Test Rugby 2013 Rugby Championship

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Currently Mogg is the only future option at 15 for Australia and we will have to make do til then. I will never accept that you can skimp on defensive ability at fullback though. At least Beale can kick. Folau doesn't have the skill set and the only argument for him playing there is so he gets more ball. I don't like that argument.

Harris has improved a lot under the high ball and he'd improve more if he was told to concentrate on trying to get into the side as a fullback. It's an easily-fixable problem and 15 is by far the position he is best suited to.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Caesar, have you not seen Mogg in defence in the past 2 tests? We can't do any worse. And sure he's got a big boot, but it doesn't do you a lot of good when it's so inaccurate. I think at this stage he's proven that he's not ready for test level. He makes consistently poor decisions.

I'd go for Folau as well for his strength under the high ball and to get him more ball. He can kick it well enough. He shouldn't have to kick it that often anyway.

That was such a frustrating game. If some referee decisions had gone our way in the first 25 (especially Moore's try!) it could have been different. But after that we just seemed to revert to the aimless kicking, poor discipline and mistakes that has been characteristic of the last few years. I couldn't believe that we kept kicking away the ball in the last 10 minutes.

Early in the 2nd half we had the ball in good territory again...what do we do? Endless pick and drives! It is such a crap tactic. It really annoys me. The reds did it all year and failed almost every time. It's pathetic. We change the direction in attack and use width and high tempo to make it from say halfway to 10m out, then we decide we have to pick and drive against a superior forward pack to try and go the last 10! I really don't get it.

The ref needed to use cards. Both teams were guilty of extremely cynical play when the other got close to the line.

The only positive for the Wallabies is that Scott Fardy proved himself worthy of the 6 jumper.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Currently Mogg is the only future option at 15 for Australia and we will have to make do til then. I will never accept that you can skimp on defensive ability at fullback though. At least Beale can kick. Folau doesn't have the skill set and the only argument for him playing there is so he gets more ball. I don't like that argument.

Harris has improved a lot under the high ball and he'd improve more if he was told to concentrate on trying to get into the side as a fullback. It's an easily-fixable problem and 15 is by far the position he is best suited to.

I'm sorry but Mogg directly contributed both tries. That first try was a disgraceful attempt, didn't even attempt to tackle, he just touched him. The second try was once again directly caused by Mogg's indecision. People bagged JOC in the first test for being caught out, Mogg didn't even commit to the tackle, once again he was caught out playing "touch rugby".

If that was Cooper, Australia would be up in arms. This is not even taking into consideration the first test, where he was even worst.

IMO Mogg shouldn't be anywhere near the Wallabies no.15 jersey for a good 2-3 years. Let him develop as a winger first. Folau is the far better option.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To be clear, when I say Mogg is a future option, I mean he is a future option. I am not saying he should be in the team right now.

The solution is not another makeshift fullback though. Put Folau in the position and you will see - his defence isn't up to scratch and neither is his kicking. Those are two non-negotiables for me in a 15. Without them, doesn't matter how well he runs the ball - you are constantly under pressure, and you will crack.

We have enough talent to run the ball in our back line that we can afford to play a more traditional defensive fullback, and we'd be a much better side if we did.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Bit of a turn around for the Pumas. Be interesting to see what happens with the bite claim.

The footage looked pretty inconclusive on first look re the bite. South Africa also complained about an eye gouge at one stage, but the footage was inconclusive on that too. Maybe they'll find better angles.

Argentina probably should have won the match. They just lacked composure at crucial stages and also had a couple of near miss penalty goals while Steyn didn't miss. They should have won 2 matches last year too. The final hurdle for them is to actually win a game, but it's a big mental hurdle and will only get bigger the more close ones they lose.

One thing that Argentina can do really well is link up in the forwards. Lots of little pop passes and offloads that put guys in space and creates momentum. Their pack is really skilful. The rest of their game is improving but they do a lot of dumb things, especially crap bombs when they're on attack. They just need better coaching and to get more of their players in super rugby and they'll be a force.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Huzzah for Issy at 15. And for dropping Ben Alexander.

Quade in for Toomua and Cummins in for Mogg.

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
2. Stephen Moore (ACT Brumbies)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
4. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
5. James Horwill (c – Queensland Reds)
6. Scott Fardy (ACT Brumbies)
7. Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs)
8. Ben Mowen (ACT Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (vc – Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
11. James O’Connor (Melbourne Rebels)
12. Christian Leali’ifano (ACT Brumbies)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
14. Nick Cummins (Western Force)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs)

16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
17. Scott Sio (ACT Brumbies)
18. Ben Alexander (ACT Brumbies)
19. Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs)
20. Jake Schatz (Queensland Reds)*
21. Nic White (ACT Brumbies)
22. Matt Toomua (ACT Brumbies)
23. Jesse Mogg (ACT Brumbies) 

*potential debutant

To be clear, when I say Mogg is a future option, I mean he is a future option. I am not saying he should be in the team right now.

