List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would happily trade a 27 year old Douglas + Lyons for Pick 2. Dougie will be a Free Agent next year, so could potentially walk for nothing. Pick 2 would allow us to take the best young SA talent in Aish. Get it done, I say.
Would love to do that deal. Melbourne's list manager should be shot if he even contemplates it though.

Any interest in Leroy jetta? One of my least favourite players, but is seeking a trade. Has elite speed, can play up forward and through the midfield.

Agree with the second statement. At least you qualified the first as being your opinion. It's wrong & horribly wrong at that, but your opinion usually is.

There's no reasonable way you can say that suggesting Mackay > van Berlo is horribly wrong.

This season when they were both poor the stats would slightly favour Mackay (same disposals although VB spent more time on the ground, Mackay higher efficiency, VB more clangers) whilst across their entire careers the numbers slightly favour VB.

It's not a one-sided picture either way and to claim it is makes you look silly...or vindictive.

Lyons has achieved more to date since being drafted. Polec has by far the higher potential.

Could be a reasonably fair trade.

As for Lyons being a "stud"... the kid is nowhere near that good. He is definitely expendable and his trade value is likely to be at it's highest right now.

Don't agree with the first bit. Polec has played more games than Lyons, Lyons' numbers very slightly shade Polec's. They've achieved about the same.

It's just that more was expected of Polec owing to the fact he was taken 56 picks before Lyons in the same draft.

I think a straight swap would be fair, which probably means we would have to chuck in something else because I'm biased.

Also a contested marking beast for a bloke of his size. What to do with him next year will be a real conundrum. Certainly played his best footy forward but it's hard to see him there once all our key forwards are up and going again.

I think Otten will become our new Stevens like swingman, move him wherever need be.

Why do we even offer compensation for FA?

That won't last longer term surely. Do the NBA or other competitions with FA have compensation picks when you lose a player to FA? Or do they just get on with business and sign their own??

Correct weight. What Hawthorn got for Buddy was 180 games, 600 goals and 2 flags! They don't need and it's unfair (to the rest of the clubs) to give them additional compensation on top. This is not having a go at the Hawks but at the FA compensation structure which should never have existed. Presumably it was a sop to get the clubs to agree but will be removed soon. Take away that and the COLA and with the sunset of the expansion club preferences and we may finally see something vaguely resembling a level playing field (interstate travel, blockbuster games, stadium deals, and fixturing aside!).

Why do we even offer compensation for FA?

That won't last longer term surely. Do the NBA or other competitions with FA have compensation picks when you lose a player to FA? Or do they just get on with business and sign their own??

Keep it Australian. It already sucks that free agency has come about, because footy's great strength has always been club loyalty and continuity and how that builds relationships between supporters and players. At least with compensation the club to lose a player isn't completely punched in the guts.

The AFL has done an amazing job systematically blunting all of its strengths as a product, in an effort to be...somehow "better" as international sports are implied to be. Doesn't work like that. ****load ****s.

Has direct interview and quotes from Mackays manager. sorry but this isn't. cant sugar coat this. The AFC have clearly effed up again.

Are you kidding? I'd be pissed if we hadn't shipped him around. It's pretty simple, underachieve and you risk being traded or delisted.

Now he can obviously choose to stay because he's contracted but of course we should shop him around.

Im actually quite dissapointed if the club did offer him up. Only 23 and still has plenty of upside. He benefited massively in 2012 from his two way running and ability to play well through the midfield after spending most of 2011 as small forward. 2013 he seemed to struggle with the whole strength / mass gaining pres season we had. I remember watching him a few times tracking back and he looking to be struggling and running nowhere near as hard as he used to. Chucking him forward again probably didnt help his case, although the bags of 4 he kicked a few times were encouraging.

Think he is a very underrated player on the whole. Hes exactly the type of player we should be looking to retain as players like Thompson especially, as well Vince, Porps and VB start to approach that older age bracket. By that time, Wright will be around 26-27 and in his prime, ready to step straight into a full time midfield role. Tbh thought I think he should already be in the midfield, but I think the likes of Crouch and Grigg started to squeeze him out. With Betts now in the side I would love to see him played on the oppositions best rebounding defender each week on the HFF.

Think we've seen the best of Wright. That sort of player. Came in and played to his limitations amazingly, and straight away, and made good decisions. Doubt there will be much improvement. Classic early bloomer.

Bernie still wins his fair share of contested ball so I wouldn't call him a pure outside mid.

