2013's Biggest Boost

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of a follow up to the "Did we get it right?" thread. Who got it the rightest?

Who/what do you think will be the biggest single boost to a 2013 side, based on what they didn't have in 2012? Some examples:

Brian Lake ----------------> Hawthorn
Brendon Goddard --------> Essendon
Mick Malthouse ----------> Carlton
Brett Ratten --------------> Hawthorn
Quinten Lynch ------------> Collingwood
Sharrod Wellingham -----> Eagles
Kurt Tippett --------------> Sydney
Mark LeCras* ------------> Eagles*
Luke Hodge* ------------> Hawthorn*
Chris Dawes --------------> Melbourne (I think)
Feel free to add others.

Maybe you value the Dawes move most because of the focal point that he & Mitch Clark will make & what it may do for Watts; or
Maybe you value LeCras' return to WCE & what his addition will do to that tall forwardline.

Either way, I'd be interested to hear what others think.

*Players returning from injury or who didn't get out of 3rd gear due to injury.

**Yes it is a slow news day & I'm bored... Mods, feel free to merge if more suitable. :)

Lake and Tippett both offer their respective sides something they didnt have this year.

Maybe you value the Dawes move most because of the focal point that he & Mitch Clark will make & what it may do for Watts
They can stack their forward line with as many average talls as they like - it will mean nothing when their midfielders can't get the ball down there in the first place.

Lake and Tippett both offer their respective sides something they didnt have this year.

Maybe you value the Dawes move most because of the focal point that he & Mitch Clark will make & what it may do for Watts
They can stack their forward line with as many average talls as they like - it will mean nothing when their midfielders can't get the ball down there in the first place.
Yeah, I know dude. Just trying to bring some other points into discussion - Lake/Tippett have enough threads.

I think LeCras will be big for WCE, but not as much as say 2011.

Yeah, I know dude. Just trying to bring some other points into discussion - Lake/Tippett have enough threads.

I think LeCras will be big for WCE, but not as much as say 2011.
Hehe yeah no probs, I was just being a smartarse. While I don't rate Dawes, he will at least add another focal point for the youngsters to kick to should Clarke be being well held. It will teach them to weigh up options also rather than kicking to the same bloke time after time again - a handy skill. That said, once they realise he can't mark they'll go back to Clarke :D

Agreed re. LeCras. WestCoast did a great job this season given their decimated forwardline. Kudos to them.
I'm not overly impressed that we play them both times after they have had a week off next year though, seems a bit rich. The first time flying to subi on a 6 day break after we've realistically laid everything on the line against the Cats, and the second time they're playing us after they had yet another week off and conveniently get to play us at that joke of an indoor-footy stadium.

The Eagles getting back LeCras, Kennedy and Nicoski, plus the ruck rule changes that favour Naitanui more than any other ruckman in the league, means that the Eagles are an even more dangerous side in 2013 than they were in 2012.

In my view, Hawthorn has seen the best of Hodge and any significant contribution he makes to the club in the next season or two will be a bonus. Hawthorn paid a decent price for Brian Lake, and I hope his ambition of playing until he is in his mid-30s is realised, as I'm not overly keen on a one or two year rental.

Can't wait to see him play next year. This kid has so much talent. :)
Pfft you wouldn't have seen him play if he was playing 2's in 2012. Don't jump on the bandwagon driven by other posters who saw him train and have talked to coaches simply so you can say "I rated him when he was a newby" and pretend you know what you're talking about.

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:thumbsdown::thumbsu::footy::hearts::diamonds::spades::clubs:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pfft you wouldn't have seen him play if he was playing 2's in 2012. Don't jump on the bandwagon driven by other posters who saw him train and have talked to coaches simply so you can say "I rated him when he was a newby" and pretend you know what you're talking about.

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:thumbsdown::thumbsu::footy::hearts::diamonds::spades::clubs:

high_horse.jpg

Also I wouldn't say Woodward has so much talent. It's his ability to find the pill and contest for it, more than being talented.
Well technically, that's a talent, and if he's good at it, then the kid's talented.

Well technically, that's a talent, and if he's good at it, then the kid's talented.

If you want to get technical yes, but I'm just saying I wouldn't associate Woodward with "so much talent" I see him as an extremely hard working and strong kid who could become the next Mitchell or the next Schneider :thumbsdown: . Hard to tell at this stage, but he was a later pick and I just thought it was funny associating the kid with so much talent, if so he would've been a top 10 pick. He has some drawbacks, mainly height but we all know being small doesn't mean you can't become a great player. I think/hope he can become a 200+ game player for us.

I was just being picky as normally players who are labelled with x amount of talent aren't the Woodward types.

If you want to get technical yes, but I'm just saying I wouldn't associate Woodward with "so much talent" I see him as an extremely hard working and strong kid who could become the next Mitchell or the next Schneider :thumbsdown: . Hard to tell at this stage, but he was a later pick and I just thought it was funny associating the kid with so much talent, if so he would've been a top 10 pick. He has some drawbacks, mainly height but we all know being small doesn't mean you can't become a great player. I think/hope he can become a 200+ game player for us.

I was just being picky as normally players who are labelled with x amount of talent aren't the Woodward types.
I tend to agree mate, just pointing out that there was some merit in what buddylebo said. Love your sig :thumbsu:

high_horse.jpg

Yeah you're right I should get off my high horse. I mean I'm the only one who is allowed to sit at home whilst living in Melbourne* and make huge calls on players despite never going to a training, never going to Box Hill games and never making any effort to get a first-hand view of players who aren't in Hawthorn's best 22.