The solution is not another makeshift fullback though. Put Folau in the position and you will see - his defence isn't up to scratch and neither is his kicking. Those are two non-negotiables for me in a 15. Without them, doesn't matter how well he runs the ball - you are constantly under pressure, and you will crack.

We have enough talent to run the ball in our back line that we can afford to play a more traditional defensive fullback, and we'd be a much better side if we did.

Mogg was NZ's best player in those 2 tests, abysmal is one way to put it. He is not a future option, Folau should be the fullback for 5+ years! Folau can kick, he played AFL for 2 seasons, he is no worse than Beale as a kicker. He isn't elite but neither are a few fullbacks! His defence is actually the best out of all our options. Have you seen him this season?

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
For better or worse, I feel that back line is worth persevering with. The pack on the other hand...Kepu may have just played himself out of starting for the Wallabies again, James Slipper has done little to impressme at scrum time over the last few months. Benn Robinson is probably about to get a recall given how ****ed up our scrum is becoming. Elsewhere the pack just got destroyed by a bigger, more physical, more committed Boks pack. Trimble loss.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hard to rate the performance of the backs when the forwards got so thoroughly dominated. With the team we picked we needed to play super uptempo against that boks team but kept making errors and then one out run after one out run where we continually got smashed in contact and bullied at the breakdown. I thought Genia had one of his worst games, but still - he was behind a pack getting hammered.

We could easily lose to Argentina on Saturday. Their scrum dominated the All Blacks for most of their match so just think what it will do to ours. In fact, if their lineout had been functioning they would have been right in that match.

I reckon the Boks will beat the AB's this year.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
The Boks were outstanding, for sure. Their defence was completely smothering and dominant in contact. Add to that their work at the breakdown and stealing ball and it was just a dominant performance that was far too much for the Wallabies to handle.

As I say, I'd persevere with the backline and give the pack a huge serve. Kepu gone, Slipper I'd consider moving to TH (where I've always thought he was better TBH) and bring in Robinson or start Sio to see how he goes. They definitely missed the authoritative Horwill around the rucks, just someone to make a bit of ground and inflict a bit of punishment the other way. When you're counting on Ben McCalman to come on and provide something against that pack, you're really in trouble. Not a lot of depth out there right now with injuries hurting badly.

Hey on the positive I won money lol...SA 13+ was easy money. The negative is it was the same rubbish again...and the same issues:

1. AAK is a bench player, he is not a 13. Now is there anyone better...I'm not sure but I know AAK is not the answer! The bloke can't pass!
2. Backrow was abysmal again, some changes needed, give Gill a crack at 7.
3. Cooper was ordinary, can we stick with Toomua please.
4. Replace Genia, beaten pack or not White has been better.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Missed the AB v SA game due to a prize giving.

Link

The All Blacks won again at fortress Eden Park tonight in a result that leaves Steve Hansen's team with one hand already on the Rugby Championship trophy.

The 29-15 win will be deemed a controversial one in South Africa as Springboks hooker Bismarck du Plessis was sent off early the second half after receiving two yellow cards

1 point win for the Wallabies.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
All Blacks benefited from a ridiculous first yellow card to Du Plessis, which meant his 2nd (also pretty dubious I thought) was a red.

Wallabies benefited from the fact Argentina are even worse at winning matches than we are!! Was a pretty dire match. Nic White did well though in tough conditions. Will be interesting to see if he holds his spot.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
What a surprise SA are the ones that are playing outside the rules, elbows deserve red cards!

I don't think he intentionally elbowed him in the neck. He was the ball carrier and just trying to palm with his forearm IMO. It certainly didn't deserve a red! It got a yellow, which was a bit harsh, but it was the first yellow that was the big mistake. Apparently you get a yellow now if you tackle Dan Carter.

I don't think he intentionally elbowed him in the neck. He was the ball carrier and just trying to palm with his forearm IMO. It certainly didn't deserve a red! It got a yellow, which was a bit harsh, but it was the first yellow that was the big mistake. Apparently you get a yellow now if you tackle Dan Carter.

Lol not intentional...this is SA we are talking about right? Palm him with his elbow, well now I have officially heard it all.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

The International Rugby Board has found fault with French referee Romaine Poite's decision to award the first of two yellow cards against Springboks hooker Bismarck du Plessis during Saturday's Rugby Championship test against the All Blacks.

In a statement the IRB said the yellow card awarded against du Plessis for a tackle on Dan Carter in the 17th minute of the match was "incorrect."

Back