8. Barass
9. Fantasia
10. Gardiner
11. Nankervis
12. Langdon
13. Sheed
14. Billings
15. Scharenberg

It drops off quickly after 10 but as someone said there are 40+ solid contributors and role players, many who will end up as premiership players and carve out some handy careers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Kelly
2. Cripps
3. Sicily
4. Bont
5. Merrett

The Lions drafted Aish, Gardiner, McStay, Taylor, Cutler and Robertson in this draft. All bar Aish are currently still on our list and are best 22 players. Great draft for us. Gardiner in particular is a ripper.
I reckon you’ve got the top 3 right there.

Kelly is sublime. Just glides across the park. Silky skills too.

Cripps is an absolute beast of a player, he just needs to stay healthy.

Sic was on track to be AA before busting his wrist. If he can keep his head together for a full season the fortunes of the side will benefit greatly

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon

Sic was on track to be AA before busting his wrist. If he can keep his head together for a full season the fortunes of the side will benefit greatly
Interesting criteria.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Can you find someone else to send notifications too.
You spend a strange amount of time here for someone that wants to avoid notifications.

Its interesting that you use Sicily almost making AA as a reason for him being top three ahead of 2 others that did make AA.

I'd have both of them over him, and Brown as well.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Each of Zach Merrett’s five seasons have been better than each of Sicily’s; on no planet is Sicily ahead to date
It is very relevant to consider the player relative to their position. Merrett is basically the 5th best midfielder from this draft, while Sicily is no doubt the best defender, while demonstrating ability as a swingman. Even if Merrett has performed "better" (subjective), you also have to consider how replaceable that player is.

This is another reason why Ben Brown would feature quite high on these lists. He is obviously not as good as Bont, Kelly, Cripps, Sicily and possibly even Merrett and Crouch, but I'd easily put him top 5 based on the fact that decent key forwards are hard to come by

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

In no world does Sicily get drafted ahead of Brown, Bont and Merrett in a redraft

Each of Zach Merrett’s five seasons have been better than each of Sicily’s; on no planet is Sicily ahead to date
Midfielders are a necessity for every side and every side has them. I drew no comparison with Merrett because he’s just another midfielder in amongst a top few in the list.

Sicily is a defender in the McGovern mold who intercepts almost everything and sends it back the other way with interest, and he has been one of the most damaging in that role since he moved there mid-2017.

In no world does Sicily get drafted ahead of Brown, Bont and Merrett in a redraft
In your opinion.

In my opinion it would be arguable in the case of Bontempelli as he has plateaued quite a bit, but you’re probably correct on Brown.

Merrett isn’t really in the conversation with any of the above players.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
In your opinion.

In my opinion it would be arguable in the case of Bontempelli as he has plateaued quite a bit, but you’re probably correct on Brown.

Of course you would say that...

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
In your opinion.

Your argument for Sicily was that he was nearly AA. But a player who is a proven AA is not even in the conversation.. You keep doing you man

Your argument for Sicily was that he was nearly AA. But a player who is a proven AA is not even in the conversation.. You keep doing you man
That wasn’t my argument at all, it was just a comment on his year.

Such is the midfield depth of this draft, yes
“Of course you would say that....”

Maybe don’t get your knickers in a twist when someone has a different opinion.

As would Virgin Dog it seems.

Are you going to argue that the 4-5th best performed midfielder from this draft is better than the best key defender from it?
Where they play is irrelevant. There could be 3 midfielders outperforming the best key defender in a draft (such as 2008 where really only Sidebottom, Beams and Hannebery have outperformed Hurley) or there could be 10 that have outperformed them (Such as 2010 where Gaff, Heppell, Smith, Swallow, Guthrie, Parker, Libba, Prestia, Lyons etc have all outperformed the few key defenders of that draft). On consistency of performance Merrett year upon year Merrett has outperformed Sicily comfortably.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In your opinion.

Bontempelli plateauing is largely due to carrying injury all year. He was struggling with hip troubles all year, and once he took the fortnight off to deal with appendicitis, he came back fit and healthy. Ended up in probably some of the best form of his career for the last 5 games of 2018, so while it is largely subjective, I'd argue he hasn't really plateaued, just been set back a bit by injury this year

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disagree. Intercepting defenders who can hurt the other way are worth their weight in gold. Sicily will soon be the best intercepting/rebounding defender in the comp. Merrett is a good midfielder and obviously has much better stats over his career but in terms of value I would take Sicily.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
“Of course you would say that....”

Maybe don’t get your knickers in a twist when someone has a different opinion.

No knickers in a twist here. Just making an observation that going on past form your opinion is very predictable..

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Disagree. Intercepting defenders who can hurt the other way are worth their weight in gold. Sicily will soon be the best intercepting/rebounding defender in the comp. Merrett is a good midfielder and obviously has much better stats over his career but in terms of value I would take Sicily.

You have the 188cm Sicily outperforming McGovern and Rance soon? Sheer lack of size will prevent him from becoming the best in the comp imo

Back