2013 WSOP Trip Report

Remove this Banner Ad

Busted the vde event pretty quickly today, was only $500 I thought it was $600 not sure how I got that wrong but anyway

Have the wsop 1.5k tomorrow, hopefully win that just in time for the main event

Day 4, 2.5K NLHE

Today was the start of the 2.5k NLHE, an event I was really looked forward to. Got the Amazon room which I was happy about, I'm really starting to hate the pavillion room. Brasillia is nice as well.

Jeff Madsen was the notable for our table and he started moving chips early. In his second hand, I raise TT from MP, he flats the SB and flop comes 663 with a couple of spades. He checks to me and i cbet about half pot, at this moment someone walks up behind Jeff and hands him a 10k brick. Jeff jokingly throws the 10k into the table for a call while getting a few laughs, then throws in the chips.

Turn Kh, Jeff checks again, I put out another bet. Jeff thinks it over before bumping it up a standard amount. Cant figure out any random kings he flats preflop and floats that board, so really only 33s and random 6s are in his range but there are too few of those plus the aggro bluff factor leads me to call. Turn is an off suit 8 or something, cant remember if he bets or it goes chk/chk, but either way tens are good he doesnt show

He would bust pretty soon after shipping 33s into AQ and losing the flip

Not long after Jasn Koon arrives at the table sitting to my direct left in the 9 seat, first words out of his mouth were "what have I walked in to here, these are some stone cold killers right here, the all star table" in reference to the solom mood of the table and stare downs. I think I was the only one who laughed.

Koon must have been handing out percents of his one drop cash, as he had ppl coming up to see him while he handed out tens of thousands in cash and chips. After introducing himself to me we got talking about cash games around town and other general stuff, hes been trying to get into the 300/600/1200 NLHE game thats been running that nobody can get in to. Thats the game I mentioned earlier in the thread at the Aria.

Jason also had another friend at the table, and pretty soon were openly discussing he current tournament regs. Winner of the one drop Anthony Gregg went in to the summer with the biggest bankroll of any tourny pro, around the 11m dollar mark that just got a 4m dollar boost. Koon said he would quite at 15m, but most likely 10m is his round about get out figure. Also would've had 9% of first and second prize money but refused the action

Also laughed at how well Tony G runs having around 70% of Merson in the main and about half of his action in the 10k 6max he also won

Anyway, after some more laughs and Koon attempting magic flop guessing he runs 88 into QQ where I think he overplayed but wont question him, he busts and we break in to the Brasillia room.

New table is much less fun, except a loud pom to my direct right who kept things moderetly entertaining. I keep grinding, and Matt ADZ Marforiti (I still cant pronounce it let alone spell it) sits at the table. Matt is famous for being two, maybe 3 things. One a douchebag, two a nit and three a 'baller'. Hes also good at poker.

As much as I want to give a great douchebag story, I cant. He was a pleasure to play with, very talkative about all things and really nice. Though you can sort of sense the "overly nice" is balanced by completely ******* crazy, you can just sense it in him. He had a 20k watch and was commentating on another players 25k watch who apparently is an online guy but looks nothing like it, is an older guy, but crushes high stakes. He shows a photo of a 140k collect on roulette from the other night on a single spin, number 32.

So matt is staying at both the cosmo penthouse and the mandarin penthouse and spends most of the day comparing the two, then calls his driver an hour out from end of the day to have him at the Rio door bang on completion. Says hes going to go smoke a blunt, get laid and fall asleep. Cya matt

I win a couple of flips, both with AK against Tens, then give some back with KK where I fold river on an 8 high board. guy says he had JJ but I dont think he did, dont think he bets that amount on that board with jacks, figured he had set or straight at least and was upset I folded kings

So I bag up an avg stack and look forwad to my first day 2, we are about 40 spots from the money. Unfortunately my phone was dead so no bag photos etc

Day 2 coming up

Day 2 of the 2.5k

Amazon Room, purple section, end of tournys played here
amzn.JPG
I have Jess Sylvia on my direct left this time. I've met and played with Jesse during Aussie millions and APAC, so I knew hes a really friendly guy beforehand so was looking forward to chatting him with him. Also had Jonathon Tomayo (Ivey Pro) at our table. We talked Ivey poker for a little while, Jonathon is working on a video that he worries is a little to complex for their market, but thinks its pretty big.

