Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So Ben Brown runs in small circles for 15km a game?

I assume you dont watch them very often.
Actually Ben Brown goes on long leads and repeat leads like a good forward should.

It does not mean he plays up the ground, although modern football does result in forwards leading up to half back.

I don't believe Ben Brown has ever played key defence, and certainly not for an entire game.

He has played some ruck minutes, but North do not seem too keen on him filling that role either.

He plays key forward and is close to the most one dimensional player in the comp.

Actually Ben Brown goes on long leads and repeat leads like a good forward should.

It does not mean he plays up the ground, although modern football does result in forwards leading up to half back.

I don't believe Ben Brown has ever played key defence, and certainly not for an entire game.

He has played some ruck minutes, but North do not seem too keen on him filling that role either.

He plays key forward and is close to the most one dimensional player in the comp.
He pushes up to past the wing for the get out of the backline kick. But he is such a good shot for goal you don’t want him spending much time outside the forward 50.

1. Patrick Cripps
2. Josh Kelly
3. Ben Brown
4. James Sicily
5. Marcus Bontempelli
6. Zac Merrett
7. Dom Sheed
8. Matt Crouch

9. Orazio Fantasia
10. Jack Billings

Still reasonably confident that Bont will end up as a top 25 player in AFL eventually so have him as #5 despite his output being far worse than others in the top 6-7.

Sicily I see as a genuine match winner and already a top 25 player in AFL.

Ben Brown is exceptional and although he has his flaws, probably still the most valuable KPF in the comp due to his age.

Sheed big riser and I have him ahead of Crouch. Both highly productive but I certainly feel Sheed is more damaging and impactful around contests.

Big gap between top 8 and the rest.

I'm confused - you are picking McDonald over Brown because he can play more positions, even thought Brown plays his to an elite standard? Do you not have 21 other players in your side?

I'm confused - you are picking McDonald over Brown because he can play more positions, even thought Brown plays his to an elite standard? Do you not have 21 other players in your side?
Tom McDonald plays very well as a key forward and there is not really that much between him and Brown in that regard. For 2018 Brown average 2.8 goals (61 in 22 games) while McDonald was at 2.6 (53 in 20 games).

McDonald is ahead an almost every other statistic and yes I would take McDonald first because he matches Brown closely in Brown's strengths but can do more in other areas.

Tom McDonald plays very well as a key forward and there is not really that much between him and Brown in that regard. For 2018 Brown average 2.8 goals (61 in 22 games) while McDonald was at 2.6 (53 in 20 games).

Think you'll find Brown was injured for a fair bit of the last couple of months (was going at 3+ for most of the season), and also kicked 63 last year. McDonald is a very good player but I can't see how you'd take him over Brown as a genuine key forward, hence my question that you're actually picking him due to versatility, not quality in his best position.

But opinions are like arseholes...

1. Patrick Cripps
2. Josh Kelly
3. Ben Brown
4. James Sicily
5. Marcus Bontempelli
6. Zac Merrett
7. Dom Sheed
8. Matt Crouch

9. Orazio Fantasia
10. Jack Billings

Still reasonably confident that Bont will end up as a top 25 player in AFL eventually so have him as #5 despite his output being far worse than others in the top 6-7.

Ben Brown is exceptional and although he has his flaws, probably still the most valuable KPF in the comp due to his age.

Sheed big riser and I have him ahead of Crouch. Both highly productive but I certainly feel Sheed is more damaging and impactful around contests.

In what universe where you living before 2017.
Bont's output in 2015-16 is well ahead of most and only Cripps and Kelly have been close in subsequent seasons.

Bontempelli has not been at the same level in the last 2 years but he has still been a strong contributor, despite some obvious body issues that have restricted him.

In what universe where you living before 2017.
Bont's output in 2015-16 is well ahead of most and only Cripps and Kelly have been close in subsequent seasons.

Bontempelli has not been at the same level in the last 2 years but he has still been a strong contributor, despite some obvious body issues that have restricted him.
Cripps and Kelly are both better.

1. Patrick Cripps
2. Josh Kelly
3. Ben Brown
4. James Sicily
5. Marcus Bontempelli
6. Zac Merrett
7. Dom Sheed
8. Matt Crouch

9. Orazio Fantasia
10. Jack Billings

Think you overrated Sicily massively . He's very good but 3rd tall intercept defenders who are too small to play on genuine KPF aren't exactly rare players .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of recognition for Bontempelli is astounding.

So far...

Premiership player
1x All Australian
2x B&F (one in a premiership year)
5 times under 22 team of the year (3x captain)
AFLPA best first year player 2014
AFLCA best young player 2016
Youngest player to captain a winning side
Career Brownlow votes: 65

Josh Kelly career Brownlow votes: 37
Patty Cripps career Brownlow votes: 49

Last edited:
Flavor of the month stuff with Sheed. Dropped by WCE three times this season, his GF goal was incredible but don’t forget how poor his disposal was in the first half. Bontempelli won a BnF in a flag year.