I could very easily say "I like what N24, HBD and Henry say on here about Woodward and it has me excited for the future", but if I say that then people won't be able to give me an online pat on the back and say "Hey, good call on Woodward".

*I don't live in Melbourne, but the 5-6x I come over during the footy season, I got to all their open and closed trainings and attend all BHH games regardless of venue provided they don't interfere with Haw. games and even then I don't make calls on players who have seen hardly any game time in the AFL/VFL/Intraclub because of injury.

I tend to agree mate, just pointing out that there was some merit in what buddylebo said. Love your sig :thumbsu:

Yeah true, I was just in a bad/critical mood yesterday :p

Haha yeah, one of the best footy songs of all time, it's a shame we don't get to hear it much anymore

savagelunchbox - it's a ******* footy forum mate! What do you want him to talk about? Ice Hockey?

95% of the posters here have NFI what they are talking about but talk about it anyway. Does this really affect you so much? Give it a rest mate, your acting like his mum (*no offense to your mum lebo :p )

So many people try to claim they knew player x was going to be a star, and you know what, no one remembers it and no one gives two shits.

I'm worried about Woody's knees. Before this ACL tear, I think he had a previous one in u/18's. I think, not completely sure. Just a little worried, a possible 2 knee reconstructions before 20 ain't looking good.

I'm worried about Woody's knees. Before this ACL tear, I think he had a previous one in u/18's. I think, not completely sure. Just a little worried, a possible 2 knee reconstructions before 20 ain't looking good.

I dont think that's true, I don't remember hearing that, I hope it's not true!

savagelunchbox - it's a ******* footy forum mate! What do you want him to talk about? Ice Hockey?

95% of the posters here have NFI what they are talking about but talk about it anyway. Does this really affect you so much? Give it a rest mate, your acting like his mum (*no offense to your mum lebo :p )

So many people try to claim they knew player x was going to be a star, and you know what, no one remembers it and no one gives two shits.
If this is the case why does this poster have to try and act like a know it all? Making bold claims that are basically plagiarized opinions of posters who actually know what they hell they're talking about. I mean I bet if we asked what about Woodward makes him/her think they're going to be a great player, they wouldn't be able to say anything other than the cliched "He's a tough, in and under player who can win the ball" a description that can be given to the now delisted and not redrafted Tom Schnieder as well as the AA and 3x Peter Crimmins medals and premiership captain, Sam Mitchell. You know, a very broad statement that can be applied to players of varying ability.

I don't know why they can't credit the other more educated posters? Or admit that they never go to trainings, BHH games and don't ever see any footage of these players outside of what's on Ch7/Fox Sport or the tid bits of video HFC posts on their website?

At least those who have NFI what they're talking about will admit it and not plagiarize other poster's insightful and/or educated comments.

...and I didn't know what 12 x 12 equaled either until my school teacher educated me on the matter. Doesn't mean I'm gonna throw in a credit for him every time I use that information...nor do I recall him throwing in any shout outs to professors before him.

Also, I'm sorry, but where are these posters you speak of who admit they have NFI when they post? I see the occasional "From my uneducated standpoint" or something along those lines, but I see far more posters who's opinions appear as fact, until they're proven wrong. Apart from the occasional bump or bookmark, that's the end of it, no one remembers, which I feel is the case when they occasionally get it right also.

Personally, I just weed out the crap by skipping over it as soon as I know it's crap, and instead only take notice of the posts and posters whom I find to be genuinely interesting or informative to me.

A bit of a follow up to the "Did we get it right?" thread. Who got it the rightest?

Who/what do you think will be the biggest single boost to a 2013 side, based on what they didn't have in 2012? Some examples:

Brian Lake ----------------> Hawthorn
:)

Brian Lake believes he can help Lance Franklin improve his game.
clear.png
clear.png
thumbsup.gif

I love this part good read:
thumbsup.gif

So how many players were picked up this year that can assist the likes of Franklin and Roughead "Become better Players"
clear.png

clear.png

FULL back Brian Lake believes his inclusion to the Hawthorn side will not only strengthen his new side’s backline, but also the game of its gun forwards.
One of the game’s most respected backmen, Lake says he can assist power Hawk forwards Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead.

He believes standing opposed to the duo during training sessions at the Ricoh Centre will benefit not only his defensive game, but also the forwards’ one-on-one ability and is excited by the challenge.

“You want to be training against the best, and coming into a side now that has two of the best guys in Buddy and Roughie is beneficial,” he told hawthornfc.com.au
“Buddy loves to run around and get up the ground and use his endurance, I guess an area I can help him with is his contested marking.

“He’s got coaches here that do that but hopefully I too can help improve his game in that area.”
“Being able to train with these guys…doing a lot of one-on-one work with them on the track will no doubt help me improve my game but hopefully help improve theirs with my knowledge of using the body during the game as well.”
(Schoenmakers comes to mind for some help by Lake in using his body in one- on- one a bit better as a defender)

So the biggest single boost to a 2013 side is Brian Lake not in just picking up a good player.. but a two time AA experienced player feeling a huge hole in our defence!!
thumbsup.gif

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2012-12-29/i-can-help-buddy-lake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back