2013 crowds thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been over 40K if richmond had beaten Carlton.

I'm biased of course but it was a shame Richmond didn't make the Prelims. A lot of the buzz left the finals witht he Tigers.

If that's not an example of a false sense of your importance Im not sure what is...

Most New South Welshmen probably think Richmond is an electoral seat in Western Sydney. For that matter most couldn't give a toss about Carlton. Essendon, Melbourne or even my mob.

Evidently the reality is that the Swans were competing head to head with a double header at the SFS. In fact if you look at the match scheduled in the double header, the Roosters and Manly, you couldn't pick a worse match up for the Swans. The majority of the Swans support in Sydney is drawn from the Eastern Suburbs (Roosters) and Northern Beaches (Manly) of Sydney.

But Im sure a Sydney v Richmond final would likely draw somewhere in the vicinity of -2000 to +2000 more fans than Sydney v Carlton which would have made an enormous difference :rolleyes:

If that's not an example of a false sense of your importance Im not sure what is...

Most New South Welshmen probably think Richmond is an electoral seat in Western Sydney. For that matter most couldn't give a toss about Carlton. Essendon, Melbourne or even my mob.

Evidently the reality is that the Swans were competing head to head with a double header at the SFS. In fact if you look at the match scheduled in the double header, the Roosters and Manly, you couldn't pick a worse match up for the Swans. The majority of the Swans support in Sydney is drawn from the Eastern Suburbs (Roosters) and Northern Beaches (Manly) of Sydney.

But Im sure a Sydney v Richmond final would likely draw somewhere in the vicinity of -2000 to +2000 more fans than Sydney v Carlton which would have made an enormous difference :rolleyes:

What % of fans support both codes enough, to have to decide between what game they attended. ?.

What % of fans support both codes enough, to have to decide between what game they attended. ?.

The Sydney (and Brisbane culture) is very different to the Southern States. I know in Brisbane there is a huge portion of the population that move between the Broncos, Lions and Reds. More particularly both markets don't have the same attendance culture that we enjoy in Melbourne. I would suggest that a portion (of which Im not sure) that would have opted to watch the Swans and Roosters/Sea Eagles at the local.

This would have most certainly had a far greater effect than the 500 or so extra Tiger fans that would have attended the final and added to 'the buzz'

The Sydney (and Brisbane culture) is very different to the Southern States. I know in Brisbane there is a huge portion of the population that move between the Broncos, Lions and Reds. More particularly both markets don't have the same attendance culture that we enjoy in Melbourne. I would suggest that a portion (of which Im not sure) that would have opted to watch the Swans and Roosters/Sea Eagles at the local.

This would have most certainly had a far greater effect than the 500 or so extra Tiger fans that would have attended the final and added to 'the buzz'

I am aware of that, whilst the Swans draw heavily from the areas you stated, the crossover between the Swans, Manly and Easts would IMO be not that great, however i could be wrong.

Maybe a couple of K at most would have deserted the Swans for Manly or Easts, the real issue IMO, is that nobody really likes ANZ.

Round 23: Sydney v Hawthorn (ANZ): 37,980
Semi Final: Sydney v Carlton (ANZ): 37,980

Freak coincidence or is someone at ANZ Stadium fudging the attendance figures?
Looked over 40k last night. No doubt ANZ understated the figure.

I totally admit I am biased on this but I honestly think its fair comment to say that the finals lost something when the Tigers fell out. I think we would have seen almost unprecedented support travelling from Vic up to Sydney for a game.

Man r u able to have a convo without also throwing in a :rolleyes: like u know it all.....Hawkk u tend to make many excuses for Sydney like their was a double header or their support comes from the eastern suburbs etc give me a *en break, this is a semi final winner makes prelim and if u go by some bullshit Roy Morgan poll swans supposed to have 1 million+ fans ahh what a load of s**t...Take out the travelling blues fans what would the swans turnout b 30 or 32K...

Would have been over 40K if richmond had beaten Carlton.

I'm biased of course but it was a shame Richmond didn't make the Prelims. A lot of the buzz left the finals witht he Tigers.

I agree, maybe next year, and i have to throw this in, ........ Richmond, not ninth this year, but beaten by them !! :D

Man r u able to have a convo without also throwing in a :rolleyes: like u know it all.....Hawkk u tend to make many excuses for Sydney like their was a double header or their support comes from the eastern suburbs etc give me a ****en break, this is a semi final winner makes prelim and if u go by some bullshit Roy Morgan poll swans supposed to have 1 million+ fans ahh what a load of s**t...Take out the travelling blues fans what would the swans turnout b 30 or 32K...

Just being realistic with their turnout. I think we all get guilty of overestimating turnouts in finals. A 40,000 crowd give or take is a pretty much for much turnout for the Swans in Sydney.

Aside from notable exceptions (ie. Richmond v Carlton) we're no longer seeing a sizeable difference in home + away and finals attendance. In order to increase attendance the AFL must look at scaling ticket pricing according to demand for fixtures. Charge premium prices to blockbuster finals and provide a reduce rate to low/mid drawing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man r u able to have a convo without also throwing in a :rolleyes: like u know it all.....Hawkk u tend to make many excuses for Sydney like their was a double header or their support comes from the eastern suburbs etc give me a ****en break, this is a semi final winner makes prelim and if u go by some bullshit Roy Morganpoll swans supposed to have 1 million+ fans ahh what a load of s**t...Take out the travelling blues fans what would the swans turnout b 30 or 32K...

Im trying to get my head around a richmond supporter accusing someone from another club of trying to find excuses why crowds arent bigger. Thats been a tigers only thing since 1982 right? Kings of the "what if" scenarios...

Just being realistic with their turnout. I think we all get guilty of overestimating turnouts in finals. A 40,000 crowd give or take is a pretty much for much turnout for the Swans in Sydney.