Think you overrated Sicily massively . He's very good but 3rd tall intercept defenders who are too small to play on genuine KPF aren't exactly rare players .
I'd say he's the best 3rd tall intercepting defender in the league at the moment.

Also, what do you mean these players aren't rare? I can only think of Jeremy Howe, Jake Lever, Tom Jonas playing 3rd tall intercepting defender as their preferred role, all of them being exceptional players. On the other hand how many capable inside mids are there? Between 50-100 I'd say.

James Sicily is a genuine match winner. So is Bont, but just on this year Sicily has done it much, much more frequently.

I'd say he's the best 3rd tall intercepting defender in the league at the moment.

Also, what do you mean these players aren't rare? I can only think of Jeremy Howe, Jake Lever, Tom Jonas playing 3rd tall intercepting defender as their preferred role, all of them being exceptional players. On the other hand how many capable inside mids are there? Between 50-100 I'd say.

James Sicily is a genuine match winner. So is Bont, but just on this year Sicily has done it much, much more frequently.

Tom Langdon is top 10 in the league for intercepts per game and remains unsigned by Collingwood. It's one of the easiest roles to play in the league.

Tom Langdon is top 10 in the league for intercepts per game and remains unsigned by Collingwood. It's one of the easiest roles to play in the league.
I'd say a Alex Witherden type role is the easiest to play in the league.

Tom Langdon has major flaws to his game that's why we don't want to pay 600k+ per season for him. James Sicily is everything you'd hope for from an intercepting half back, great mark, good kick, good 1 on 1.

He's been targetted by taggers multiple times this year ahead of Mitchell/O'meara/Smith.

I would say Sicily would've been one of the first 15-18 player selected for AA had he not been injured this year.

I'd say a Alex Witherden type role is the easiest to play in the league.

Tom Langdon has major flaws to his game that's why we don't want to pay 600k+ per season for him. James Sicily is everything you'd hope for from an intercepting half back, great mark, good kick, good 1 on 1.

He's been targetted by taggers multiple times this year ahead of Mitchell/O'meara/Smith.

I would say Sicily would've been one of the first 15-18 player selected for AA had he not been injured this year.

Sicily is amazing and Langdon has major flaws? There's no way they are that far apart.

Collingwood didn't put any sort of offer until Monday after the Grand Final. 3rd talls interceptors who can't play on genuine KPF just aren't that valuable imo

Sicily is amazing and Langdon has major flaws? There's no way they are that far apart.

Collingwood didn't put any sort of offer until Monday after the Grand Final. 3rd talls interceptors who can't play on genuine KPF just aren't that valuable imo
The main difference is that Sicily has the speed, agility and awareness to actually rebound and gain meters after intercepting possessions.

Langdon is extremely slow, often gets caught and is very unreliable with his kicking even if he takes the safe option more often than not.

Also it's important to note that Langdon does not play as our designated 3rd tall intercepting defender, you keep bringing this up and it just makes me think that you have very rarely watched him. Langdon is a medium defender who is actually quite capable defensively, and instead of simply spoiling, he actually gets contested marks from oppositions, but this is more due to him beating his opponent 1 on 1 rather than drifting off and intervening other contests like Rance.

I actually do rate Langdon and would expect an early 2nd for him if Freo wants him, but it's mainly due to his 1 on 1 skills and contested marking ability. I'd not want him to ever run off half-back and rebound.

Sicily is as good as Jeremy Howe/Lever in intercepting possessions, but also he's a very capable rebounding HBF who can run and set up plays from half back like Johanissen.

The main difference is that Sicily has the speed, agility and awareness to actually rebound and gain meters after intercepting possessions.

Langdon is extremely slow, often gets caught and is very unreliable with his kicking even if he takes the safe option more often than not.

Also it's important to note that Langdon does not play as our designated 3rd tall intercepting defender, you keep bringing this up and it just makes me think that you have very rarely watched him. Langdon is a medium defender who is actually quite capable defensively, and instead of simply spoiling, he actually gets contested marks from oppositions, but this is more due to him beating his opponent 1 on 1 rather than drifting off and intervening other contests like Rance.

I actually do rate Langdon and would expect an early 2nd for him if Freo wants him, but it's mainly due to his 1 on 1 skills and contested marking ability. I'd not want him to ever run off half-back and rebound.

Sicily is as good as Jeremy Howe/Lever in intercepting possessions, but also he's a very capable rebounding HBF who can run and set up plays from half back like Johanissen.

So you see Langdon more as a McGovern role?

I do like your analysis of Sicily. Far too many just take pot shots. Despite suspensions he was still a lock for AA HBF before his injury.

For those putting Bont ahead of Brown, Brown continues to get better. Bont peaked 2 years ago and struggled this year. His goal kicking has become Cloke-esque.

And before you lot go to the stats, he shanks so many they fail to go 40m or end up OOTF.

If his form returns next year then Im sure the revisited thread can congratulate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back