2013 WSOP Trip Report

Remove this Banner Ad

Have 50k at the dinner break, can't say I loved that level

Have been really card dead not only that level but it feels like the whole tournament, can't remember if I've squeezed out the ace ace yet and if I have it would've been early day 1

Whenever I tried something I had to give up on it which was tilting before losing the A8<T5 hand for 10bb I gave up some more flopping bad etc, was down to 30k

Was able to get some light 3bets through though and pick off a bluff with middle pair and get some much needed confidence back to end with 50k

Probably most competent player at our table (one I doubled) was left with 2.3k at 400/800 and now has over 70k, half of it being gifted when someone called him off with 99 v his KK in a terrible spot

Hopefully can keep up the late momentum post dinner and start building again

Welp grind for 16 hours never pick up a hand then get queens and they can't fade ace kind

Down to 20k starting to understand why busting this thing is so s**t

25k at the break, coming back with 20bb so it'll be an interesting level.

Really hard to squeeze out a playable hand, have really only maintained by some tense light 3betting so if I can wake up with something hopefully I can make it work

Busted second last hand of the day, really tilting

Will go through all the deets later but basics are shipped A8 and player woke up with AK and I brick

Commiserations Judds.

Thanks for providing the sweat and the reports. Certainly brought the WSOP to life more than reading live updates on PN. Hopefully you'll get back there in the future and we can all share the journey again.

Bad luck Juddy.

The ME is probably one of the most difficult events to play so I'm sure you will be better for the experience.

Thanks for giving us some insight during your short stint over there :thumbsu:

Thx all, I owe you a couple more write ups but a touch busy being a little self destructive for my last few days

Overall main event was great to play but holy hell it's a long tourney to play. In the end I ran extremely bad preflop never being given something to play with and couldn't produce any value hands post flop

Had a great time, I imagine this wont be my last my World Series

I really feel for guys busting on day 3

Just Another Tournament

While you guys already know the result of the main event, I feel like a write up is due anyway

Leading up to the event I wasnt really sure how I should feel. In the back of my mind the thought of getting 100bb in in a standard spot against a random draw and losing had me worried, as did a few other random things, but I have a habit of overthinking tournys especially when deep. The thing about them is, you can neve really visualize the path you need to take to go deep in a tournament. I tend to believe it all happens in hindsight, like you start playing and then 20 hours later you havent busted yet and you're nearing the final table

It had worried me in the past when sitting on the verge of a deep run how exactly I would accumulate the chips I needed. In my mind I would over think weaker players bb or loose players opens, but amongst all of that when the dust settles, I like to think when I squeeze my hand all of that stuff dissapears and I generally know what I need to do.

Hopefully, regardless of how many different scenarios I overthink in the lead up to the main event, when I peel my cards I'll still make the right decisions regardless

The night before wasnt the best preperation but it was the preperation I'm most used to. By now my body clock was starting to flip. When I first arrived in Vegas I was awake everyday at 8am and in bed by 1am and feeling great, but the nights got later, as did the wake ups. By the time the main rolled in, I needed an alarm to be up before 11.

I ran in to an Aussie I went deep with in Melbourne the night before, and in turn met up with a more of the aussie tourny regs and had some drinks and a good time in the pits before retiring for the main. I think it was a good thing to do, it certainly distracted me from what could've been a long night of over thinking.

I walked in to the Brasilia room with about ten minutes to spare, before the shuffle up and deal ceromony started with Chris Moneymaker and his bronze statue that looks more like Hellmuth than Chris (imo anyway). After all that, cards were in the air. My first hand was T7o, I folded in MP.

We were 300bb, but some old guy got 200 of them in on a board of 94842 against 44 and didnt play a hand for the rest of the day, while that wasnt the first time the other gentlement would pick up quads that day, mbn.

Preflop was very dry, and after a couple of levels I was starting to understand what people say when they talk about how slow this tourny is.

After my cooler top full over bottom full I certainly felt much better about it all. My table draw wasnt the kind your hear about where players havent player NLHE before, it was overly solid with only a couple of spots, but i had 40k so that didnt bother me at all.

I bagged up 60k after day 1 and felt extremely good about the whole thing. After 10 hours of poker, you generally feel like your're only a few more hours away from things starting to get serious but not in this one, but I wouldnt know that until Wednesday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day 2

My day 2 table draw was a whole lot better than day 1. The best player busted early, while the second best was extremely tight and would've hang around all day either.

