Oppo Camp 2013 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
It's about balancing between the two. If clubs are loath to deal with the guy ultimately that's going to result in a poorer deal for clientele. Moreover, most of these guys don't get pickers name out of the phone book; he is recommended by the club and or by other players. It's a dangerous game IMO.

That's a fair point, but my guess is the clubs understand the position that Pickering is in. I figure they realise that it's all in the game, that it's bad for business to hold grudges with them and that what goes around comes around in the age of free agency.

Indeed they are, but I doubt many players, especially the young kids, can work their way through the system without one, sadly.

I still wonder about the 75% or so of players at each club with relatively no public profile, marketing, media and endorsements to handle. I've always thought a lot of these players would be better off doing their contracts as a once-off through a solicitor. That is one big difference between US (and presumably other international) sports agents: they've got some serious law qualifications to do what they do. As far as I understand it, AFL player agents can do a course for a few weeks and then they're accredited. Can you imagine a train wreck like Ricky Nixon lasting two months, if he was managing 50-60 NBA and NFL players?

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
That's a fair point, but my guess is the clubs understand the position that Pickering is in. I figure they realise that it's all in the game, that it's bad for business to hold grudges with them and that what goes around comes around in the age of free agency.

I still wonder about the 75% or so of players at each club with relatively no public profile, marketing, media and endorsements to handle. I've always thought a lot of these players would be better off doing their contracts as a once-off through a solicitor. That is one big difference between US (and presumably other international) sports agents: they've got some serious law qualifications to do what they do. As far as I understand it, AFL player agents can do a course for a few weeks and then they're accredited. Can you imagine a train wreck like Ricky Nixon lasting two months, if he was managing 50-60 NBA and NFL players?

Is that still the case? I thought they may have tightened things up a bit, as I haven't heard the radio jingle plugging the course for a few years.

"Dad, since I've dropped out of high school, should I become an AFL player's agent, or give that massage therapy course a go - Richo keeps saying it will change my life?" :D

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
I don't think that deception is a necessary or sufficient condition for being a good player manager. Ultimately clubs will less trusting of Pickering and that will only be damaging to his clients (the players).

I have no doubt the next time a Pickering managed player A says "I will make his mind up at the end of the year" the players club will say "obviously being a Pickering player he is going to leave us" let's start worrying about stitching up other player's contracts. Player A is then in a severely reduced bargaining position.

But you're getting this the wrong way around.
The clubs may not necessarily like dealing with him, but they have to.

It will not weaken any players position at all. No way.

And if we're talking deception....it was Buddy who asked for an approach to be made to Sydney immediately after the 2012 GF.
Pickers just does his job by holding his hand close to his chest and not making commitments.
Hawthorn knew all year that Buddy was fielding a contract elsewhere.

Clarkson has obviously got his nose out of joint.
Probably said something like "you're meant to be my mate, why didn't you tell me?"

I think he's the one that doesn't understand Pickers job.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Tram wreck would have been the better phrase to use I would have thought. :)

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I don't think that deception is a necessary or sufficient condition for being a good player manager. Ultimately clubs will less trusting of Pickering and that will only be damaging to his clients (the players).

I have no doubt the next time a Pickering managed player A says "I will make his mind up at the end of the year" the players club will say "obviously being a Pickering player he is going to leave us" let's start worrying about stitching up other player's contracts. Player A is then in a severely reduced bargaining position.

Thats how i see it, who is the next big name Pickering player coming out of contract?

Jun 9, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
308607-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I'll never get used to this photo...

308607-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

I'll never get used to this photo...

What keeps me warm at night with this one is that is good to get experience elsewhere from different systems and environments.
Other than that.. It's cold mate.. ******* cold..

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What keeps me warm at night with this one is that is good to get experience elsewhere from different systems and environments.
Other than that.. It's cold mate.. ******* cold..

Go Catters

I saw Moons during the season and said to him that I did not mind him at the Dogs, but if he ever goes over to Hawthorn to assist them, then he is dead to me. He replied "If I ever end up at Hawthorn I will kill myself".

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
It kinda does cause the guy in the background looks like my mate :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad