Opinion 2014-15 Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne just doesn't rate coaches period. Hated training and warm ups and meetings and plans etc.

It was all in his head and his natural gifts were such that to him it was a waste of time.

On a side note, good to see Ahmed in the squad. Given England has been rorting the system for so long using South Africans and others to pad their team as has NZ recently with Elliott and Ronci. It makes sense to get Ahmed in as a restricted free agent. I also reckon we target De Villiers and that Left armer from Pakistan in the next off season.

Would also like us to groom another opening bat at some point, would have thought that and a new keeper would be high on the list of priorities. No surprise they chose Neville but surely Handscombe, Burns, Maddison, Silk? They are the future I would think.

Last edited:
Warne just doesn't rate coaches period. Hated training and warm ups and meetings and plans etc.

It was all in his head and his natural gifts were such that to him it was a waste of time.

On a side note, good to see Ahmed in the squad. Given England has been rorting the system for so long using South Africans and others to pad their team as has NZ recently with Elliott and Ronci. It makes sense to get Ahmed in as a restricted free agent. I also reckon we target De Villiers and that Left armer from Pakistan in the next off season.

Would also like us to groom another opening bat at some point, would have thought that and a new keeper would be high on the list of priorities. No surprise they chose Neville but surely Handscombe, Burns, Maddison, Silk? They are the future I would think.
Remember though, Neville is a New South Welshman so it doesn't matter how old he is, how good any of his younger counterparts are or his form in any sort of cricket this season. He qualifies for the national team because of the state he's from.

I really dont see the reason S.Marsh and Watson getting a spot ahead of J.Faukner...

I realise S.Marsh playes a different position but Faukner got MOTM in a W/C final i think he deserves a spot in the Squad.....

I realise S.Marsh playes a different position but Faukner got MOTM in a W/C final i think he deserves a spot in the Squad.....
I've conceded that the way he plays ODI is not reliable enough for Tests. Maybe the selectors realise that too.

I've conceded that the way he plays ODI is not reliable enough for Tests. Maybe the selectors realise that too.
This. His greatest strength in One Day and T20 cricket is his versatility, variable bowling and lower order hitting; traits that are nowhere near as effective in test cricket as they are in the other forms. At this stage I don't think his stock bowling is consistent enough to be a threat at Test level despite his incredible natural ability. The guys only 24 though, which is a veritable baby in cricket so he still has plenty of time to work on his efforts in the longer form of the game which I think he will do and be effective in it.

I'm delighted that both Voges and Ahmed have been selected, they absolutely deserve it after their respective Shield seasons. Disappointed that Pattinson and Cummins aren't quite ready yet and hopefully they get their opportunity soon. A fast bowling quartet of Pattinson, Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood looks particulary threatening well into the future.

Maybe u are right but lets be honest here playing England is like playing Ireland Atm....

I've just returned from dropping the family off at Melb Airport (the queues are friggin ridiculous BTW, for any one else travelling over Easter) and Mitch Marsh walked by with his missus to a chorus of "well done Mitch", to which he said, without emotion or facial expression change, "thanks". That is until he passed us and I said "Go Roos", to which he smiled, gave a knowing nod of knowing followed by a broad smile, a "bloody oath!" and a thumbs up.

The bloke's as fired up for the start of the season as we are it appears.

I've just returned from dropping the family off at Melb Airport (the queues are friggin ridiculous BTW, for any one else travelling over Easter) and Mitch Marsh walked by with his missus to a chorus of "well done Mitch", to which he said, without emotion or facial expression change, "thanks". That is until he passed us and I said "Go Roos", to which he smiled, gave a knowing nod of knowing followed by a broad smile, a "bloody oath!" and a thumbs up.

The bloke's as fired up for the start of the season as we are it appears.
Probably happy that you actually knew something about him rather than just trying to get the attention of a "celebrity".

11069870_508616842612754_3292679715238806529_n.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very sad to hear this !
My old man gave me my middle name after him (true story), as he loved the way he went about his cricket

absolutely peerless commentator & person ..and one all Aussies should be proud to have as one of theirs

I like the sound of your name rolls nicely,

Kiwi 'Richie' Roo.

RIP Richie, a fine cricketer and awesome commentator.