Says anything he puts in the video is about a year old though and wont give up any of his relevant info. From there we get into laughing about how BTN raising is the new UTG raising which was the new BTN raising. The Sylvia laughed at when one of his friends was so excited to share the news one time about how he was just raising the CO all of the time instead of the BTN and nobody would ever pick up on it. It was reference to the fact that its funny when you think you're doing something nobdoy else is until you talk to someone about it and theyre doing it as well

Chippies
chps.JPG

We break pretty soon, I have a little more than what I started with. My new table is even worse, really tough. I know we will break soon, but still give up about 15bb of my 45bb stack in a hand with A high before being broken again.

From here not a lot happens. We are in the money, but I'm short and cant squeeze out a hand. I folded 99s pre in a hand that would've secured me a double after a bad read so that hurts a little, before I eventually find a good spot to 3bet ship but run into a hand and I'm out. My first WSOP cash so I'm glad about that, but being in the final 100 of a bracelet event I feel like I've wasted a chance at a deep run.

10k is a lot of money and as a general rule you doing want to spend more then 1/100th or 1/200th of your bankroll on a live tournament

I have sold before both at markup and without and would do so for most tournaments 5k+ since variance is bitch in MTTs

Merson was a cash game player iirc and cash game players generally hate the idea of big buyin tournaments and throwing a months profit down the drain

There are a whole chunk of winning players who are sponsored into the main event by older guys with too much money , and they probably wouldn't play the main event if they weren't sponsored

I know a few Australians who are free rolled into the Aussie millions main event, a few of them bad investments but these rich guys just don't care, they want to sweat some horses

Side note another thing Koon was talking about was how important it is for pros to get out on their own if they ever want to break free from the grind and enjoy some big scores etc

In the 1.5k now, up a little from starting

7.4k on first break

Bryan Devonshire on my direct left

Table is soft, coming back at 50/100, lots of 20-30bb stacks in play now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373063859.057752.jpg

12k at 75/150

Guy shove squeezes K4 w/17bb from the CO over a couple of limpers, I squeeze KK from the BB and bust him

Few hands later AcT flop 89T all clubs get it in on turn against KcT and fads the three ours

BD is a laugh

10,825 at second break

Couple of weak players busted and stronger players filled their seats, circle of life

Ouch lost big flip for 20k

AK v JJs, Ace on the turn and lightning J on the river, hit like a hammer

Now need to sit through dinner with 10bb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And out, shipped KTs for 10bb and BB wakes up with aces

Main event next, like everyone else

Playing Monday day 1c

Thx all, reading some lol hand histories in the live reporting so hopefully I can see some action

A new place to call home

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373239514.422356.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373239524.971383.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373239535.081411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373239544.087757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373239554.433237.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373239563.204267.jpg

It's pretty impossible to state how much better the encore is than the Gold Coast, wish I was here sooner

The weather is finally starting to cool down to the mid/high 30s so it's possible to walk the strip if you dare

Went and had a look around the Rio for day 1a of the main event, it's a little different, a little quieter though I think 1c will have the buzz back

It's a little bit eerie though, kind of feel like the funs over and the serious stuff is starting

Will be taking my seat in about 19.5 hours, booked a massage for the first two hours

32,225 at first break

Not a bad table draw, 3 pretty soft spots, one so so and the rest have just been tight/passive but that's just probably first level jitters

Survived my first main event all in .... chopped pot lol

I flat 9T hearts from the BB v MP raise

Flop AJK with one heart, chk chk

Turn Q heart, I lead and get called

River black 7

I lead, he raises, I check the board like 500 times knowing I can't flat because its a penalty to just call with the nuts, so I move it all in and he checks the board out loud for another 15 seconds and calls with a ten for the split

Still most nervous I've been all in

Was a funny hand, we are now debating the rule of flatting with the nuts