May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
All Blacks beat England, again 24-21

Link

The All Blacks survived a yellow card to Dane Coles and a flying finish by England to secure a 24-21 win in a test match peppered with controversy at Twickenham.

Tries to Aaron Cruden, Richie McCaw and Charlie Faumuina enabled the New Zealanders to subdue an aggressive English side that closed the gap in the final seconds when they were awarded a penalty try following a scrum close to the visitors' line.

Expect much of the post-match comment to include referee Nigel Owens, with the Welsh whistler unable to stay out of the limelight for periods of this match.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Scotland beat Aregentina 41-31

Link

Brothers Richie and Jonny Gray paved the way for Scotland's first home win against Argentina for 24 years, a convincing 41-31 victory.

The Pumas arrived in Edinburgh on a high following their maiden Rugby Championship win against Australia in Mendoza last month but, despite making a flying start, Daniel Hourcade's side were unable to stretch their winning streak on Scottish soil to six matches

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Italy beat Samoa 24-13

Link

New Zealand-born fly-half Kelly Haimona kicked 14 points to inspire Italy to a hard-fought 24-13 rugby victory over Samoa as the Azzurri ended a nine-match string of defeats in Ascoli on Saturday (Sunday NZT).

Haimona was making his full Azzurri debut after being called up for the November Tests two weeks ago alongside Fijian Samuela Vunisa.

And the Zebre fly-half proved a useful addition to Jacques Brunel's stuttering side as they look to put a disastrous Six Nations and summer tour of the South Pacific behind them

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Richie Gray in attack more impressive than ever, while Laidlaw guided the Scots around with ease. Vern Cotter has got the Scots playing attacking Rugby after years of defensive play and has the weapons to pull it off.

Problem is, all sides in the 6 Nations are improving as well so no easy games to bolt up the rankings

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I just watched the highlights of the England/ABs game, looked a decent contest. Cracking first try from England. I imagine any AB defender who shows an opponent the outside, and then allows him to run round him and score, would be getting a firm word from the coach at half-time, though!

Mike Brown should have scored from Eastmond's cut-out pass. First AB try looked dodgy, but you have to admire their organisation in defence and ability to keep recycling without dropping the ball in very difficult conditions.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
England and Ireland look the class of the Northern Teams this season with thoughts reserved on the French until they play a quality side (which won't be until the 6 Nations). Wales looked good in attack but poor in defence, but they have a few of their pack to return and North to move back to the Wing. I'll wait on them until the 6 Nations as well.

New Zealand should win the World Cup from here but England, Ireland, Wales, France and South Africa would be my sides that could challenge for the Cup

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Other results overnight.

Ireland beat Sth Africa 29-15 and France beat Fiji 40-15

More results here
Sth Africa was controversially duped against Ireland. Down 16-10 in the 67th minute, they had a player unfairly sin binned for an apparent late tackle. A very dusty decision!

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
New Zealand should win the World Cup from here but England, Ireland, Wales, France and South Africa would be my sides that could challenge for the Cup

Don't know how you can possibly include Wales as a challenger and not Australia.

Also don't think it's right to say NZ should win. I think it's going to be the most open tournament in history. Don't think NZ stand out as much as they did a year ago, or in 2011.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't know how you can possibly include Wales as a challenger and not Australia.

Because Wales are a different beast in competitive matches than in bound Tour matches.

Plus who know where Australian Rugby will be in 10 months time when they lose to New Zealand AGAIN and struggle to beat South Africa at Home AGAIN. End of the day Australia and Wales have to go though New Zealand in a Quarter Final if they get that far. Its really a battle to be the All Blacks doormat.

Also don't think it's right to say NZ should win. I think it's going to be the most open tournament in history. Don't think NZ stand out as much as they did a year ago, or in 2011.

Yes, NZ have lost only twice since the 2011 World Cup and they don't stand out...thats a new level of wishful thinking right there. Yes it will be open and England/South Africa have great chances to go all the way. But lets not kid anyone that at the moment its the All Blacks = Daylight = England/South Africa = Daylight = Ireland/France/Wales = Daylight = Australia/Argentina/Italy/Scotland

Australia can jump up a rung in the next 10 months, but they aren't going to win the World Cup and the field won't change much unless certain injuries take place

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Some very tight games overnight.

Only watched the last 15 of the AB v Scotland game and couldn't believe what I was watching. Obviously a great effort by the Scots. :fire:

South Africa vs England was a good match with the Boks keeping their run against the English going and damn Laidlaw missing that penalty late to take the lead against the All Blacks would of setup an almighty finish and maybe a bit of Scottish Rugby History. But NZ always find a way even the 2nd String side, but great signs from the Scots moving forward. Love the work of the Grey Brothers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Because Wales are a different beast in competitive matches than in bound Tour matches.

