2013 HFNL PreSeason Rumours and News

Remove this Banner Ad

The Boags Cup was a nice training run for a few teams to get some run in the legs. As far as results go you can't really look too much into it. Good to see some new hampden players running around for sides and of course the Hamilton and Portland sides getting their first taste of HFNL. Well done Koroit on the win. I think the draw has a few flaws and hopefully looked at next season. The season proper is a step closer and I for one am very excited!!!

Did the Boags Cup give much or any insight on how competitive Hamilton and Portland will be this year?

Not a great deal I'm afraid. Portland were very light on with up to 16 or 17 senior players unavailable I was told. Hamilton showed some good skills and even tho I think they will lack height they will be competitive. But again all sides had players sitting out one game or the other or unavailable. Round 1 will most likely be the best measure.

Looks as tho Camperdown vs North Warrnambool will be littered with outs in Round 1. Eagles likely to be missing Haynes (suspension), McMeel (collarbone), Murfett (honeymoon) and Pies missing Anderson (left club), Molan (suspended), L Mahony (knee). Some new players will be on display tho!

Gun Newtown/Chilwell ruckman Sandy Robinson has signed with Port Fairy for the 2013 season. He was named in the Geelong Footy Leagues Team of the Year in 2012 and played a major role in Newtowns season as a premier tap ruckman. He enabled Brad Ottens to play forward all year while he took care of the ruck. It's a huge get for Port Fairy, he had been chased by several clubs and one would assume he heads there with what's likely to be a huge pocket full of cash!!

Just over a week to go til Rd.1 in Hampden League!! I ll have a review up late next week for Rd.1 for those who are looking to stay up to date! Anyone else should feel free to review the sides playing as its great to have diff points of view!!

I'm sure soon the 'experts' at the Warrnambool Standard will produce their annual Hampden Top 10 players, where they usually go by name and not ability to impact and win games of footy!! I'm gonna have a crack and name my top 10! It will be based on players form from last year and possibility to be even better this year. No new arrivals from this season coming will be included. Honorable mentions too:
Andy McMeel (NWE) - Little pocket rocket gun midfielder for the Eagles, scored plenty of votes last season and wins heaps of the ball, could be a smoky for a Maskell Medal if all goes well.
Damian O'Connor (TM) - The general down at the bloods, has had a couple of tough years wins wise but still produces quality form and excellent leadership.
Jordan Dillon (NWE) - Second best ruckman in the league, rucks 90% of every game for the Eagles and won their Best and Fairest last year. Would be a ripping ruckman if he could sneak some goals into his bag of tricks.
Joel Moloney (TM) - A Grade midfielder who is hard to tag, gets huge numbers in disposals and runs all day! Late start to this season coming as he is overseas.

10. Sam Cowling (Wbool) - He's a versatile big build of a backman/forward. He can mark, run and kick as good as any in the comp, he predominantly played back this season and won some matchups well during year, he also went forward and kicked a couple of crucial match winning goals. Big year ahead!

9. Paul Hinkley (Cob) - This bloke has finally found his spot as a backman, he has stopped Haynes, Rowan, Dobson, Molan and been able to impact games greatly with use of footy. Versatile swing man but look for him to stay firmly home in defense this season.

8. Paul Foster (Cob) - A marvel at winning the hard ball, clearance work as good as any, can run with anyone and can break games open at will. He is often the forgotten soldier at Cobden, but this bloke is an AGrade midfielder.

7. Ben Goodall (Koroit) - A Maskell Medallist. The workhorse of of the midfield at Koroit. Year after year he is tagged every game, and game after game he generally breaks it. A goal kicking midfielder who can turn and win games off his own boot or through his clearance ability. He keeps his head down and gets the job done.

6. Tim Hunt (Wbool) - The Shaun Burgoyne of HFNL, Silk. Maskell Medallist. Doesn't miss targets, runs like the wind, racks up quality disposals, and usually cops a tag even when on the wing! This kid is a star.

5. David Haynes (NWE) - The North Warrnambool Coach has led this side into territory never ventured by this young and upcoming side! Kicks big bags of goals, worries every backman who goes to him, sometimes all 3 of them. Can roost a ball a long way and usually very accurate. Played all last year injured kicking 80 goals, so look for a big year this year.

4. Joe Dare (Cob) - Maskell Medallist. Has quickly proven why he was on an AFL list. His performance in the final I watched at Terang was sublime. Clearances, and hard ball gets separated this man from the boys. He will be looking for another huge year this year as a surging Cobden look towards 2013 Finals.

3. Levi Dare (Cob) - The leagues best ruckman!! Maskell Medallist, dominant goal kicking bullocking ruckman. Every side would love this bloke turning up week after week, even with his own style of warm ups and half time traditions.

2. Sam Chapman (Camp) - Maskell Medallist, natural talent, ball winner, can single handedly turn games through his clearance work and ability to get forward for goals.

1. Jason Rowan (Wbool) - Kicks 100 goals year in year out, his team wins flags, he wins games and is Captain of his Premier side in 2013!! Failing injury lock him down for 90+ yet again!

