Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Good to see Raz is getting some love outside the Essendon board. I thought it was only us who realised he was actually a handy player and not just a funny name.

Not our best player but quite possibly our most important. If he kicks a handful of goals we usually win. Reads the ball coming into F50 as good as anyone, an outstanding crumber.

I rate Cameron and Billings too but I feel like Billings went backwards a little last year and Cameron wasn’t quite as dangerous in a lesser side. Interested to see how things turn out for them this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Merrett could win three Brownlows and I'd still take Brown. Merrett isn't a bad player either but shouldn't be named next to those other wmids.
Sixty goal key forwards are never anything to sneeze at, but I find Brown pretty one dimensional.

Yes kicking goals is a great one wood, but unless I'm mistaken he doesn't really provide that connecting target up on the wings that the best roaming key forwards do.

Happy to be corrected.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Good to see Raz is getting some love outside the Essendon board. I thought it was only us who realised he was actually a handy player and not just a funny name.

Not our best player but quite possibly our most important. If he kicks a handful of goals we usually win. Reads the ball coming into F50 as good as anyone, an outstanding crumber.

I rate Cameron and Billings too but I feel like Billings went backwards a little last year and Cameron wasn’t quite as dangerous in a lesser side. Interested to see how things turn out for them this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol - 2 from 2.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sixty goal key forwards are never anything to sneeze at, but I find Brown pretty one dimensional.

Yes kicking goals is a great one wood, but unless I'm mistaken he doesn't really provide that connecting target up on the wings that the best roaming key forwards do.

Happy to be corrected.
Doesn't really matter if he bags 60 a year. Melbourne hasn't had a player kick 60 since 2006 to give you an idea how hard a prolific goalkicker is to come by.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Doesn't really matter if he bags 60 a year. Melbourne hasn't had a player kick 60 since 2006 to give you an idea how hard a prolific goalkicker is to come by.
His best work is inside 50 - no need for him to push up the ground. He does a lot of km within 50 meters. Not sure why such an accurate goal kick needs to be on wing.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Seeing as the team I support is irrelevant to this discussion I must have hurt your feelings.

Feelings are very important these days, so please accept unreserved apology.

I also apologise for ending "the streak".

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
His best work is inside 50 - no need for him to push up the ground. He does a lot of km within 50 meters. Not sure why such an accurate goal kick needs to be on wing.
Our two key forwards combined for 100 goals in 2018 from 20 games each at the very handy average of 5 goals per game. Both were regularly targets up the ground. It's pretty powerful if you can have that connecting down the line target. Hopefully Weideman can support McDonald in a similar capacity this year.

I appreciate Brown is a different type of forward, so perhaps you'll have a second key tall who can also hit the scoreboard while providing that important marking target up the ground.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
If he kicks a handful of goals you win.

He has done it twice.

Take the hat off for once Bill. Since the start of 2017 he’s kicked 3 or more goals 9 times and we’ve won every time. 7 times in 17 and only twice in 19, he was battling injury pretty much all year.

Can’t wait to see what he can do when he puts a full season together.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Our two key forwards combined for 100 goals in 2018 from 20 games each at the very handy average of 5 goals per game. Both were regularly targets up the ground. It's pretty powerful if you can have that connecting down the line target. Hopefully Weideman can support McDonald in a similar capacity this year.

I appreciate Brown is a different type of forward, so perhaps you'll have a second key tall who can also hit the scoreboard while providing that important marking target up the ground.
We are hoping Wood and Larkey come on and Garner stays fit. They can roam.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Merrett could win three Brownlows and I'd still take Brown. Merrett isn't a bad player either but shouldn't be named next to those other wmids.

Agree with that, Brown is pretty much underrated in the AFL community due to playing for a low profile club like North.

I'd have my top 3 2013 draft power rankings like this right now

1. Paddy Cripps
2. Josh Kelly
3. Ben Brown

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Take the hat off for once Bill. Since the start of 2017 he’s kicked 3 or more goals 9 times and we’ve won every time. 7 times in 17 and only twice in 19, he was battling injury pretty much all year.

Can’t wait to see what he can do when he puts a full season together.

Ok - a handful is 3? Some have bigger hands than others.

Fantasia is like our Jacobs. Good winning records when playing and fit. Fantasia can be a big mover if he can play 20 games. As an opposition I would be more worried about him than Daniher this year.

No one would complain about having any one of the top three, needs dependent; Bontempelli, Cripps & Kelly.

I dare say that many supporters from the clubs owning players Merrett and Brown, wouldn't change their player for the aforementioned trio either.

Also feel that Billings and Scharenberg could have been in this conversation should have everything gone to plan. It just hasn't to date.

Barrass, Sicily and Fantasia don't go too bad either and then there's Crouch, Acres, Gardiner, Impey etc..........not the worst draft in recent times, is it?

could even say the best since 2001 I reckon

That makes for an interesting discussion.

2001 left us with at least 13 genuine stars of the comp. Going to be hard to top, but 2013 may yet give it a nudge.
Most of these guys are still only 23 years of age with plenty of time to develop further. Could yet happen.

EDIT: A couple of more than just handy rookies in 2001 to boot.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
No one would complain about having any one of the top three, needs dependent; Bontempelli, Cripps & Kelly.

I dare say that many supporters from the clubs owning players Merrett and Brown, wouldn't change their player for the aforementioned trio either.

Also feel that Billings and Scharenberg could have been in this conversation should have everything gone to plan. It just hasn't to date.

Barrass, Sicily and Fantasia don't go too bad either and then there's Crouch, Acres, Gardiner, Impey etc..........not the worst draft in recent times, is it?

I would only swap Brown for Kelly. Our cupboard is bare without Brown. Inside/clearance mid is not a weakness.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed has made some serious in roads in his last 10 months. Amazing what being played in your natural position can do to a player.

atm one of only a handful of players averaging 1 goals and +25 possies a game.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
2019 has only raised the profile of this draft even further.
Cripps, Bont, Kelly and Merrett are genuinely elite and having superb seasons. It's a shame Kelly hasn't played every game because if these 4 played all 22 games it would create some juicy statistical discussion come seasons end.

Sidthehat

All Australian
Oct 7, 2017
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
That makes for an interesting discussion.

2001 left us with at least 13 genuine stars of the comp. Going to be hard to top, but 2013 may yet give it a nudge.
Most of these guys are still only 23 years of age with plenty of time to develop further. Could yet happen.

EDIT: A couple of more than just handy rookies in 2001 to boot.

Just looking at this now. Really does look very strong.

Cripps
Bontempelli
Kelly
Brown
Billings
Crouch
Merrett
Sicily
Sheed
Barrass
Fantasia
Salem