Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What's Boyd done in his career so far to claim top spot.

Bonts numero uno
Key forwards never come out and dominate in their first year unless your name is Jeremy Cameron, expect him to be a gun in a couple more years.
GWS had pick 1 and 2 so it doesn't really matter

Key forwards never come out and dominate in their first year unless your name is Jeremy Cameron, expect him to be a gun in a couple more years.
GWS had pick 1 and 2 so it doesn't really matter

I think everyone is aware of where the players were picked.

This thread was created to evaluate the pick's performances so far.

I think everyone is aware of where the players were picked.

This thread was created to evaluate the pick's performances so far.
No it wasn't, I put Scharenburg at pick 19 aand he hasn't played a game

No it wasn't, I put Scharenburg at pick 19 aand he hasn't played a game

If you're going to "redo" a draft after one year then you'd have to judge on output, surely? Otherwise it's far too early to judge and you may as well have them all in the order they were drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid I'm most excited about doesn't feature in this thread yet, which is fair enough as he has not debuted, but Sicily looks like an inspired selection on his Box Hill form.

Clean hands, took some great contested marks in the VFL gf

If you're going to "redo" a draft after one year then you'd have to judge on output, surely? Otherwise it's far too early to judge and you may as well have them all in the order they were drafted.

Agreed. Pretty hard for anyone to fairly judge the guys who haven't played games. Here they are listed by games played:

23 McDonald
22 Taylor
21 Aish
20 Merrett
19 Langdon
18 Impey, Kelly, K Koldjashnij, Lemmens
17 Gardiner
16 Ambrose (r), Billings, Bontempelli, Dunstan
Kennedy-Harris
Salem
11 Brown
10 Sheed
9 Boyd, McStay
8 Crouch, Lamb, Lloyd, Robertson
7 Cameron (r), Cutler, Georgiou (r), Gray (r), Hartung, Lennon
6 Templeton (r), Turner (r)
5 Johnson (r), O'Brien (r)
4 J Freeman, Jones, Sheehan (intl), Tippett (r)
3 Cripps, Fantasia, Herbert (r), Honeychurch
2 Apeness, Leslie, Lobb
1 Holman, Lang, McCarthy, Wanganeen (r)

(Leaving out the guys with previous AFL experience.)

In fact it's hard to judge any of the guys who played less than about 10. That only leaves about 20 so it should be pretty easy to do!

Mixture of output and potential

Surely "redoing" these drafts means hypothetically if the draft was held again today, you list who you would choose, or who you think would go where, which is why plenty would still have say Boyd at 1 or 2, because they still believe he has the attributes and talent to be dominant in the future.

Either that, or alternatively (especially with the older drafts) it is where you list who would have gone where if the clubs had their time over again and had the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:
Reckon Eli Templeton ought to at least crack some sort of mention after he played from R1, despite being on the rookie list, until he broke his arm and missed the rest of the season. Showed some good signs and looks to have enough of the required attributes. Has already been upgraded and given a two year deal.

Blake Acres another one of course, who, despite having a very injury-interrupted year, we have seen enough in already to sign up for 4 more years, which I think is the longest contract of anyone on our list and the longest anyone's had at our club for a few years.

At the moment maybe, but if so much of that would be due to the fact that his tank is currently a lot bigger than Jack's (who's tank is well off the mark at this point, due largely to how much footy he missed in the two years leading up to his draft), which makes it far easier to make an immediate impact in AFL footy.

Jack spent half of this year huffing and puffing and with a face the colour of a beetroot, because he was so exhausted and you're not going to show your true colours when you're exhausted half the time. We were also reportedly working our "kids" 30% harder than we usually would to try and fast-track their development, which would have contributed to that exhaustion on game days. Was no surprise at all to me when he pinged his hammy late in the year and I thought he actually did well to hold out that long.

I expect he will start carving games of footy up once his tank is closer to the mark and once he's built up his strength a little more. His 25 possession (at 100% efficiency- apparently a record for that many disposals since DE stats have been kept), 3 goal and 1 Brownlow vote (in a losing team) game v West Coast showed what sort of ability he has and why he was taken at no.3 in his draft, despite an injury-interrupted year leading into that draft.
I don't want to start an argument here but I'm just saying that Taylor didn't start training until a week before round 1, so he literally had no preseason. So stating that Billings will overtake him when he gets a better tank doesn't work because Lewy will also improve just as much.

The thread title says it all "Redo the 2013 draft". Not "who had the best year from the 2013 draft".

Lewey Taylor has as much upside as any player on that list and more than most. Very light framed at the moment to go with his small stature. When he gets some strength he will be able to stick tackles and work inside with a lot more confidence. Also can develop his tank a lot more yet.

He comes from being a 30 possession player at junior level and don't think he won't replicate that in a few years when he works on his body and shifts into the midfield.

Lewey Taylor has as much upside as any player on that list and more than most. Very light framed at the moment to go with his small stature. When he gets some strength he will be able to stick tackles and work inside with a lot more confidence. Also can develop his tank a lot more yet.

He comes from being a 30 possession player at junior level and don't think he won't replicate that in a few years when he works on his body and shifts into the midfield.
Agree that Taylor is somehow still underrated. I'd have him top 5 in a draft re-do for sure. He's a weapon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back