List Mgmt. 2013 DRAFT

Remove this Banner Ad

So, no Cornelius, no Lambert, no Conlan, no Cain, no Thorp and no Hourigan.

Wouldn't have picked for none of those boys getting picked up by any clubs.

I heard that Fremantle and Gold Coast were pretty keen on Chris Cain.
Also heard that he was pretty keen to stay playing footy with his mates at Port.

St Kilda were interested in Lambert too.

The Age said 4 clubs (including us) had spoken to him.

Just me or does Knightmare let a bit of the understandable dislike for Carlton taint his selections? Originally had us taking the sliding Crouch and undrafted Thorp and Cain...quick to can the selections we went with and now 'feels sorry' for us taking Wood as a rookie. Doesn't matter a jot but curios just the same.

Hard to separate the draft watcher and the supporter I would think. Yes, given who he had us taking and the fact that two of the three didn't get picked up at all, he can hardly be critical of who we did pick. He'd also understand better than most that a rookie spot is low risk and used for speculators, second chancers and depth.

I heard that Fremantle and Gold Coast were pretty keen on Chris Cain.
Also heard that he was pretty keen to stay playing footy with his mates at Port.
I'm not surprised Cain missed out. I couldn't see that he had any tricks that made him a potential AFL player & being in his mid 20s meant he would have needed to be able to hit the ground running & he isn't that good. I would rate Lambert ahead of him, but I can see why Lambert missed out as well, given the size of the majority of midfielders drafted this year.

What didn't help some of the VFL players was that this year's draft was not compromised by several draft picks being gifted to GCS & GWS. The love for VFL/SANFL/WAFL players in recent years was directly related to the compromised drafts.

A recruiters lot is to watch all the players all of the time, Thorp included. Nothing much in that, I would have thought.

True. Doesn't mean we are considering him for the future, just a throwaway line.

However he did seem genuinely sympathetic that the media had built it up and given Thorp false hope and wished him well. Diplomatic ... yes. Still, I can't see him expressing sympathy if we had ascertained he had an attitude. He was never coming to us Rogers said and so I doubt we had any contact at all.

Wood is never going to make it. Why not pickup an 18yo beanpole basketballer or Canadian rubgy player as a project. Really think that the recruiting team has lost the plot. It is also a kick in the teeth for Rowe and Casboult as they are seen to be not good enough as emergency backups. Can't remember their contract durations but it seems a renewal is unlikely.

Wood is there in case both Warnock and Kruezer go down and cant play. Casboult & Rowe are not full time ruckman and couldnt handle the role, so we need a backup. They have gone the mature option for this role. I will say it now, touch wood nothing serious happens to both Kruezer and Warnock, he wont play a game for Carlton.

Wood is there in case both Warnock and Kruezer go down and cant play. Casboult & Rowe are not full time ruckman and couldnt handle the role, so we need a backup. They have gone the mature option for this role. I will say it now, touch wood nothing serious happens to both Kruezer and Warnock, he wont play a game for Carlton.

I see what you did there ;)

Good luck to all the boys that didn't get drafted this year, I hope they don't give up the dream of playing AFL and spend the next season preparing to give themselves another chance.

I think we sometimes forget how much effort goes into making the necessary sacrifices by both the player and their families which can go unrewarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reynolds gets 31 (Barrassi, Alvin)
Wood - 36 (Maclure, Hamill)
Johnson - 45 (McKenzie, Franchina)
Sheehan - 47 (Francis, Hanna for a game)
Byrne - 48 (Ricky Nixon :) )

Pfft Nixon. That number was worn by its games record holder, the almost elite offensive, almost zero defensive ... Jordan Doering. 18 games. Show some respect please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back