2013 Draft - Patrick Cripps or Taylor Adams or Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
I know its probably been done to death but the article below brings it all back - Geez we screwed up the 2013 Draft

It's interesting to think how things would have been different had we chosen Patrick Cripps at 12 or traded our pick 12 for Taylor Adams. Instead we chose Ben Lennon :(. Obviously things have panned out pretty well and I wonder whether we still would have had 2 premierships under our belt or maybe things would have turned earlier with an extra top liner in the guts. Its amazing we have done so well considering how badly we have screwed up the national drafts in that period - not just 2013. I know its easy in retrospect but this was an absolute howler and glossed over by the our success.

Imagine Dusty working with Cripps or Adams. How then did the decision affect future drafts and trades - if we had Cripps or Adams we probably wouldn't have felt the need to trade for Prestia (and in turn Caddy) or even Townsend who was selected primarily to protect Cotch - Townsend obviously had a major impact in 2017.

Moral of the story is that our player development dept and coaching has been the cornerstone of our success rather than the well trodden path of just gathering high draft picks and recruiting of the best young talent.

Can we please have individual threads for every single draft pick that we've stuffed up, because that would just be SUPER AWESOME.

I really can't wait to read them all.
I should have noted that this is not a compulsory task - purely optional on whether you read/comment

Mmmm

Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,
Of the smiles we left behind
Smiles we gave to one another
For the way we were

Can it be that it was all so simple then?
Or has time re-written every line?
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we? Could we?

b2c279facc451e0ad480e95ddce21dc9

Memories, may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget

So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

76402707cf3706a92e954faec4802b3b.jpg

Mmmm

Memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,
For the way we were

So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

Absolutely beautiful, bought a tear to my eye. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmmm

Memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,
For the way we were

So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

Shout out to whoever is in charge of our player development. Certainly given no favours by our recruiters

Always worthwhile to look at what makes an organisation or team strong - certainly our recruiting has not been our strength - player development and strong leadership has been a big tick. We wont stay at the top forever so no doubt they'll be looking at innovative ways to stay there or get back there quicker than other teams. Looking at out last draft - I reckon we've made the decision to choose players who we can develop into a role rather than best available. Smart. That is playing to our strengths. Moneyball all over.

I know its probably been done to death but the article below brings it all back - Geez we screwed up the 2013 Draft

It's interesting to think how things would have been different had we chosen Patrick Cripps at 12 or traded our pick 12 for Taylor Adams. Instead we chose Ben Lennon :(. Obviously things have panned out pretty well and I wonder whether we still would have had 2 premierships under our belt or maybe things would have turned earlier with an extra top liner in the guts. Its amazing we have done so well considering how badly we have screwed up the national drafts in that period - not just 2013. I know its easy in retrospect but this was an absolute howler and glossed over by the our success.

Imagine Dusty working with Cripps or Adams. How then did the decision affect future drafts and trades - if we had Cripps or Adams we probably wouldn't have felt the need to trade for Prestia (and in turn Caddy) or even Townsend who was selected primarily to protect Cotch - Townsend obviously had a major impact in 2017.

Moral of the story is that our player development dept and coaching has been the cornerstone of our success rather than the well trodden path of just gathering high draft picks and recruiting of the best young talent.
so, so happy for blues/pies to reminisce about their heroics in the 2013 draft.
In the meantime we bagged 30% of the premiership cups on offer, and some chance to improve that % this year.

Long, long may this continue.

completely agree with you, Dimma has committed to a system and we have developed players that are prepared to play it.

Also been prepared to move on gun players who won't/can't play the system (Butler)

Mmmm

Memories
Of the way we were

Scattered pictures,
For the way we were

So it's the laughter
We will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

The encore performance starts with:

1 - Kreuzer
2 - Cotchin

A much maligned OP, and I reckon a few didn't quite get to the point. Our player development has been exceptional.

This is a league that uses the draft to equalise. Being the best at the National Draft is never going to be a competitive advantage. Doesn't matter at all if you occasionally get a Ben Lennon or Corey Ellis - as long as you have kick-ass development.

McRae and X Clarke are our secret weapons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back