Super Rugby 2013 Super Rugby Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't speak for the Force but with Rebels, love that with key players missing they have got close the past few weeks and have started to cross the line. Get the defence fixed and they should win a few of the closer games

Can't speak for the Force but with Rebels, love that with key players missing they have got close the past few weeks and have started to cross the line. Get the defence fixed and they should win a few of the closer games

They need more intensity in the first 20 minutes... They always start slow and then try and storm home! If they play a full 80 minutes they'll be bloody good.

It's no surprise the Rebels good patch has coincided with Higginbotham playing career-best rugby. He's a much improved player from his days at the Reds, albeit playing a completely different role. His work rate and intensity has improved considerably.

Great win for the Waratahs. I just wish they could have been a bit more clinical in the first half as the lack of bonus points is really costing them on the ladder. I thought the Brumbies pack was slightly dominant but their tactics are too conservative and they didn't create enough chances. Felt like the game was always in the Waratahs hands. Barnes, Betham and Hooper were standouts.

Going to be a tough match in Melbourne against the Rebels next week. The Rebels were pretty good on Friday night. All their matches have been good to watch lately. Tipping the tahs to have too much firepower and win something like 37-22.

For once, the Rebels started their game with the same intensity that they have at the end! It was like watching a completely different team out there. They kept their composure and played a really good attacking game. They did, however, still let in two really easy tries...it's like they panic a bit when the other team is close to scoring, and they forget to close the gaps on the sides-everyone converges on the middle. Woodward's kicking was also pretty deplorable.

If they can bring that intensity and fire to the match again next week, I think it's going to be an absolute cracker of a game. I can never tip against my own team, so sentimentally I'll say the Rebels by 5.

If they can bring that intensity and fire to the match again next week, I think it's going to be an absolute cracker of a game. I can never tip against my own team, so sentimentally I'll say the Rebels by 5.

Well they'll have JOC back so that will be a positive.

Do you go to the games? Never been myself but AAMI Park seems to be the sort of ground that has a decent atmosphere with only 10-15k people there. I suppose when the Rebels have a season when they're in contention they might start to get 20k turning up. They've made some good buys for next year.

Sure do, I'm a platinum reserved member. Atmosphere is pretty good, especially when the 'reeebbbeeelllls' chant starts! I'm not sure what the crowd numbers were on Friday but it didn't seem very full... But s**t it was loud!

Well the Waratahs had enough ball to win 2 matches but made far too many mistakes. Credit to the rebels though they were very good in defence for a change and were very combative in general at the breakdown.

Good for the tahs that the Crusaders lost to the Chiefs (in an excellent match)...they'll now have to beat them in NZ to have any chance of making the finals. Will need some other results to go their way too. Brumbies beating the Blues today would be helpful for a start!

Rebels could have been right in finals contention now if they'd won a couple of the matches they should have won a few weeks ago.

Tahs started very energetically against the Crusaders. Very quick, easy ball retention in attack and haven't had to defend much at all in the first 20 minutes.

They were brilliant for big chunks of the first 45 minutes. Threw it away in the rest of the 2nd half. Did nothing after the early try and allowed the Crusaders to come back.

Now the ending was incredibly frustrating. First of all the penalty to give the Crusaders the lead was completely unnecessary...and is the one weakness in Hooper's game. He is a penalty magnet.

And the very ending! When that first scrum was set there were 4 minutes left on the clock. The Waratahs could have run it, held onto the ball and maybe scored a try, won a penalty in a more kickable position or kicked a drop goal. But nope they went the European style of trying to milk a penalty over several scrums and wasted the whole last 4 minutes doing so! Finally they get the penalty but after its missed there's no time left. The Waratahs were the better team but I almost feel they deserved to lose after trying to win the match like an Italian side.

That's two matches in a row now that the Waratahs had a chance to win with a kick at the death. And that's the season!

Thought Glen Jackson was quite poor once again and dare I say costed the Tahs the win. I know that having a former player refereeing gives the game a good image and will encourage more players to become a ref once they retire, but he's well below standard. Doesn't seem to be able to control the breakdown and is very inconsistent with his rulings.

I think Berrick will be upset at himself over that kick. Give him that kick 100 times and he'll kick it 90 times. He just seemed to rush it compared to his normal routine.

I reckon the Rebels are a huge chance of upsetting the Reds tonight. The Reds are extremely tired and weary after the debacle that was the South Africa tour. If you haven't heard the Reds were stuck in airports for over 14 hours during the journey. Apparently some of the boys had to push start their vehicle to go back to the hotel after their plane was delayed. Liam Gill being rested gives the Rebels a huge opportunity to break even at the breakdown.The Reds, with the exception of Gill, were extremely inaccurate at the breakdown against the Stormers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, and even the next lot down - the Robinson's, Alcock's, McCutcheon's and so on are pretty good. I'd say it's the one position where we lead the world.

Good to see the Brumbies remember they can attack! They'll be a very tough match for the Lions dirt trackers on that 2nd half form...and a definite title contender, especially if they can finish top 2.

Two great semi finals!! Big surprise that the Brumbies won. Going to be ridiculously tough for them in the final though after all this travel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back