2013 Rookie Draft Pick #47 - Jacob Ballard

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty happy with this roll of the dice. Like a dual-sided Suban who can mark.

He's already in town. That's a quick turnaround for a Victorian with the rookie draft only happening yesterday.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2013-11-28/ballards-dream-

Ballard.jpg

Good knowing he isn't some hardcore footy head who took the day off to watch the draft. Seems pretty chilled and grounded about it all. Like the guy already.

Good knowing he isn't some hardcore footy head who took the day off to watch the draft. Seems pretty chilled and grounded about it all. Like the guy already.

Not sure if you have to be a "hardcore footy head" to do that, I would have thought most kids that are a chance of being drafted would do the same. It's arguably the most important day of their life to date.

Not sure if you have to be a "hardcore footy head" to do that, I would have thought most kids that are a chance of being drafted would do the same. It's arguably the most important day of their life to date.

Yep, likely the only reason he didn't was because he didn't expect to get picked after he'd already been overlooked in two drafts.

Yep, likely the only reason he didn't was because he didn't expect to get picked after he'd already been overlooked in two drafts.
And there would be PLENTY of those. Each year the drafts would have at least 1000 applicants, comfortably. I'm sure they realise that, and furthermore realise that if they're not part of the recently popped cherry of draft age, then their chances of being recruited are greatly reduced. It's not unusual to think that most of the participants that aren't recently of draft age would be going about their daily grind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I played under 10s with him, used to keep his spot on the bench warm (although I doubt he ever came off). He was tearing it up even back then!

I have plenty of mutual friends with him still, and as far as I can tell he's a decent guy. Should be trouble-free off the field.

Classic story I heard – some kid this year, who played half a game of TAC Cup, put his name into the draft. Fair enough, why not? Anyway, he took the day off sick to 'get ready for the day.' Even though the draft started at 7:30 in Melbs. And he knocked off at... 3pm.

I was pretty disappointed with this pick initially. I felt we should have used it on a Peel Thunder player like Bower or Motlop. Handy mature backup but more importantly send a message that we will look to draw from our feeder club and create some interest in joining the club. It's going to be hard to attract top up players especially in the midfield and you need a strong midfield to feed the young forwards.

Strategy aside seems like another solid pick and happy to have Jacob on board.

We-need-to-go-deeper_inception.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if we are recruiting young future stars to Peel Colts to start them early.
Have to do something from reports half the midfield from last year have walked. Hawks recruit rookies from Box Hill all the time, last year they won the VFL flag. I just feel that it is a massive risk that Peel is unbalanced and uncompetitive. Wrong thread, close rant.

I think we might have gotten a bargain with Ballard, he's played well in Carlton's reserves side for a couple of seasons and should only get better under the Dockers coaches and facilities, would not surprise me if he ended up getting a game this season, will be watching him closely next year

Youve gotta think that Peel will be competitive with some of the players that we will be injecting there next year, including Ballard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back