2013 FIXture: Bring your pitchfork

2013 FIXture - who will Hawthorn play twice

• Total voters

big footy cyril

Senior List
Sep 16, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Considering that since their respective inceptions we have played neither GC or GWS twice you'd think that we're due. Didn't the AFL suggest that playing them twice would be spread between all clubs over the first few years? By this, you'd almost expect to play them a couple of times each sooner or later... you won't find me holding my breath tho!

Glasgow Hawk

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Celtic FC, Toronto Maple Leafs
I expect the AFL to shaft us again and give a draw (sorry fixture) that will be as tough, if not tougher than 2012.
I'd put the house on it!! Well, maybe not...
I'm sure we are all waiting with bated breath, but I just wanna plan my next trip to Tassie. ;)

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Considering that since their respective inceptions we have played neither GC or GWS twice you'd think that we're due. Didn't the AFL suggest that playing them twice would be spread between all clubs over the first few years? By this, you'd almost expect to play them a couple of times each sooner or later... you won't find me holding my breath tho!
Maybe in their 4th year when they will no longer be the easy beats. Not before

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
Wouldnt mind a few home games against other Melbourne teams this year...as great as it was for ladder positioning to smack the suitcase out of interstate teams at the G all year 'round, it's pretty hard to justify getting up off the couch on a cold winters day to go to a match that has less atmosphere than an under 18s match.

We did play GC twice in their first year (2011) - believe that we only just squeezed past them in final round (admittedly with a Box Hill side but still...)

I think will be
Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and West Coast (may change adelaide for WC - given adelaide want to play us round 23 for AAMI closing) and Carlton
Haven't played Carlton twice for ... I can't remember when (I think it was when they could still play)

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Getting a bit sick of the victim mentality on this board...

OF COURSE we're going to get screwed, we were runners up and minor premiers. Not to mention short priced favourite for next year.

I want GFC twice and Carlton twice and after that I dont mind who we get.

My best guess for teams played twice would be GFC, Coll, Syd, Freo/WCE and a bottom 8 team, probably a melbourne one...

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
I want Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon twice. These games would be in Melbourne, most at the G, and are games with atmosphere and meaning that you can get excited about.

I went to the GC and GWS games at the G on Sunday afternoons this year, sat there working out what records would be broken and went home again. There was no thrill in the wins. I was more excited to see the cute bagpipes girl on the way out than I cared about the result.

As the 2nd biggest club in Melbourne behind Collingwood (not sure why Coll, Carl, Ess and Rich are always referred to as the Big 4) we do deserve a few more Friday nights, blockbusters and free to air games as the AFL say that you have to earn the right to that with on field results, which I think we have done.

Definitely need to play Carlton twice. 9 wins in a row but it has taken 8 years to do it - we should be at 16 in a row now.

Ultimately it really doesn't matter, there is very little difference in most clubs' draws. There are only 5 teams that you play twice now with Geelong and Sydney probably locked in already, might get North twice to boost Tassie. Would be nice if we could play St.Kilda or Richmond in Tassie next year instead of giving them Freo, WC, Port, Brisbane etc every year.

Good sides win premierships despite draws.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
We should play essendon, carlton, Geelong, freo and Adelaide twice

Instead, we will play north, geelong, gws, bris and syd twice

Away vs pies, Carl, rich & essendon

Coburghawk

Debutant
Oct 28, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We did play GC twice in their first year (2011) - believe that we only just squeezed past them in final round (admittedly with a Box Hill side but still...)

I think will be
Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and West Coast (may change adelaide for WC - given adelaide want to play us round 23 for AAMI closing) and Carlton
Haven't played Carlton twice for ... I can't remember when (I think it was when they could still play)

Not true, we only played them once in the final round. Buddy has still not ever played a game against them.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton/Essendon
Sydney, WCE/Adelaide
We need to play the best to be the best

Tassie: Port, Bris, North and GWS
Home games rounded out with Melb, WB
Away Games GC, Fre, WCE/Adelaide, Rich, StK, Carl/Ess

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
VLAD and AA around the office

VLAD: So who do you have for Hawthorns opening round?
AA: Swans and the SCG
VLAD: ME TOO!!!! Also I am going to play the game as a special fixture on the Monday night, that way hawks will have a few consecutive 6 day breaks to start the season, worked well this year.
AA: But what about our beloved Swans
VLAD: We will give them a special bye for round 2. Who has you got for Hawks 2nd up?
AA: West Coast at the MCG.
VLAD: MCG will be taken by Bulldogs vs. Melbourne, better play that one at the Subiaco. Next?
AA: Adelaide at the MCG.
VLAD: Better play that one at AAMI, we want to do everything to kill their momentum early in the season... oh I mean, the MCG has been booked for NRL so we will just put out the press release to say Hawks should feel harshly done by but, its double booked so obviously.......

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not true, we only played them once in the final round. Buddy has still not ever played a game against them.

We played them in Tassie the week before we played Essendon and then Collingwood. Not sure of the round.

May 20, 2011
Last Saturday in September
AFL Club
Hawthorn

We played them in Tassie the week before we played Essendon and then Collingwood. Not sure of the round.

Round 13 we beat them 129-58 in Tassie
Round 24 we beat them 106-97 at Metricon

Buddy played that round 13 game and was reported for striking Mav Weller.

Skyfire15

All Australian
Jun 9, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Indy Colts, Pacers
Geelong - It's the current "it" rivalry in the comp.. albeit it's a one-way street in the last 4 years. AFL/ Channel 7 will want to cash in.
AFL Swans - For obvious reasons
Adelaide - We've only played them twice in 2 H&A seasons. AFL will want to build on the prelim heartbreak/rivalry. I am expecting we'll be playing R23 in Adel too.. remember reading somewhere on here that the Crows want a final game at Football Park, after we played them there in their first ever game.
Carlton - Surely we get them in a season twice.. it's been years. Plus the Ratten factor, surely they'll want to make something of that.
One "lowly" club.. maybe - Probably Brisbane (who won't be that bad at all).. we haven't ventured to the GABBA since 2008 as well.

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
I think will be

I thought only Port were leaving AAMI for Adelaide Oval. I hadn't heard the Crows were intending to leave as well. The stadium is far to big to be run by the SANFL as they are lucky to get a few hundred to a game these days in that comp. Adelaide Oval will only be a boutique size ground (similar to Aurora) which is too small for Crows crowds.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I thought only Port were leaving AAMI for Adelaide Oval. I hadn't heard the Crows were intending to leave as well. The stadium is far to big to be run by the SANFL as they are lucky to get a few hundred to a game these days in that comp. Adelaide Oval will only be a boutique size ground (similar to Aurora) which is too small for Crows crowds.

Theres a good discussion on the stadiums board

Back