osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
Scharenburg played half a game in the rezzies. How can he beat one player who played a game. Ben Brown from North clearly did more than him!
Given this is only last year, wouldnt you think something similar to the Rising Star for the top 5 would be in order.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Scharenburg played half a game in the rezzies. How can he beat one player who played a game. Ben Brown from North clearly did more than him!
Given this is only last year, wouldnt you think something similar to the Rising Star for the top 5 would be in order.
Scharenburg's potential is through the roof, even if I knew he'd be injured for the start of his career I'd still use a pick around the 20 mark on him. Has all the attributes you want and will be a star one day

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah Ben Brown a bit stiff, he would of been one of the next ones picked though

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scharenburg's potential is through the roof, even if I knew he'd be injured for the start of his career I'd still use a pick around the 20 mark on him. Has all the attributes you want and will be a star one day

I think the fact he has done a knee so young would reduce his pecking order, with the chance of it happening again and a year off footy

1. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Tom Boyd
3. Josh Kelly
4. Jack Billings
5. James Aish
6. Kade Kolodjashnij
7. Luke Dunstan
8. Luke McDonald (F/S)
9. Zach Merrett
10. Lewis Taylor
11. Tom Langdon
12. Matt Scharenberg
13. Christian Salem
14. Jarman Impey
15. Zak Jones
16. Ben Lennon
17. Sean Lemmens
18. Billy Hartung
19. Dom Sheed
20. Darcy Gardiner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid I'm most excited about doesn't feature in this thread yet, which is fair enough as he has not debuted, but Sicily looks like an inspired selection on his Box Hill form.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lewis Taylor should be a lot higher even if this is done on potential he should be higher then 7 he's a better player than Billings. if it's done on how the player's preformed this year he's top 2
The thread title says it all "Redo the 2013 draft". Not "who had the best year from the 2013 draft".

calumhfc

Senior List
Jun 13, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham
Not including players that haven't debuted cause I only follow box hill I don't follow the rest of the vfl and sanfl/wafl/neafl very closely but I expect big things from scharenberg, freeman, dumont, Sicily. IMO this is how I would rank last years draftees
1. Bontempeli
2. Kelly
3. Boyd
4. Aish
5. KK
6. Taylor
7. Billings
8. Dunstan
9. McDonald
10. Merrett
11. Langdon
12. Impey
13. Lemmens
14. Hartung
15. Crouch
16. Salem
17. Sheed
18. Brown
19. Gardiner
20. McStay
21. Lennon
22. JKH
23. Robertson
24. Gordon
25. Jones
26. Cripps

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The kid I'm most excited about doesn't feature in this thread yet, which is fair enough as he has not debuted, but Sicily looks like an inspired selection on his Box Hill form.

He's a bit out there and on edge too.

He won't be the same mongrel (and i say this in a good way) as Dermott, and neither will he be anywhere as good, but gee he had a bit of Dermott about him watching those 2 BH finals.

He's a bit out there and on edge too.

He won't be the same mongrel (and i say this in a good way) as Dermott, and neither will he be anywhere as good, but gee he had a bit of Dermott about him watching those 2 BH finals.
He was pretty electric most weeks, and for a kid built like a twig just loves getting in a scrap. Has a fair amount of campaigner in him.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reckon Eli Templeton ought to at least crack some sort of mention after he played from R1, despite being on the rookie list, until he broke his arm and missed the rest of the season. Showed some good signs and looks to have enough of the required attributes. Has already been upgraded and given a two year deal.

Blake Acres another one of course, who, despite having a very injury-interrupted year, we have seen enough in already to sign up for 4 more years, which I think is the longest contract of anyone on our list and the longest anyone's had at our club for a few years.

Lewis Taylor is a better player than Billings.
At the moment maybe, but if so much of that would be due to the fact that his tank is currently a lot bigger than Jack's (who's tank is well off the mark at this point, due largely to how much footy he missed in the two years leading up to his draft), which makes it far easier to make an immediate impact in AFL footy.

Jack spent half of this year huffing and puffing and with a face the colour of a beetroot, because he was so exhausted and you're not going to show your true colours when you're exhausted half the time. We were also reportedly working our "kids" 30% harder than we usually would to try and fast-track their development, which would have contributed to that exhaustion on game days. Was no surprise at all to me when he pinged his hammy late in the year and I thought he actually did well to hold out that long.

I expect he will start carving games of footy up once his tank is closer to the mark and once he's built up his strength a little more. His 25 possession (at 100% efficiency- apparently a record for that many disposals since DE stats have been kept), 3 goal and 1 Brownlow vote (in a losing team) game v West Coast showed what sort of ability he has and why he was taken at no.3 in his draft, despite an injury-interrupted year leading into that draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back