Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You have the 188cm Sicily outperforming McGovern and Rance soon? Sheer lack of size will prevent him from becoming the best in the comp imo
Sicily plays much taller than he actually is. What he lacks in height he makes up for with his ability to read the flight of the ball and his jumping. We've seen him outmark players much taller than him consistently for the last couple of years.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
While this draft bats pretty deep, the following years will determine whether or not the depth is still 40+ or will it trim somewhat?

Also, I feel comfortable saying that Sam Gray forever stays above Aish until their careers end.
Gray has played more consistently I've felt and does his job well while Aish I feel has floated in and out too many times in games.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Sicily plays much taller than he actually is. What he lacks in height he makes up for with his ability to read the flight of the ball and his jumping. We've seen him outmark players much taller than him consistently for the last couple of years.

Still don't seem home catching the likes of Rance and McGovern any time soon

Still don't seem home catching the likes of Rance and McGovern any time soon
In 2017 after he was moved into this role only Rance won more intercept possessions. Late in that season he had also taken more marks in defence than anyone else, and was equal 1st for contested marks in defensive 50. His 2018 was even better, but was hindered by suspension and the broken wrist.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
In 2017 after he was moved into this role only Rance won more intercept possessions. Late in that season he had also taken more marks in defence than anyone else, and was equal 1st for contested marks in defensive 50. His 2018 was even better, but was hindered by suspension and the broken wrist.

Not all intercept possessions are equal and are a function of the role you are given in a side. Marty Gleeson lead the comp for intercepts over an 8 week period in 2017. Ben Stratton stepped up and became an elite intercept player when handed Sicily's role in Hawthorn side.

I'm not saying Sicily isn't a gun as his kicking ability makes him an extremely damaging player but he's never going to be in the same class as blokes who can beat the gun KPFs whilst also launching attacks through intercepts.

Mid size intercept players just aren't rare enough commodities in the AFL to take them ahead of elite midfielders imo.

Not all intercept possessions are equal and are a function of the role you are given in a side. Marty Gleeson lead the comp for intercepts over an 8 week period in 2017. Ben Stratton stepped up and became an elite intercept player when handed Sicily's role in Hawthorn side.

I'm not saying Sicily isn't a gun as his kicking ability makes him an extremely damaging player but he's never going to be in the same class as blokes who can beat the gun KPFs whilst also launching attacks through intercepts.

Mid size intercept players just aren't rare enough commodities in the AFL to take them ahead of elite midfielders imo.
He’s already doing this.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Id have Merrett over Sicily.

With Murphy dropping away from the player he once was, we could use a player like Merrett in our side.

Weirdly the Dons could use a contested inside mid like Cripps to feed the ball out to Merrett and now Shiel on the outside.

We got lucky and the game after Judd went down, Cripps stepped up. The Dons dont really have a player that stepped into the void left by Watson.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
People talk about Sicily's intercepting skills but often don't mention his kicking, one of the most damaging kicks in the comp right now. Can kick 50-60m and they are bullets to hit a player on the chest. Can hit the scoreboard off half back and has one of the most beautiful faces in the game. Has to be right near the top in re drafts.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
People talk about Sicily's intercepting skills but often don't mention his kicking, one of the most damaging kicks in the comp right now. Can kick 50-60m and they are bullets to hit a player on the chest. Can hit the scoreboard off half back and has one of the most beautiful faces in the game. Has to be right near the top in re drafts.
It was mentioned literally 5 posts ago...

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Sicily is very good no doubt. I get his kicking is elite. I keep coming back to our game at Spotless last year though. When both teams tacitly agreed on a loose back it was Haynes that dominated. He's more mature and near his peak I'll concede.

Id have Merrett over Sicily.

With Murphy dropping away from the player he once was, we could use a player like Merrett in our side.

Weirdly the Dons could use a contested inside mid like Cripps to feed the ball out to Merrett and now Shiel on the outside.

We got lucky and the game after Judd went down, Cripps stepped up. The Dons dont really have a player that stepped into the void left by Watson.
Shiel was 2nd in clearances for the league in 2017, sure he played more outside last season but he'll slot into the inside role for us in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Except for 2018. Without injury Sicily was AA level. Merrett was never in the conversation.

Because there is greater competition. Merrett started the season roughly but at the close, his form was back to his best, and he was a huge factor in Essendon collecting 10 wins from their final 14 games.

Yeah Sicily was having a splendid year, but Merrett ended up on top.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Because there is greater competition. Merrett started the season roughly but at the close, his form was back to his best, and he was a huge factor in Essendon collecting 10 wins from their final 14 games.

Based on what?

I would argue his peak throughout the season wasn't as high and his form was more inconsistent. The only thing he gets a the nod over Sicily on is games played.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Based on what?

I would argue his peak throughout the season wasn't as high and his form was more inconsistent. The only thing he gets a the nod over Sicily on is games played.

Based on footy games that Merrett played. I get that consistently consistent players set the bar high but Merrett was playing elite footy in the back end of the year.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Based on footy games that Merrett played. I get that consistently consistent players set the bar high but Merrett was playing elite footy in the back end of the year.
And wasn't at the start of the year, so he wasn't consistently consistent like you said? Quality player who wasn't at his best this year.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Sicily has had one elite season to date, whilst Merrett has had multiple great seasons. I personally really like Merrett as a player, he reminds me of Sam Mitchell around the packs TBH.

Sicily is a very unique player though and is one of the very best kicks in the league in terms of accuracy, penetration and distance. He's also an elite mark. He was heading towards his maiden AA if not for his injury and will likely be a perennial AA candidate. Another year of this kind of season and he's cementing his spot in the top 5 of this draft over midfielders like Merrett, but as of now I think it goes like this:

J. Kelly
P. Cripps
The Bont (if not for injuries he'd be #2)
B. Brown
Z. Merrett
J. Sicily
M. Crouch
T. Barrass
T. Nankervis
D. Gardiner

Best of the rest:
D. Sheed
O. Fantasia
J. Billings
T. Langdon
T. Boyd
R. Lobb
Z. Jones
J. Impey
M. Scharenberg
A. Pearce
G. Hewett
C. Cameron
L. McDonald
A. Aliir
L. Dunstan
L. Taylor
K.K.
DBJ

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

I disagree - Sicily was as good as any backmen in the comp - averaged 23 touches and kicked 6 goals in 16 games. Merrett as a mid averaged 26 touches and kick 6 goals in 22 games.

Which KPF has he toweled up?
Is Joe Daniher a key forward?

ADE3DC2D-697B-4E5C-BE0B-01B88BD18F15.jpeg

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Please, Daniher was playing on one leg. This was his last game he played before we learned he was battling OP. You can’t count that surely
He played 96% of game time. Every player carries something into games.

Sicily wasn’t shy in telling Daniher he is better off taking the rest of the year off. Good advice.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
He played 96% of game time. Every player carries something into games.

Sicily wasn’t shy in telling Daniher he is better off taking the rest of the year off. Good advice.

Sure I get that all players have niggles but this was an injury that put him out for the remaining 15 weeks of the season and he is still struggling with now 8 months later. OP severely limited all of Joe’s strengths and I feel our medical team/Joe himself badly mismanaged the situation but that’s another argument...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back