Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I got the point you were trying to make.

It’s the point about why Sicily went in the 50s I found interesting. Either you have made that up or you can back it up.

He was drafted as a forward with a question marks on his size and kicking. That’s why I thought he slid. He has turned into a gun intercept/rebounding defender. A Clarkson master stroke!!

No it was just a presumption by myself, It would have definitely been factored into coaches thinking when looking to draft him. The psychological tests that draftees are put through these days I’m sure a lot of clubs worked out he was a headcase

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Daniher played on Sicily pretty well. Kept him to only one goal

1546568665077.gif

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sicily has had one elite season to date, whilst Merrett has had multiple great seasons. I personally really like Merrett as a player, he reminds me of Sam Mitchell around the packs TBH.

Sicily is a very unique player though and is one of the very best kicks in the league in terms of accuracy, penetration and distance. He's also an elite mark. He was heading towards his maiden AA if not for his injury and will likely be a perennial AA candidate. Another year of this kind of season and he's cementing his spot in the top 5 of this draft over midfielders like Merrett, but as of now I think it goes like this:

J. Kelly
P. Cripps
The Bont (if not for injuries he'd be #2)
B. Brown
Z. Merrett
J. Sicily
M. Crouch
T. Barrass
T. Nankervis
D. Gardiner

Best of the rest:
D. Sheed
O. Fantasia
J. Billings
T. Langdon
T. Boyd
R. Lobb
Z. Jones
J. Impey
M. Scharenberg
A. Pearce
G. Hewett
C. Cameron
L. McDonald
A. Aliir
L. Dunstan
L. Taylor
K.K.
DBJ

He is not in front of Crouch yet either

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Sicily has had one elite season to date, whilst Merrett has had multiple great seasons. I personally really like Merrett as a player, he reminds me of Sam Mitchell around the packs TBH.

Sicily is a very unique player though and is one of the very best kicks in the league in terms of accuracy, penetration and distance. He's also an elite mark. He was heading towards his maiden AA if not for his injury and will likely be a perennial AA candidate. Another year of this kind of season and he's cementing his spot in the top 5 of this draft over midfielders like Merrett, but as of now I think it goes like this:

J. Kelly
P. Cripps
The Bont (if not for injuries he'd be #2)
B. Brown
Z. Merrett
J. Sicily
M. Crouch
T. Barrass
T. Nankervis
D. Gardiner

Best of the rest:
D. Sheed
O. Fantasia
J. Billings
T. Langdon
T. Boyd
R. Lobb
Z. Jones
J. Impey
M. Scharenberg
A. Pearce
G. Hewett
C. Cameron
L. McDonald
A. Aliir
L. Dunstan
L. Taylor
K.K.
DBJ
You couldn't squeeze James Harmes somewhere in your "Best of the rest" ?

Third in Melbourne's B&F in 2018.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Been doing a few of these lately. This was one of the harder ones. Just my 2 cents

1 - Cripps
2 - Bont (genuinely 50/50 with Cripps for 1)
3 - Kelly (clear top 3 then daylight)
4 - B.Brown (next best for me)
5 - Z.Merritt
6 - Sicily
7 - M.Crouch
8 - Cameron (Throw a blanket over the next 5 at this stage)
9 - Barrass
10 - Billings
11 - Nank
12 - Fantasia
13 - Gardiner
14 - Langdon
15 - Pearce
16 - Lobb
17 - Sheed
18 - Dumont

Hewitt, Acres, Impey & McDonald next off

*All assuming we don’t count rookie elevations. If so Laird, Rampe and Z.Williams all go top 12

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Been doing a few of these lately. This was one of the harder ones. Just my 2 cents

1 - Cripps
2 - Bont (genuinely 50/50 with Cripps for 1)
3 - Kelly (clear top 3 then daylight)
4 - B.Brown (next best for me)
5 - Z.Merritt
6 - Sicily
7 - M.Crouch
8 - Cameron (seems very underrated here)
9 - Barrass (then a bit of a gap to the next 5 that all seem fairly level)
10 - Billings
11 - Nank
12 - Fantasia
13 - Gardiner
14 - Langdon
15 - Pearce
16 - Lobb
17 - Sheed
18 - Dumont

Hewitt & McDonald next off

*All assuming we don’t count rookie elevations. If so Laird, Rampe and Z.Williams all go top 12

Charlie Cameron vs Orazio Fantasia is an interesting debate.

May be biased but I'd have Fantasia ahead unless Cameron manages to turn himself into a genuine mid as I don't think he has the same level of impact forward that Orazio has.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

May be biased but I'd have Fantasia ahead unless Cameron manages to turn himself into a genuine mid as I don't think he has the same level of impact forward that Orazio has.

Agree with that, although BT does ruin somehow ruin my enjoyment of watching Fantasia play with the bloody melodramatic way he pronounces his name :mad:

He is a gun though, and probably more consistent than Cameron (who to be fair, is more likely to win you games when he is on song)

Just a terrific draft overall, and its easy to forget that Cripps was a shock selection for Carlton at the time, it was the only decent thing to happen to the club during the Malthouse era ..

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda

Agree with that, although BT does ruin somehow ruin my enjoyment of watching Fantasia play with the bloody melodramatic way he pronounces his name :mad:

He is a gun though, and probably more consistent than Cameron (who to be fair, is more likely to win you games when he is on song)

Just a terrific draft overall, and its easy to forget that Cripps was a shock selection for Carlton at the time, it was the only decent thing to happen to the club during the Malthouse era ..
Also Raz ahead of Billings as well for me.
I still have hope that Billings finally becomes the player we thought he would, Might be this season so I may grab him in SC.
Absolutely agree with having Billings squarely in this conversation too. Just went back and had a look at all 3 on paper (Cameron, Billings & Fantasia).
Stats are pretty much identical across all three of them (on reflection was amazed how close).

Cameron’s goal total is easily in front of the other two. He also averages the most tackles of the group too, so he is doing it both offensively and defensively.

Fantasia has the highest average goals per game (bad accuracy kills Billings here). Cameron and Billings both average more goal assists per game, but not by much at all.

Billings averages 8 or so more disposals a game, but also has less clangers than both Orazio and Charlie. So slightly different in that regard.

Interestingly Cameron and Billings have played basically an extra seasons worth of games than Fantasia.

So it really becomes quite subjective as stats don't do a great deal to split them. For me, Cameron has shown he can pull his weight in both a very good and average team. And if I am coaching against those players, Cameron makes me the most nervous. But that's just me.

Splitting hairs though as all 3 are quality, yet simultaneously still have so much untapped potential (and should probably all contribute more given their talent)! If any of them don't win multiple AA's by the end of their careers it is probably wasted talent. At this stage though all are still stuck in that 8-12 range when I redo the draft, as they haven't done as much as the first 7 (again at this stage).

*Top 7 being Cripps, Bont, Kelly, Brown, Merrett, Sicily & Crouch

Last edited:

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Consistency was one of the knocks on Charlie but before his foot injury last year he was on fire and looking at a possible AA inclusion. Will be interesting to see how he goes this year

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think so, as good as he is.

And especially not if Cripps, Kelly, Bont or Merrett win the Brownlow. :)
Merrett could win three Brownlows and I'd still take Brown. Merrett isn't a bad player either but shouldn't be named next to those other wmids.

Back