Autopsy 2013 Season (I’m sorry)

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite finishing 10th on the ladder (with a % of 119), this season in particular felt like a big case of missed opportunities.

I think we may have been one of only two teams (the other may have been Hawthorn, but I can't be certain) that started the season 1-4 but had a percentage over 100. The writing was on the wall very early in the season.

Also Thomas was the league leading goal scorer for the first third of the season and averaged close to three a goals a game for the majority the year, he was probably at his peak around that time.

I think we may have been one of only two teams (the other may have been Hawthorn, but I can't be certain) that started the season 1-4 but had a percentage over 100. The writing was on the wall very early in the season.

Also Thomas was the league leading goal scorer for the first third of the season and averaged close to three a goals a game for the majority the year, he was probably at his peak around that time.
Hawthorn started the season 0-1, but went to win their next 9-10 games I believe.

Hawthorn started the season 0-1, but went to win their next 9-10 games I believe.
Weird.

Apologies. Its actually the only time a team started a season 1-4 and with a percentage over 100. The closest was Essendon in 1927 with a percentage 99.42.

Cherry on top was being demonstrably and objectively a top 4 team but due to circumstances, received the #8 draft pick at the end of the year. Then due to changes in father-son rules, got snookered into using #8 pick on Luke McDonald when Patrick Cripps and Dom Sheed were still on the table. What a season!

We would have a quarter (mostly 2nd quarters) where we have completely outmuscled and outclassed the opposition and essentially earned ourselves a decent lead to put the nail in the coffin. Unfortunately, more often than not, we lose that lead in the space of 10 mins because the opposition coach made some changes and we didn't adapt quickly enough or in some cases, completely refused to adapt. Throwing the W into the bin in a nutshell.

Going back to that Petrenko disaster in 2013, in the dying seconds... all 1v1s inside our D50. ALL 1v1s!

The close losses were a combination of poor fitness (which later got sorted), poor coaching, and poor tactical nous to steady the ship.

The second Hawks game is such a prime example. In the third and fourth quarters, Hodge was playing the intercept marker and we did absolutely zero about it. Such a basic thing to sort out and we didn't do anything. I watched ourselves tirelessly kick pass after pass inside 50 straight to Hodge like we were gifting his possessions on the counter. When the Hawks countered, all our energy went into offensive thrusts, and Rioli and co got loose as per usual when the backline is predominantly offensive or cannot rotate back quickly enough to man up. Such basic poor play can have monstrous consequences.

We had to seriously grind some matches out if we were poor tactically.

I liked the 'take the game on' stuff, but if there isn't enough emphasis going the other way, good teams will absolutely expose that.

I hope Shaw can lead us into a pathway that will see a premiership within the next couple of years. But I reckon that the timeline is stretching as the coronavirus lockdown continues, we haven't got long on some senior players...

Lack of leadership, lack of fitness and two way running, lack of footy smarts and iq but it wasn’t just 2013 it’s been the same story for 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back