Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So you see Langdon more as a McGovern role?

I do like your analysis of Sicily. Far too many just take pot shots. Despite suspensions he was still a lock for AA HBF before his injury.

For those putting Bont ahead of Brown, Brown continues to get better. Bont peaked 2 years ago and struggled this year. His goal kicking has become Cloke-esque.

And before you lot go to the stats, he shanks so many they fail to go 40m or end up OOTF.

If his form returns next year then Im sure the revisited thread can congratulate him.
Don't think he's that similar to Mcgovern. It's also hard to find a direct comparison for Langdon.

Think he's more your Caleb Marchbank type? Can play KPD on talls can play on medium forwards. Best played as an intercepting 3rd tall, but neither have the foot skills to truly excel in that position.

I think his value lies in his flexibility, sometimes you need a taller defence against a certain team, sometimes a smaller, but against either types Langdon will have his purpose.

Sicily the only player of 9 that Hawthorn drafted/rookied in 2013 that is still in the AFL but boy is he a steal at #56. A great draft overall with some really good talents falling late in the draft.

In terms of late steals Neville Jetta looks was a great one at pick 50 in the rookie draft

Sicily the only player of 9 that Hawthorn drafted/rookied in 2013 that is still in the AFL but boy is he a steal at #56. A great draft overall with some really good talents falling late in the draft.

In terms of late steals Neville Jetta looks was a great one at pick 50 in the rookie draft

Jetta was rookie listed after being delisted. He’s really from the 2008 draft.

Anywho, it’s time for another weekly draw-up of this draft

1. Patrick Cripps
2. Josh Kelly
3. Marcus Bontempelli
4. Ben Brown
5. Zach Merrett
6. Matt Crouch
7. James Sicily
8. Orazio Fantasia
9. Tom Barrass
10. Alex Pearce
11. Charlie Cameron
12. Toby Nankervis
13. George Hewett
14. Darcy Gardiner
15. Tom Langdon
16. Jack Billings
17. Dom Sheed
18. Trent Dumont
19. Matt Scharenberg
20. Rory Lobb

Probably a bit of recency bias but oh well, 2018 form is better now than 2016 form.

Last edited:
Nailed it. :D
d8df66e116e38c3ec3be2816d3d287ce.png

That's what I call nailing a prediction.

I was on the Sic train before anyone :D

Anywho, it’s time for another weekly draw-up of this draft

1. Patrick Cripps
2. Josh Kelly
3. Marcus Bontempelli
4. Ben Brown
5. Zach Merrett
6. Matt Crouch
7. James Sicily
8. Orazio Fantasia
9. Tom Barrass
10. Alex Pearce
11. Charlie Cameron
12. Toby Nankervis
13. George Hewett
14. Darcy Gardiner
15. Tom Langdon
16. Jack Billings
17. Dom Sheed
18. Trent Dumont
19. Matt Scharenberg
20. Rory Lobb

Probably a bit of recency bias but oh well, 2018 form is better now than 2016 form.
Good list but I mean.. If you're biased you could make an argument for Bont over Merrett and Crouch if you emphasize the hurt-factor/versatility. But I doubt anyone would take Bont over Ben Brown.

After all, Bont still gives a Bryce Gibbs/Trent Cotchin kind of impression where they reach a very high level early on but sort of just stagnate/worsen for the rest of their careers.

Personally I'd have it as:
1. Cripps
2. Brown
3. Kelly
4. Merrett
5. Sicily
6. Bont
7. Crouch
8. Sheed
9. Fantasia
10. Barrass

Good list but I mean.. If you're biased you could make an argument for Bont over Merrett and Crouch if you emphasize the hurt-factor/versatility. But I doubt anyone would take Bont over Ben Brown.

After all, Bont still gives a Bryce Gibbs/Trent Cotchin kind of impression where they reach a very high level early on but sort of just stagnate/worsen for the rest of their careers.

1. Cripps
2. Brown
3. Kelly
4. Merrett
5. Sicily
6. Bont
7. Crouch
8. Sheed
9. Fantasia
10. Barrass
and Merrett is the ultimate hang out and unaccountable footballer in the league. In Montagna/Camporeale mould.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

and Merrett is the ultimate hang out and unaccountable footballer in the league. In Montagna/Camporeale mould.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yet ranks second at Essendon for contested possessions, clearances and tackles.

doesn't quite support your argument in the slightest.

Yeah but Essendon are soft so that doesn't matter

People get too worried about raw numbers when comparing players. Essendon was top 6 in the comp for clearance differential. Merrett was our 2nd best inside mid in a role he's not physically suited to. To suggest he's some sort of chip scab is moronic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Cripps
2. Brown
3. Kelly
4. Merrett
5. Sicily
6. Bont
7. Crouch
8. Sheed
9. Fantasia
10. Barrass

It's all very tight. Personally I'm easily having Bontempelli ahead of Brown. Tall mids that go forward and can play anywhere are worth their weight in gold. I recon you have nailed the top 10 bar Sheed.

