List Mgmt. 2013 Draft /PSD/Rookie draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anybody else think the Scharenberg foot is a bit of a set up?? Earlier in the week they were talking about a possible "go home' factor with him and now they are saying he has a potentially serious foot injury.

This has all the hallmarks of a Collingwood con job. Clearly they were worried about St Kilda or Western Bullies taking him, so they take him around the plush set up, he meets his SA buddies who tell him how incredible everything is and he decides in his mind he wants to go there. Within days the stories start coming out.

Good luck if he goes there but the Tom Foolery is shameless and I reckon as close as tampering gets. Why has it taken until days before the draft for all this crap to emerge??

Anyway won't effect us as we're looking at Boyd/Kelly and 1 of either Taylor, Lennon or Bontempelli.

Bit of a rundown on the draft by Emma Quale in the age today:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubbyclub-guide-to-the-2013-afl-draft-20131115-2xm5h.html

Although she refers to Curtly as a forward.

Of our 3rd pick she says: Lewis Taylor and Luke Dunstan will appeal at 14, and they're a big fan of Rory Lobb.

we've used pick 72 and 83 for zone selection Barrett and rookie updgrade of Williams.

83 is actual the Crows pick and according to the updated draft order our last pick is 72
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-14/draft-order

According to Emma Quayle here is her top 25 in the draft not necessarily what clubs will get them even thru she does rate Boyd & Kelly the two best players in the draft, and Lewis Taylor who is linked to our pick 14 she rates as the 10th best player in the draft
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-lads-most-likely-20131116-2xo46.html

1. TOM BOYD
(Eastern Ranges, 201cm, 103kg)
Boyd is a one-off. No other key forwards are this big, this good, this proven or this ready-to-go. He's huge, yet doesn't rely on his size or a mean streak to put opponents in their place: he takes a lot of marks because he leads to the right spots, reads the flight of the ball and positions himself well. A neat kick, who doesn't waste shots. Boyd can dominate games. He has a knowing, perceptive personality and is as switched on as they come. No. 1, all the way.
Who will pick him? GWS.

2. JOSH KELLY
(Sand. Dragons, 184cm, 75kg)
Kelly does most if not all things to a high, consistent level. He has elite endurance, and his composure and smart decision-making means his possessions really mean something. He's a death-by-a-thousand cuts type player: he'll get you, in the end. There's not much he can't do but he works hard at everything anyway: last pre-season he hired a sprint coach to help improve his acceleration then spent time working on his inside game. Wherever he's played, his teammates have wanted to be like him. That's a good sign.
Who will pick him? GWS.

10. LEWIS TAYLOR
(Geelong Falcons, 175cm, 75kg)
Taylor loves being busy. Loves the give-and-go, zig zags all over the ground, and it feels like he's playing on fast-forward at times. He has pace, and that combined with his foot skills makes up for the fact he's so small. He's highly independent and knows how to look out for himself. Adds energy, on and off the field.
Who will pick him? He should get taken in the teens, perhaps GWS or Fremantle. Most of the clubs around there have spent a lot of time on him. Shouldn't get out of the top 20.

And on Taylor this the 3rd different height i've seen on him in the last couple weeks afl.com has him at 174cm on there draft machine, another article I saw 173cm and Emma says 175cm but whatever it is his built low to the ground but makes up with in other ways. Also in the past 8 days were met him twice so we are clearly having a close look at him.

Billings is an interesting option - Kelly appears to be a bit of a Scully Mk 2, and Billings is the small forward we dont have.

A forward line of

Billings - Patton - Lamb
Cameron - Boyd - Addison

isnt too bad ... and when I put Cameron at HFF, it mean 'run anywhere you like, son'.

Billings is an interesting option - Kelly appears to be a bit of a Scully Mk 2, and Billings is the small forward we dont have.

A forward line of

Billings - Patton - Lamb
Cameron - Boyd - Addison

isnt too bad ... and when I put Cameron at HFF, it mean 'run anywhere you like, son'.

Seems that we are just so keen on Kelly that we won't consider Billings but there is apparently a strong chance Lennon could slide down to us 14

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A forward line of

Billings - Patton - Lamb
Cameron - Boyd - Addison

I thought Devon Smith was the Billings we do have?? ;)

Smith is terribly underrated. I think he is a star and will only get better and better..

For what it's worth I think Billings out of all the draftees will make the most immediate impact. He is just such a polished complete player. It doesn't matter whether he becomes a midfielder because he will be a gun small forward. The perfect replacement for Milne at St Kilda...if they take anyone else they are even more of a basket case than I gave them credit for.

VICTORIAN clubs can forget about poaching Tom Boyd from Greater Western Sydney.
According to Eastern Ranges regional manager Anthony Parkin, the homesickness risk with Thursday night's likely No. 1 pick is almost zero.
Rather than Boyd leaving the Giants in a few years, Parkin said the hulking key forward would become a leader there and, by 2016, be part of one of the most devastating forward lines in the competition.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...him-to-come-home/story-fni5f22o-1226762775505

Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron — a South Warrnambool export — believes Terang Mortlake’s Lewis Taylor and Cobden’s Zach Merrett will be snapped up early after strong TAC Cup and AFL under 18 national championship performances.
Taylor has been heavily linked to the Giants at pick 14 — their third selection overall.
Cameron said Taylor — a pint-sized midfielder — was an exciting prospect.
“I was lucky enough to see Lewy play live at Geelong in the championships,” he said.
“He’s a quality kid, has a big work rate, is an exciting player, can sniff a goal.
“We’ve interviewed him a couple of times. He’s a terrific kid.
“It will be interesting to see how far he gets in terms of first round because there are a lot of clubs interested in him.”
Taylor is one of the smaller midfielders in this year’s draft pool.
Cameron said the 174-centimetre teenager’s height was “irrelevant”.
“I am not concerned about size — you look at most players’ hard work ethic, willingness to learn and character,” he said.
The first-year Giants coach said Merrett had rocketed up the draft pecking order this season.
Merrett only played TAC Cup as a top-age player, starring for Sandringham Dragons.
“He is a chance to go in the first round. The talk at the moment is he is starting to jump the queue, going on some reports,” Cameron said.
“It looks like he has a good work ethic. We have interviewed Zach a couple of times.
“He’s a good kid, a classy half-forward who can play midfield as well.”

http://www.standard.net.au/story/19...are-ripe-for-picking-in-national-draft/?cs=12

Also looks like we will go with 5 live picks

“There is always speculation at this time of year. With picks 1, 2 and 14 we think we are in a great position to get high-quality kids, as well as picks 29 and 48.”

we were talking the other day about using two picks for a rookie upgrade and pick from our academy - how is does that reconcile?

Well the final draft order has been sorted when means we have pick 1,2,14,29,48,72,73,81,91,95, 97
but of course we won't use all those picks and the most likely outcome is 5 live picks: 1,2,14,29,48. Then pick 72 on Barrett (zone selection), 73 Williams (rookie promotion) then that will do us for the night. We will then in a weeks time pick up Lamb in the psd

Apparently Sam Schulz is still training with the team despite being delisted. Going to assume he will be picked up in the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back