The player to my left was more worried about collecting the ruffles chip bags to take home than collecting betting chips, while he openly declared all he cared about was cashing, while we were still about 22 hours of play from that

Early in the day I opened 22s and get flatted out of the SB, flop KJ4 with two spades he check calls my cbet. Turn is an offsuit 8 and it goes check check. River is an offsuit 6. He leads this time and my spidie senses pick up a little, something doesnt seem right. I call it off and am good against AT with no spade draw

The rest of the day went pretty standard. I couldnt pick anything up worth any value and was mainting by opening and cbetting air for the most part. A really good player sat to my right, so I was able to get a 3bet through him every now and again to keep my head above water, but still could never find a spot to value bet.

I was starting to realise now how long this tourny really is. Heading into the 16th hour of play, thinking there was still another 16 at least before anybody thinks about cashing, the grind of this event is really apparent.

Later in the night I picked up QQ the hand after a player was left with 2bb, I opened from MP and the shorty stuck his in, while a loosish player 3bet from the SB. I repopped it pretty big because I know he likes to call a lot, and he does. Flop is 49Ar, he checks. I fire the cbet but it doesnt work, he comes along. Turn is a blank, he checks and I check behind. River is another blank, his AK is good and for some reason it really tilts me. Short stack had A5 and busts

From there I have a 20bb stack and J5 every hand, cant get anything going. I chipped up a little bit, but would then give a little back.

On last level I have 15bb and cant pick up a hand or a spot. 12bb with 30min to go in the day. By the time last 5 hands are called I have 10bb, and on the second last hand of the night I peel A8 of spades in LP and stick it in. 2 to my left asks for a count, calls, he has AK. Ugh, its almost too standard for an event like this. I turn a flush draw and my 8 is live, but I brick the river.

Really all I can think about is how ******* long that tournament is. I had visualised the bust out for the past 3 hours, so I certainly wasnt shocked or tilted, its just the first time I'd played for 20 hours in a tournament and had nothing to show for it, not even a bubble story.

The next day I was back on the pit grind, pretty content with it all. I really started to feel for guys busting on day 3. The only thing worse than 20 hours of poker with no return is 25 hours and another night to dream and no return.

Busting this thing deep would certainly suck, so if anthying out of this trip I have a better understanding of the pain I see when people are busting the event with only 200k to console them, it really wouldnt touch the sides.

I really did have a great time over there though, though as big as the whole thing is, it is still just another poker tournament. I cant imagine this will be the last time I play it

Thx for the sweat

I was listening to a poker podcast this morning and one of the hosts (a non-pro) was saying he made a brain-fart move late on day 1 thinking he had the nuts. He still made it to day 2 but said the concentration required for a single 12-hour day, let alone multiple, is huge (and was in awe of those that perform well day after day). Puts into perspective how good of an effort it was for Merson to win the main last year, right on the heels of winning another event.

I was listening to a poker podcast this morning and one of the hosts (a non-pro) was saying he made a brain-fart move late on day 1 thinking he had the nuts. He still made it to day 2 but said the concentration required for a single 12-hour day, let alone multiple, is huge (and was in awe of those that perform well day after day). Puts into perspective how good of an effort it was for Merson to win the main last year, right on the heels of winning another event.

Absolutely

And it wasn't just any tourney GM won, it was the 25K 6-Max. I'm sure its one of the toughest tourneys going

The FIFO boys would tell you to suck it up. Some of them work 12 hour shifts for 14 days straight.

I rememberd I worked a 28 hour shift when I was a bit younger for a logistics company, only left because every time I sat down I would fall asleep.

The grind really cant be underestimated I guess because although in a vacuum it doesnt sound terrible, you're extremely focused the whole time. The days are long because the breaks are so long, you're still at the rio for about 13-14 hours.

So many of the pots are small so theres no major highs or lows during the day, unless you donk off you're always going to be deep so you can never go into pushbot mode, its just sitting there playing really abc small ball poker but your mind if so focused on everything, by the 3rd level of the day you're exhausted already.

Thanks for this thread and apologies for not getting back over the fantasy league invite. Have my ticket, flights and accomodation booked for this for next year and this will be a huge help. Might change the flight out to get there earlier and see if I can to adjust my body to the time difference, had a mate who went this year and said he just couldn't adjust in time and it really affected his play.

Edit: obv haven't bought the ticket but got it through one of those local APL events.

Guy I know made a recent wsop episode - he had a set of 9s vs the Sheik on Doyle Brunson's feature table. He is not a good player, but he did cash.

Did see that, made it pretty obvious he hit his set of nine's