Well there it is. No doubt some Hamilton, Portland and new recruits at clubs will force their way into this top 10 by years end but for now I feel they are the 10 most influential players that help to determine results in games and have the quality above the rest of the comp. Would love to see a couple of others opinions and top 10's!

Cheers!

I'm sure soon the 'experts' at the Warrnambool Standard will produce their annual Hampden Top 10 players, where they usually go by name and not ability to impact and win games of footy!! I'm gonna have a crack and name my top 10! It will be based on players form from last year and possibility to be even better this year. No new arrivals from this season coming will be included. Honorable mentions too:
Andy McMeel (NWE) - Little pocket rocket gun midfielder for the Eagles, scored plenty of votes last season and wins heaps of the ball, could be a smoky for a Maskell Medal if all goes well.
Damian O'Connor (TM) - The general down at the bloods, has had a couple of tough years wins wise but still produces quality form and excellent leadership.
Jordan Dillon (NWE) - Second best ruckman in the league, rucks 90% of every game for the Eagles and won their Best and Fairest last year. Would be a ripping ruckman if he could sneak some goals into his bag of tricks.
Joel Moloney (TM) - A Grade midfielder who is hard to tag, gets huge numbers in disposals and runs all day! Late start to this season coming as he is overseas.

10. Sam Cowling (Wbool) - He's a versatile big build of a backman/forward. He can mark, run and kick as good as any in the comp, he predominantly played back this season and won some matchups well during year, he also went forward and kicked a couple of crucial match winning goals. Big year ahead!

9. Paul Hinkley (Cob) - This bloke has finally found his spot as a backman, he has stopped Haynes, Rowan, Dobson, Molan and been able to impact games greatly with use of footy. Versatile swing man but look for him to stay firmly home in defense this season.

8. Paul Foster (Cob) - A marvel at winning the hard ball, clearance work as good as any, can run with anyone and can break games open at will. He is often the forgotten soldier at Cobden, but this bloke is an AGrade midfielder.

7. Ben Goodall (Koroit) - A Maskell Medallist. The workhorse of of the midfield at Koroit. Year after year he is tagged every game, and game after game he generally breaks it. A goal kicking midfielder who can turn and win games off his own boot or through his clearance ability. He keeps his head down and gets the job done.

6. Tim Hunt (Wbool) - The Shaun Burgoyne of HFNL, Silk. Maskell Medallist. Doesn't miss targets, runs like the wind, racks up quality disposals, and usually cops a tag even when on the wing! This kid is a star.

5. David Haynes (NWE) - The North Warrnambool Coach has led this side into territory never ventured by this young and upcoming side! Kicks big bags of goals, worries every backman who goes to him, sometimes all 3 of them. Can roost a ball a long way and usually very accurate. Played all last year injured kicking 80 goals, so look for a big year this year.

4. Joe Dare (Cob) - Maskell Medallist. Has quickly proven why he was on an AFL list. His performance in the final I watched at Terang was sublime. Clearances, and hard ball gets separated this man from the boys. He will be looking for another huge year this year as a surging Cobden look towards 2013 Finals.

3. Levi Dare (Cob) - The leagues best ruckman!! Maskell Medallist, dominant goal kicking bullocking ruckman. Every side would love this bloke turning up week after week, even with his own style of warm ups and half time traditions.

2. Sam Chapman (Camp) - Maskell Medallist, natural talent, ball winner, can single handedly turn games through his clearance work and ability to get forward for goals.

1. Jason Rowan (Wbool) - Kicks 100 goals year in year out, his team wins flags, he wins games and is Captain of his Premier side in 2013!! Failing injury lock him down for 90+ yet again!

Well there it is. No doubt some Hamilton, Portland and new recruits at clubs will force their way into this top 10 by years end but for now I feel they are the 10 most influential players that help to determine results in games and have the quality above the rest of the comp. Would love to see a couple of others opinions and top 10's!

Cheers!

Good run down! I'm not sure that Benny Goodall has won a Maskell just yet though. I think he's one a league b & f in WA, but hasn't quite got the Maskell. Great player!

Good run down! I'm not sure that Benny Goodall has won a Maskell just yet though. I think he's one a league b & f in WA, but hasn't quite got the Maskell. Great player!

Good call!! Got a bit excited there!! Haha Probably has deserved one!! Thanks

HampdenMAD said:
Good call!! Got a bit excited there!! Haha Probably has deserved one!! Thanks

I think Marcus England from portland is worth a mention here - dual league medalist, runner up once or twice, probably would have won a third if it was not for unforseen circumstances.

I think Marcus England from portland is worth a mention here - dual league medalist, runner up once or twice, probably would have won a third if it was not for unforseen circumstances.

As I said I can only go on who I know from last year, and then add to it at end of this year and next year hopefully with blokes just like Marcus. Excited by what we may see from blokes like that. Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crushing early blow for Warrnambool losing Timmy Hunt for 6 weeks due to complications with his shoulder operation recovery. Nothing like a speed hump to make it interesting for the reigning premiers!

Big test for the Portland Tigers this week against Warrnambool. Good win against Hamilton on ANZAC Day. Think it may be a long year for Hamilton. Will be good for the Tigers to test themselves at home against one of the powerhouse sides in Warrnambool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back