Personally

1. Kelly (not by much but I'd have him at 1)
2. Cripps
3. Bontempelli
4. Sicily
5. Brown
6. Merrett
7. Barasss
8. Fantasia
9. Crouch
10. Langdon or Cameron

It's all very tight. Personally I'm easily having Bontempelli ahead of Brown. Tall mids that go forward and can play anywhere are worth their weight in gold. I recon you have nailed the top 10 bar Sheed.

Personally

1. Kelly (not by much but I'd have him at 1)
2. Cripps
3. Bontempelli
4. Sicily
5. Brown
6. Merrett
7. Barasss
8. Fantasia
9. Crouch
10. Langdon or Cameron
My line of thinking is similar to yours, although I do rate goal scoring mids possibly even higher than you do. It's hard to ensure I'm not being subjective, but I'd honestly rate it as:

1. Bontempelli
2. Kelly
3. Cripps
4. Brown
5. Sicily
6. Merrett
7. Crouch
8. Fantasia
9. Cameron
10. Barrass

My top 3 are all so close that you could jumble that order and it would barely make a difference though. Everyone seems to agree these 3 are hard to separate

My line of thinking is similar to yours, although I do rate goal scoring mids possibly even higher than you do. It's hard to ensure I'm not being subjective, but I'd honestly rate it as:

1. Bontempelli
2. Kelly
3. Cripps
4. Brown
5. Sicily
6. Merrett
7. Crouch
8. Fantasia
9. Cameron
10. Barrass

My top 3 are all so close that you could jumble that order and it would barely make a difference though. Everyone seems to agree these 3 are hard to separate
I think it's fairly clear Cripps and Kelly are a league above, it would be hard to find a non-bulldog supporter who would take Bont over Kelly or Cripps. The real question is Merret or Bont. Personally, i'm a Merret fan.

I think it's fairly clear Cripps and Kelly are a league above, it would be hard to find a non-bulldog supporter who would take Bont over Kelly or Cripps. The real question is Merret or Bont. Personally, i'm a Merret fan.
I feel like recency bias is coming into play a lot with these assessments. Bont was carrying a hip injury all year, which wasn't dealt with until he took time out to have his appendix removed.
Once he came back, his last 5 games he managed (just from raw stats perspective):
> 22 disposals, 8 clearances (1st game back from injury)
> 22 disposals, 4 goals, 4 clearances, 4 marks, 2 Brownlow votes
> 35 disposals, 2 goals, 7 inside 50s, 4 clearances, 3 Brownlow votes
> 37 disposals, 7 inside 50s, 3 Brownlow votes
> 29 disposals, 8 tackles

He was probably in the best form of any player in the competition for the final 5 rounds, and it happened to coincide with him finally being injury free. I can understand argument for putting Kelly above him (even still, I rate Bont higher), but no way is Merrett even close to that league. Kelly, Bont and Cripps are in their own tier from this draft

but no way is Merrett even close to that league. Kelly, Bont and Cripps are in their own tier from this draft

I can see Merrett being the same as Sam Mitchell from 2001 who was considered nowhere near the likes of Judd, Hodge and Ablett for much of his career but his level of consistency and elite skill level got him recognition in the end as being right up there.

Last edited:
I can see Merrett being the same as Sam Mitchell from 2001 who was considered nowhere near the likes of Judd, Hodge and Ablett for much of his career but his level of consistency and elite skill level got him recognition in the end as being right up there.
Which is a fair assessment, but no way do you take Mitchell over Judd or Ablett, and Hodge would be pushing it. In this scenario, I'd consider Kelly and Bont as the equivalent of Judd and Ablett, with Cripps being Hodge.

No knock on Merrett, he's an absolute gun and could very well win a Brownlow one day. Would even be worth pick 1 in most other drafts, but he's got to be behind the top 3 for me

Which is a fair assessment, but no way do you take Mitchell over Judd or Ablett, and Hodge would be pushing it. In this scenario, I'd consider Kelly and Bont as the equivalent of Judd and Ablett, with Cripps being Hodge.

No knock on Merrett, he's an absolute gun and could very well win a Brownlow one day. Would even be worth pick 1 in most other drafts, but he's got to be behind the top 3 for me

That's your opinion. I just think it's laughable to suggest he isn't in their league .

That's your opinion. I just think it's laughable to suggest he isn't in their league .
It's all highly subjective. In my opinion, it's laughable to suggest Merrett is in their league. I'd have him no higher than 6th for this draft since Sicily and Brown would also be above him

Kelly was voted the 3rd best player in the comp behind Dusty and Danger in 2017. Merrett is not at that level - the level he is at is still good but you can’t put him along side Kelly.

To me level and league arenta the same thing. Merrett was a top 10 mid in 2017. I'd say that puts him in the same league as Kelly .

It's all highly subjective. In my opinion, it's laughable to suggest Merrett is in their league. I'd have him no higher than 6th for this draft since Sicily and Brown would also be above him

When two neutral posters have put Merrett ahead of Bont just on the last page. I'd suggest it's your bias that has them leagues apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back