Player Sponsorship 2013 Player Sponsorship - Howe & Barry

Remove this Banner Ad

Some notes:

• TPM, Praetorian, SD all ripping blokes.
  • Was washing my hands in the bathroom at the start when the Hulk walks out from behind me. Completely froze, asked some stupid questions and wished him luck. He really doesn't smile.
  • We spoke to Magner for a while, seems quite down about his chances going forward.
  • Colin Garland is a great guy.
  • Jonesy spoke to us for ages and allowed himself to get comfortable around us. Said he thinks the midfield needs more numbers and hopes we get them.
  • Howe is very popular with the kids but gave us 5-10 minutes of his time. Says he won't accept Robbo's push to get him into the 24 and wants to keep his number.
  • Blease is a funny bloke, said he's been a bit unlucky with his injuries but will be back next week. Re-injured the ankle a few days ago so was ruled out.
  • JV is a quality bloke for the minute we heard from him.
  • We didn't speak to them, but Davey and Rodan hung around for ages and were the last out.
  • Jack Grimes, very nice and confident character. Hung around for a long time too and seemed genuinely happy to chat. Told us the umps were noticeably poor today, but he loves a crowd that gets stuck in.
  • Fitzy is awesome.
  • Hogan, Sellar and Gillies hung around in a group and didn't seen too keen to chat, not that the latter two had that many suitors.
  • Jack Watts. What a man. We missed Viney, Toumpas, Hogan on stage by talking to him. Signed my jumper and was very open about the fact that he and Neeld didn't really have the same ideas. Big fan of Craig, and says the plan is to stay at the footy club now. Says comparisons between him and NN are stupid, but they don't phase him. Appreciates supporters, team mates and a coach who get behind him. Says the external pressure was big. One of the nicest people I've met in years.
Over to the others.

Hey guys, I'll give you my thoughts on the sponsor function last night. I'll try not to repeat much of SSFs post but here goes:

On the previous and current coach - some players were a bit more open about their thoughts than others but the general feeling i got from most of the group was that Neeld was shithouse at managing the players and was not particularly well liked, which we all could have guessed I'm sure. He had his favourites and made his mind up on a lot of the playing group very early on and once you're on the outer there was no coming back. On the other hand there was a lot of praise for Craig and the relationship he had with the players, particularly guys like Watts and Fitzy who Neeld didn't rate.

It seems that Craig has mastered the balance between being a good coach and a good friend to the players. I think he would be a great senior coach if he gets the gig next year, he definitely has the players on side.

I'm sure you could gather this from his interview but Watts basically said in no uncertain terms that he would not be at Melbourne next year if Neeld stayed on. We talked a bit to Craig, who gives nothing away to be honest but is a very nice guy. when asked if he wanted to stay on he said "that's up to the club". He is also quite hesitant to take credit for our improved form and endeavor in the last 3 weeks.

On Frawley, Craig said his hammy was just a bit tight, nothing too serious (I hope)

as SSF said above, Watts is a great bloke, very easy to talk to and very open. Garland also a great guy, and very humble when we told he was a big chance for the B&F this year. also talked to Jones, Howey, Blease and Viney very briefly and all were good blokes and pretty optimistic about the future. Magner not so much (nice guy just doesn't seem thrilled about the state of his career), and I get the feeling he got asked why he wasn't playing more games this year all night long. unfortunately for him he is back on the rookie list with Grimes return so I'm not sure if he'll get a chance again this year.

Mitch Clark wasnt there but we asked about him and apparently they are planning on getting him back late this year but the injury is uncommon so it is up in the air. He is back to running and everything so we'll see how it pans out

I personally enjoyed speaking to Grimes a lot, he's very much a Melbourne Man through and through which I love, and really easy to talk to as well. He is a great choice for captain

almost forgot about Fitzy, nice guy, its fair to say he's happy that Craig is coach and he's glad to get an extended run at AFL.

TPM, SSF and SD are all great guys in real life as well as online funnily enough, but this is the best Demons footy forum on the internet so I would expect no less. food and beer was plentiful, and everyone was in good spirits so it was a great to be involved.

Quote of the night
"It's amazing what happens when you have a coach that believes in you" - Anonymous

I'll add more if I remember anything else, cheers guys

edit: Toumpas Viney and Hogan all talked to the audience about living together at the Viney household and they seem pretty tight knit so if we can keep those 3 together we are on the right track!

TPM, SSF and SD are all great guys in real life as well as online funnily enough, but this is the best Demons footy forum on the internet so I would expect no less. food and beer was plentiful, and everyone was in good spirits so it was a great to be involved.
Top work mate, but what we're looking for is dirt. Give us some famous look-alike's for SD, TPM & SSF. And as for the others, same goes for you SD, SSF & TPM.

Dish the dirt.

Quote of the night
"It's amazing what happens when you have a coach that believes in you" - Anonymous

Anonymous bit caught my eye. Was this a player or a guest who said this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When does the rest of the gear turn up? I'm expecting to win Howie's guernsey this year!
Normally it'd be picked up from the function but I asked for it to be mailed out so I can forward them on, so in the next week or two I hope.

Just in light of Sylvia's comments today, was he there? Did anyone chat to him or see some body language?

Yeah, he was there - didn't chat to him but he was happy to talk to a lot of people by the looks of things.

Was one of the last to leave if I remember correctly.

Was an excellent night, all the BF Boys who came were great to chat to as well!

Yeah, he was there - didn't chat to him but he was happy to talk to a lot of people by the looks of things.

I would guess he is usually one of the last to leave establishments.

I meant to ask as well, were the players allowed a beer? I assume not.

Thanks for taking the photos bud. I look like a deranged seal next to Jack Watts, but the others are great!

I have been advised that the goods will be posted out in the next day or two.

Draw to be done on the weekend if the goods arrive before then.

If for some reason anyone doesn't want any of the goods, let me know & I'll remove you from the draw. Also this year I wont cover the postage of goods as I have done previously.

I getting tight!

I have been advised that the goods will be posted out in the next day or two.

Draw to be done on the weekend if the goods arrive before then.

If for some reason anyone doesn't want any of the goods, let me know & I'll remove you from the draw. Also this year I wont cover the postage of goods as I have done previously.

I getting tight!

Happy to arrange a dodgy late night face-to-face transfer if I win something.

Happy to arrange a dodgy late night face-to-face transfer if I win something.
no worries.

But if you 'happen' to get mugged of it 5 minutes later you'll only have yourself to blame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back