Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad for Clarke as he is a good developing mobile ruck but he gives Pav a lot of headaches in the forward line (re Adelaide game 2012 when Kep was replaced with Zarke = Pav goals way down and had three goons + Zarke over his back at many marking contests) and rarely has much effect on the scoreboard. If Hannath or Kep (who has not been showing good signs in the preseason) can drag a Scho or MacK (can't remember which is the one that wasn't towelled up by Pav) away from Pav and take some good leads and grabs, or taps to Walters/Ballas, our forward line will be straightened up and look much better.

My guess is Ross will go with Kep though favouring experience.

As J the gardener said Kep trained well today and I think your right about him,Kep will play if Zac doesnt come up

Got nothing to add either, nice job Harry with the superb report. Left at 1020 ish so didn't see Zlarke's injury.. Long warm up as well as kicking drills. De Boer and Sandi spotted watching training..

I can see Kep playing if Clarke does not but I would want the option to go small with Crozier/Mello/Neale considered as well. It is the first game of the year and some Eagles (e.g. Embley) are coming off very short runs, ability to run the game out with good quality smalls versus another questionable (based on his form so far in pre-season) tall could be the factor.
Question comes to the coaching panel - do they stick like glue to a planned structure or do they reward players in form even if that means a little tweaking.
Even Silvagni could be an option up forward over Bradley but not sure he has trained there at all this pre-season.

Sad for the Zarke, would of liked to see him have significant time in the ruck with Griff up forward and vice versa as well.

I can see Kep playing if Clarke does not but I would want the option to go small with Crozier/Mello/Neale considered as well. It is the first game of the year and some Eagles (e.g. Embley) are coming off very short runs, ability to run the game out with good quality smalls versus another questionable (based on his form so far in pre-season) tall could be the factor.
Question comes to the coaching panel - do they stick like glue to a planned structure or do they reward players in form even if that means a little tweaking.
Even Silvagni could be an option up forward over Bradley but not sure he has trained there at all this pre-season.

Sad for the Zarke, would of liked to see him have significant time in the ruck with Griff up forward and vice versa as well.

Alex is definitely out..... Suspended.

The positive of Jack would be his capacity to go forward and take contested marks. Keplar can do (and has done) this in the past as well.

Thanks gents for your reports this preseason appreciate it being overseas.

Salim surely you have secret vantage point to monitor these closed sessions?! Maybe top floor of the Myers carpark with a scope of some sort??

Sounds good in theory, but who would ruck if we lost Griffin early? A whole game with Dawson or Johnson against Cox would be too greater risk in my opinion when we should already have a running advantage with the eagles outs.

Sounds good in theory, but who would ruck if we lost Griffin early? A whole game with Dawson or Johnson against Cox would be too greater risk in my opinion when we should already have a running advantage with the eagles outs.

True that, even as a chop out for Griff without injury for 10% game time we would struggle.
If Griff can play 90% of the game without injury then we should be ahead but thats an if.

Hannath option comes down to how much we rate him against Cox and as a forward. NAB game I saw he struggled up forward but with Griff probably better against Cox in the ruck he would play there most of the game - maybe sub out at 3/4 time if Griff is good to go and bring in another runner (Crozier/Mello).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be wrong, but hasn't Griffin actually been injured twice against the egirls in the last two years?

Yes, well according to the West yesterday.

We have the closed training session at Subi on Thursday morning and they have the closed session at Subi on Friday morning.

Someone please tell me how we have a closed session at Subiaco Oval when the Eagles boardroom and CEO's office and bar overlook the ground.
Are we suggesting West Coast staff get locked out of their office ?

Someone please tell me how we have a closed session at Subiaco Oval when the Eagles boardroom and CEO's office and bar overlook the ground.
Are we suggesting West Coast staff get locked out of their office ?
Closed to media and public. The players of the other mob could easily just walk out of their changerooms, up to the entrance to the ground and watch from there.. Would have to be more of a familirisation of the ground for Freo.

Closed to media and public. The players of the other mob could easily just walk out of their changerooms, up to the entrance to the ground and watch from there.. Would have to be more of a familirisation of the ground for Freo.

Then, the obvious question is why bother with a closed session nonsense especially when the match is being promoted as heavily as it is.

That doesn't sound right. If it was just a familiarisation of the ground, then the media and public would be no hassle. My understanding is that the sole purpose of a closed session is to stop opposition spies, or the media reporting on certain tactics that are employed during training. I'd assume that there must be some sort of restrictions on Eagles staff during Freo's closed sessions.

The positive of Jack would be his capacity to go forward and take contested marks. Keplar can do (and has done) this in the past as well.

When Kep was taking marks and kicking goals (in 2011) he was getting a lot of them on the lead, in space or in broken play I thought. Don't remember him taking all that many in contested situations.

Kep knows what he's doing up forward. If our mids get the ball forward enough I reckon he'll contribute more to the functioning of the forward line than Hannath, even if Kep doesn't kick many himself. Without NN in the ruck, Kep's substandard rucking won't burn us as badly.

I'd favour Kep if Clarke doesn't make it. And with Sandi's setback, I hope they keep Clarke on ice until round 2.

I'd worry that, since our advantage will be in the middle, to give up something in the ruck to have a better forward might mean we lose that edge in the centre square and I don't want fast entries into West Coast's forward line.

Agreed. Kep will not break even with Cox and Lycett at all. Not even close. For what he provides in the forward line, which isn't much imo, he badly lets us down when coming in to ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back