Billy "The 12th Man" Birmingham:

It's hard to put into words the way I've been feeling since I heard Richie "From The Body Of The Same Name" Benaud has passed away.

Very sad. Quite nauseous, actually. Struggling to find the right words. Disoriented.

What is the appropriate response to the passing of a man who has been such an integral part of your life, your career, your identity for more than 30 years?

How are you supposed to feel when the bloke with whom millions associate you has delivered his last "chew for chwenty chew"?

I know I won't be alone in feeling this way. Richie has occupied a special place in our homes and our hearts for decades. The world changed so much over that time. Richie didn't seem to.

I must admit that I was quite shocked to see how his health had deteriorated when we shot his brilliant Australia Day "lamb" commercial together at the start of the summer.

The first thing I noticed was that his always impeccably coiffed hair had succumbed to the ravages of chemotherapy. Then, when I put my arm around him and felt just how much he had wasted away, I was profoundly shocked and saddened. The recovery from the accident in the sunbeam had clearly taken it out of him but he was now facing an even bigger battle as his years of playing cricket hatless had resulted in skin cancer.

There was something in his eyes, too. If you asked him how he was, the reply was always along the lines of, "Pleased to report I'm on the mend." But you knew that was stoicism, not reality. I was bloody amazed that he even had the strength to show up at all.

How thrilled I was to have been able to catch up with the great man one more time and to be a small part of his fabulous TV ad.

I took the piss out of him for more than 30 years and now here I was working with him on what turned out to be his last major project.

How marvellous!

It's hard to imagine there is another Australian out there as universally loved as Richie. It was a kind of affection that isn't conditional on cricketing skills or commentary work. People just adored the man.

That's why everyone gives their mate a knowing nudge when the scoreboard ticks over to 2-22, why entire sections of the crowd don silver wigs and beige jackets at the Sydney Test each year, while reciting Richie's commentary gems has become a national pastime.

Rest in peace, Richie.

Incomparable, irreplaceable, the one and only (he didn't like the word 'doyen’).

BRENDAN Taylor was paid just $250 for playing at the World Cup despite being one of the best batsmen at the tournament.

The former Zimbabwe star, who retired from international cricket after the World Cup, has opened up on the reasons behind his decision to walk away from playing for his country to take up a contract with English county Nottinghamshire.

Unsurprisingly, the overriding factor was money.

But Taylor is far from the stereotypical gun-for-hire that has emerged in modern cricket where lucrative T20 contracts are available year round.

HOW TAYLOR FAREWELLED INTERNATIONAL CRICKET

185910-c27f7afe-e438-11e4-b60a-424ceb2f883c.jpg

Brendan Taylor was well respected by teammates and opponents. Picture: Nikki Davis-Jones. Source: News Corp Australia

He cared deeply about representing Zimbabwe - his emotional reaction as he walked off the ground having made a century against India in his last international match said it all - but simply couldn’t justify being paid such meagre sums.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

It is being widely reported that Taylor received around $250 - before tax - for his six World Cup matches, in which he scored 433 runs to finish fourth on the run-scorers list.

A young bengalese player has been killed in a collision with a team mate attempting a catch in the field. He was not breathing after the collision and rushed to hospital where he died of cardiac arrest.

:(

Kumar Sangakkara has signed with the Hurricanes for 2 seasons of full matches in the BBL.

That's not only huge on the team front but massive exposure for the team overseas.

He's basically a cricketing god in Sri Lanka and will have thousands tuning in to watch him play.

Is bringing his family over too.

Kumar Sangakkara has signed with the Hurricanes for 2 seasons of full matches in the BBL.

That's not only huge on the team front but massive exposure for the team overseas.

He's basically a cricketing god in Sri Lanka and will have thousands tuning in to watch him play.

Is bringing his family over too.

You'll have 20,000+ Melbourne residing Sri Lankan born supporters flooding in as well. Although it's more likely to mean your team has large support when playing here.

You'll have 20,000+ Melbourne residing Sri Lankan born supporters flooding in as well. Although it's more likely to mean your team has large support when playing here.
I just hope it won't be another two seasons of us topping up with 2 amazing overseas signings and then falling short somehow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back