Aside from notable exceptions (ie. Richmond v Carlton) we're no longer seeing a sizeable difference in home + away and finals attendance. In order to increase attendance the AFL must look at scaling ticket pricing according to demand for fixtures. Charge premium prices to blockbuster finals and provide a reduce rate to low/mid drawing finals.

Absolutely agree with all that u stated but would the AFL reduce pricing which inevitably would impact on revenue but in the same token i would say lower pricing would more than likely increase attendance numbers thus increasing overall revenue...

Im trying to get my head around a richmond supporter accusing someone from another club of trying to find excuses why crowds arent bigger. Thats been a tigers only thing since 1982 right? Kings of the "what if" scenarios...

If that was hard for u to understand gee i think u need to have a lie down...

Even though the RL DH finals at the SFS may have taken a few away from the Swans game at ANZ it was still the biggest crowd of the weekend in Sydney

The nRL had only 75,000 in total to their finals so I wouldnt be too worried about the Swans attendance.

Don't see why anyone would be surprised, crowds were strained across Sydney, Swans got top of the bunch, a great feat given much of their support comes from the same catchment as the NRL minor premiers (Roosters). Atmosphere seemed fine, revenue would be okay, dunno what more people want.

As for buzz leaving finals, well, yes, everyone whose team either didn't make, or has exited, finals feels that a lot of the buzz goes out.

Absolutely agree with all that u stated but would the AFL reduce pricing which inevitably would impact on revenue but in the same token i would say lower pricing would more than likely increase attendance numbers thus increasing overall revenue...

It's going to depend on the fixture. The AFL have a fixed pricing system in place for finals, so no matter who plays they keep the prices that they planned months in advance. It's a recipe for disappointing crowds at some fixtures. Richmond v Carlton gets 95,000, so the pricing structure was fine for that game. Hawthorn v Sydney and Collingwood v Port has tens of thousands of empty seats, so it was clearly out. Ditto the games on the weekend, the prices should have been adjusted down.

They missed a massive opportunity last year at the ANZ prelim. Instead of keeping prices moderate and getting 80,000, they gouged the s**t out of fans and only got 50,000 or so. The good news story of a full ANZ at a footy game would have been worth millions. They f**ked up. Not that they'd admit it.

Interesting to read this news today:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/national/18976231/viagogo-ticket-site-launches-in-aus/

Essentially you let the market decide the price of tickets.

A big part of the reason why the MCG games continue to get big attendances for finals (mostly) is because of the mix of full AFL members and MCC members paying <$25 for premium reserve seat tickets, which has no counterpart for the other principal stadiums in terms of its scope.

This is a major driver in MCG attendance, though ticket prices increase dramatically for Preliminary Final weekend.

As a point of reference, Preliminary Final seats for Public Reserve AND Silver AFL members range from $68 up to $180 a ticket. Aside from MCC members (approx. 22,000) and AFL FULL Members which may generously account for half the AFL Members reserve, upwards of 70,000 seats are priced amongst the most excessive on the planet. Given the ticket prices, it’s not surprise that the MCG final sold just 53,000 tickets (less Series) during its member only period yesterday.

Because of the excessive pricing a Preliminary Final that probably should have drawn 90,000 plus (the two corresponding home + away fixtures drew 76,300 and 85,197) may well draw a lower crowd to a cut throat Preliminary Final.

There is something wrong when home + away games start outdrawing Semi Finals and Preliminary Finals…

There is something wrong when home + away games start outdrawing Semi Finals and Preliminary Finals

That is definitely the point when we should realise the pricing is wrong. There should be a bandwagon bump for finals, or at least getting all the part-time attendees out of the woodwork for the big game. Instead we are not only excluding the bandwagon, we are excluding a number of a dedicated supporters.

The market in this case footy fans and others who just might be interested in attending will always determine the price they are willing to pay to attend an event not the promoter (this time the greedy AFL) cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Its called market forces and if the AFL bigwigs dont wake up to it they will deprive the game of thousands of potential fans and millions of dollars in income.Instead of hanging out with all the corporate mates in the members section they should actually find out what the ordinary fans want for a change.

I would much rather watch a game with a near full house than stadiums well below their capacity.

Interesting to read this news today:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/national/18976231/viagogo-ticket-site-launches-in-aus/

Essentially you let the market decide the price of tickets.

Interesting indeed Rob, gee one minute never ever heard of them until ur link above the next Richmond signing a 3 year partnership with Viagogo...
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-09-19/viagogo-just-the-ticket-for-richmond

And the Viagogo/Richmond Box Office Website: http://www.viagogo.com/au/richmondfc

The question i ask is this yes they say u are guaranteed when buying ur ticket, sounds fine by reading this; "It is designed as a secure marketplace, as sellers only receive payment after the buyer has attended the event.
This way, buyers are protected from getting ripped off by ticket fraudsters, founder Eric Baker says"

But how really different is it from eBay and over inflating prices...

"But the Swiss-based company has attracted controversy in Europe and the US because it doesn't put a cap on mark-ups sellers can set for in-demand tickets.
On the Australian viagogo site, tickets for an upcoming Beyonce show bought at $195 were being re-sold for up to $858"

FULL ARTICLE: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/national/18976231/viagogo-ticket-site-launches-in-aus/

The market in this case footy fans and others who just might be interested in attending will always determine the price they are willing to pay to attend an event not the promoter (this time the greedy AFL) cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Its called market forces and if the AFL bigwigs dont wake up to it they will deprive the game of thousands of potential fans and millions od dollars in income.

I would rather watch a game with a near full house than stadiums well below their capacity.
This has happened in the NRL - finals crowds have been much lower than regular season crowds for the same match ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back