English Super League 2013 English Super League Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not so optimistic. I remember the dog days of 2008, with the likes of Lee Smith and Adie Gardner on the wings. Fortunately we have much better backs than that these days. In fact, both those two are still playing but are a long way from consideration now. We have forwards to match anyone, with some of them well-known to you. There are still issues at 6, 7 & 9, though.

If you poms pinch Brough from Scotland you'll have a world class stand off to go a top quality pack and good outside backs.

I don't know about world class, but I like Brough better than Myler, and he is more consistent than Chase, and has a better kicking game. I think he effectively took the hump after being passed over by England in ther past. Agree about outside backs, I think 1-5 are the best England has had in a long time: Tomkins, Hall, Watkins, Cudjoe, Charnley (with a few wild-cards available too like Hardaker, Lineham, etc). As always, the issue is 6 &7, assuming Roby is fit to play 9. With Ellis, Graham and the Burgess brothers, our pack will fear no-one.

Speaking of wildcards, inside young Tom Lineham at Hull FC is Ben Crooks, son of former Wests, Castleford and GB goal-kicking prop Lee Crooks (who some of you may remember); just 20 years old. He has 24 tries in his first 34 games for Hull, a pretty impressive return for a centre, and yesterday I watched him score four tries against Castleford, only to end up on the losing side, thanks, inevitably to Rangi Chase, who once again took the games by the scruff of the neck in the second half. 16-6 down at the break, Castleford bossed the second half overall to win a thrilling contest 30-28. But both Crooks and Lineham look international material in the near future, I'd say.

Yeah i remember Lee Crooks. Good forward! He toured Australia, NZ, PNG and Fiji in the early nineties if i remember rightly with GB.
I had noticed Ben Crooks and had wondered if he was related to Lee. He looks to be a promising young player.

Watched Huddersfield tank the Catalans last night, putting 60 points on them, with unwanted-by-England Danny Brough kicking ten goals (a Superleague record, I think), many of them from the touch-line. The Dragons can look very half-assed sometimes when they come to England, with poor discipline, always whingeing at refereeing decisions. Their whizz-kid young full-back really does look the real deal, though; he impresses every time I see them play.

Here's a treat: a superb game between Warrington and an albeit weakened Wigan side; the full match. It may not stay up, so fill your boots!

Morgan Escaré. I can see him getting snapped up by one of these wealthy French RU clubs; they all seem to be owned by zillionaires.

And I've said it before, but Steve Menzies is just a freak! Last weekend a winger broke away from his own line for an interception try. Menzies was the only defender chasing back who gained on him, and actually managed to get an ankle-tap in. And he certainly has all the skills. At the height of his powers, he must have been absolutely awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another terrific contest last night between Warrington and Leeds Rhinos. 18-18 with five minutes to go, the result was in doubt right up to the final whistle.

Watching Warrington v Leeds ATM cracking game.

You have got to love the willingness in attack they are all playing with.

moto748

What do you make of this?

Warriors sign Leeds teenagers.

The Vodafone Warriors have today signalled a new direction in their recruitment strategy by announcing they’ve signed two elite junior players from England for the club’s NYC squad next season.

General manager football operations Dean Bell said snaring highly-rated 18-year-old Leeds forwards Jordan Baldwinson and Mason Tonks underlined the club’s aim to promote and develop young players from not only New Zealand but also other parts of world.

Baldwinson's been playing lately cos Leeds have a lot of injuries; he looks pretty good. Tonks doesn't ring a bell.

Mind you, I was away this weekend (seeing Jay Z :) ) and haven't seen the weekend's Challenge Cup fixtures. I've got them recorded on the TV and will probably start watching them tonight.

In general terms, I think English youngsters will benefit from a spell with an NRL team. And I'd like to see it happen the other way round (as I may have mentioned before); perhaps a few Toyota Cup youngsters could get a season's first team experience in the ESL? I'd be more concerned if too many of our established players are cherry-picked away, though. Sam Tomkins will be a real loss to Superleague, no doubt about it.

Thrilling game in very wet conditions last night as Widnes, with 12 men for the entire second half, actually kept high-flying Warrington scoreless with the one man disadvantage, and turn a 6-4 deficit into a 16-6 win, with some great defence and two wonderful tries. Has probably killed any chance of the League Leader's Shield for the Wolves.

They scored the try of the match too, it wasn't all desperate defence. Really an outstanding performance.

In other news, there seems to be a fair few players, both English and Aussies, leaving the ESL for the NRL at the end of this season. People are saying that Michael Dobson (used to be with the Raiders IIRC) is going to the Knights, but to be third-choice?? I'm out of touch with the NRL as I've seen hardly any games this season, and I can't remember who the Knight's halves are, Mullen and ???? But in my view Dobson is a very good half with an excellent kicking game and well worth a place in an NRL side. We'll see how that pans out.

I saw an optional re-start kick successfully made last night by Kevin Sinfield, as Leeds lost an exciting game to Hull KR, who seem to have discovered an effective defence with three games left! They seem such a rarity, it's hard to believe there's not scope for them more often. In the same game, Sinfield also produced a wonderful low trajectory cross-field torpedo kick which only went about 5 yards forward, but straight onto the chest of his on-side and un-marked winger Hall. There is so much to admire in a good kicking game.

They scored the try of the match too, it wasn't all desperate defence. Really an outstanding performance.

In other news, there seems to be a fair few players, both English and Aussies, leaving the ESL for the NRL at the end of this season. People are saying that Michael Dobson (used to be with the Raiders IIRC) is going to the Knights, but to be third-choice?? I'm out of touch with the NRL as I've seen hardly any games this season, and I can't remember who the Knight's halves are, Mullen and ???? But in my view Dobson is a very good half with an excellent kicking game and well worth a place in an NRL side. We'll see how that pans out.

Tyrone Roberts is the current half back with Jarrod Mullen at stand off. I'm of the opinion that Dobson is a better halfback than either of those two players. However i haven't seen much of Roberts play and he does seem to be highly rated. Mullen is the player i think will be moving a side for Dobson. Another option to remember is that Dobson could replace the aging Budaris wont be around for much longer.

I saw an optional re-start kick successfully made last night by Kevin Sinfield, as Leeds lost an exciting game to Hull KR, who seem to have discovered an effective defence with three games left! They seem such a rarity, it's hard to believe there's not scope for them more often. In the same game, Sinfield also produced a wonderful low trajectory cross-field torpedo kick which only went about 5 yards forward, but straight onto the chest of his on-side and un-marked winger Hall. There is so much to admire in a good kicking game.

Sinfield i think is due to lead his country to a major title and i have a sneaking feeling that you guys might just be picking up the world cup at the end of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back