Bernie was used a bit more as an inside mid late in the season and his form improved. Nevertheless he is a fair way back in our list of inside mids so I still expect him to be used predominantly as an outside mid / high half forward / extra man in defence in 2014.

Lyons, Kerridge and Wright have the same problem. They do their best work inside but we can't fit them all in. Kerridge has the most upside of these three so I support the approach of testing the value of Lyons and Wright in the trade market.

Mackay (and Jaensch and Martin) are predominantly outside players but based on 2013 not very good at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had it from a very good source, about 8 games in, that Lyons was unhappy at not getting picked and his manager was fielding inquiries fromNorth and Collingwood and he was expecting to ask for a trade home to Victoria. I don't know if his few games changed his mind. He looked ok but didn't make his mark like I expected him to. Not like Griggs did related on.

On another matter, some snoozer on SEN said the Swans might be interested in offloading Sam Reid. Any thoughts?

Gumbelton would be my preference, as gives us another forward who can help Jacobs out in ruck. He is younger & taller than Pods ... & looks like he can do with a change of scenery. Swap (3-way) to send McKernan back home.

On Polec, would happily trade an inside mid like Lyons (including 3-way trade) as see of similar value. If Lions wanting more value, let Port take him if interested or if he wants to be a Crow, put few more $'s on his head & grab him through the PSD.

Wright is tradeable, but prefer to keep as like him as a small forward (with bursts in the midfield) with Betts, rather that Pets or Callinan (likely to be delisted). Would be trying to move Pets on, even if for a late pick.

Really think we should be trading Mackay & would have though he realises he is not in the best-22, but any ways, can't force a player to leave.

Happy Hendo looks like he is being kept as having him & Reilly/Smith in the back half will set-up the play better. He offers the side something no one else can really do.

Keep it Australian. It already sucks that free agency has come about, because footy's great strength has always been club loyalty and continuity and how that builds relationships between supporters and players. At least with compensation the club to lose a player isn't completely punched in the guts.

The AFL has done an amazing job systematically blunting all of its strengths as a product, in an effort to be...somehow "better" as international sports are implied to be. Doesn't work like that. ****load ****s.

I think you'll find it was the AFLPA that pushed hard for Free Agency rather than the AFL itself. And technically it is the players right anyway.

I had it from a very good source, about 8 games in, that Lyons was unhappy at not getting picked and his manager was fielding inquiries fromNorth and Collingwood and he was expecting to ask for a trade home to Victoria. I don't know if his few games changed his mind. He looked ok but didn't make his mark like I expected him to. Not like Griggs did related on.

On another matter, some snoozer on SEN said the Swans might be interested in offloading Sam Reid. Any thoughts?

You'd be silly to not try and lure him to Adelaide, but the odds arent exactly in our favour. Would be great to get one back on Sydney thou.

For the 6-12 of the year Tex and JJ will hardly play. We lacked an extra tall without them this year. bringing in Pods, who would only cost a packet of twisties, is well worth it and he would only be on the list for 1 year.
Not everything has to be long term planning.
Yep, and add the fact that Pods (like Betts) comes for free, it's a definite bonus for a team with limited trading options. Adding Gumby means you have to deal with Essendon and I've heard they've put some unrealistic demands on what they want for him.

Just put Otten in the forward line and Shaw as the third tall in defence. JJ will probably play in round 1.

Still need depth, especially with Sam Shaw's injury history.

His must mean that the rumours of DNac having a fitness test at Carlton are untrue
Well this is the time of rumours. Big footy is full of unsubstantiated rumours and just plain Bull***t. Noble has consistently stated that Vince and Mackay are contracted and wanted by the Crows. Their names are raised by other clubs testing the waters. What about poor old Sloane...even the genius Rooch suggested he be traded in one of his Infantile articles. Listen to 5AA and hear David Wildy going off about who to trade...he would trade Douglas, Talia, Mackay, at various times and take anyone on the trade table. I say well done to Vince an Mackay for openly stating their loyalty to the Crows.it is a pity some of the fans do not do the same! We are getting a good bunch of players together who respect each other and are not far off finals.

Just on Otten I'm pretty sure he can play anywhere. In 2010 he was very solid as a rebounding defender, after his knee injury he played a lot as a lock down defender on both talls and smalls and last year played forward and looked dangerous. Very valuable player we have there.

Was talking to a bloke that is good mates with Lyons the other night. He said that Lyons would like to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back