wasn't anything special before that, just had a 'good' season until he pulled himself into gear. Even some of his good games were more like good quarters (against Carlton namely).

Buddy also pretty lucky in my opinion. His season was nothing standout. Roughead for FF, N.Riewoldt for CHF, Cloke and Kennedy for the 3rd tall spots. They should have been the 4 and only tall forwards.

No Hibberd, Morris and Libba surprising. Thought Hibberd was very likely to get in, Morris not so, Libba 50/50, but all very deserving. Walker's omission also surprising - suppose he swapped halves of the season with Simpson though.

Think from North, Thompson and Thomas will make the 22. I doubt any of Wells, Douglas, Mackie, Cameron, Mayne, Buddy or either Kennedy will make it tbh, the 22 will come from the other 30 odd.

Thinking through - there is an abundance of quality small and medium defenders. Hanley, Simpson, Walker, Hibberd, Johnson (can't see him being picked before Thompson, Taylor and EMac so may be considered a 'medium' to be picked), Enright, Mackie (good season, wasn't sure about AA squad though), Houli, Morris, McVeigh and Malceski all enjoying great seasons running off and defending in the backline (yes, Hanley and couple of others played wing for large portions, but they were no doubt considered as small defenders).

You can't pick 10 small defenders in a squad of 40, some were always going to be unlucky to miss out.

Gibson is a very underrated defender, the problem is he has to play against key forwards a lot of the time and he doesn't have the size to play that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back