Plus who know where Australian Rugby will be in 10 months time when they lose to New Zealand AGAIN and struggle to beat South Africa at Home AGAIN. End of the day Australia and Wales have to go though New Zealand in a Quarter Final if they get that far. Its really a battle to be the All Blacks doormat.

Yes, NZ have lost only twice since the 2011 World Cup and they don't stand out...thats a new level of wishful thinking right there. Yes it will be open and England/South Africa have great chances to go all the way. But lets not kid anyone that at the moment its the All Blacks = Daylight = England/South Africa = Daylight = Ireland/France/Wales = Daylight = Australia/Argentina/Italy/Scotland

Australia can jump up a rung in the next 10 months, but they aren't going to win the World Cup and the field won't change much unless certain injuries take place

Wales haven't beaten Australia in their last 10 matches. And just lost to us again despite all the recent turmoil and change. Yet somehow you think Wales are a challenger and not Australia. Please. By the world cup the Wallabies will be much better than they are right now. Wales might be better too, but the Wallabies have so much more upside. Wales are a very settled team in comparison.

New Zealand look a little vulnerable to me. A lot of their key players are past their peak and their 2nd string was very close to losing to Scotland. And Scotland didn't even play that well. Certainly not as well as they did in patches against Argentina last weekend. I don't think the AB's have any significant improvement in them while all the other top sides do. Sure, they'll probably be favourites, but I think their recent matches show there's no longer daylight between them and everyone else.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
End of the day Australia and Wales have to go though New Zealand in a Quarter Final if they get that far.

Actually the 2nd place getter in pool A will likely play South Africa in the quarters and, if they win that, New Zealand in the semis.

The winner of pool A (I assume you think that will be England, but that is clearly no certainty) will likely play Samoa or Scotland in the quarters and any of France, Ireland or Argentina in the semis.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Actually the 2nd place getter in pool A will likely play South Africa in the quarters and, if they win that, New Zealand in the semis.

Yeah my mistake, mixed up Pools B & C last night when I was reading them.

The winner of pool A (I assume you think that will be England, but that is clearly no certainty) will likely play Samoa or Scotland in the quarters and any of France, Ireland or Argentina in the semis.

I think it will be England yes. My guesses for the quarter final matchups would be England vs Scotland, South Africa vs Australia, New Zealand vs France and Ireland vs Argentina

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Wales haven't beaten Australia in their last 10 matches. And just lost to us again despite all the recent turmoil and change. Yet somehow you think Wales are a challenger and not Australia. Please. By the world cup the Wallabies will be much better than they are right now. Wales might be better too, but the Wallabies have so much more upside. Wales are a very settled team in comparison.

Wales are so settled that George North was played in the Centre vs Australia and they picked their Backup Scrum Half and had their best Prop out and the other starting off the bench. Yep settled. As for Australia's turmoil and change, that's nothing compared to Wales battles with the regions. But lets get ahead of ourselves here, not as if losing to a Team from the North could happen at a World Cup?? Oh Hi Ireland RWC11

Just remember I don't care for the Wallabies and I don't buy the idea that they can win it, yes putting Wales on my list is extreme but then I've seen what they can do to England and thus aren't out of the hunt if they get out of the group but that can be said of every team. The Australia vs Wales match will decide who finishes 2nd most likely but there could be events where England beat Australia, Australia beat Wales and Wales beat England thus the other matches against Fiji and Uruguay decide who makes it out of the group and in which order.

New Zealand look a little vulnerable to me. A lot of their key players are past their peak and their 2nd string was very close to losing to Scotland. And Scotland didn't even play that well. Certainly not as well as they did in patches against Argentina last weekend. I don't think the AB's have any significant improvement in them while all the other top sides do. Sure, they'll probably be favourites, but I think their recent matches show there's no longer daylight between them and everyone else.

That's the thing New Zealand don't need to improve to win it, everyone else does and even then only a couple of sides could knock them off at their best as we have seen with South Africa this year and England in 2012. Those two can we know but who else, France traditionally do at the World Cup and could meet them in a QF or Ireland who had them beaten last year only to choke. Wales, Scotland and Argentina couldn't at a World Cup. Australia could I would grant that.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Those two can we know but who else, France traditionally do at the World Cup and could meet them in a QF or Ireland who had them beaten last year only to choke. Wales, Scotland and Argentina couldn't at a World Cup. Australia could I would grant that.

I think that there's only 3 or 4 teams that can beat New Zealand, but then there's another 3 or 4 teams that can beat those teams. So if say France or Ireland took NZ out in the quarter final there'd be a number of potential winners. Teams like Wales, Scotland and Argentina - like you say they wouldn't beat New Zealand but they'd have an outside chance of beating anyone else in a one off match.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Wales are so settled that George North was played in the Centre vs Australia and they picked their Backup Scrum Half and had their best Prop out and the other starting off the bench. Yep settled. As for Australia's turmoil and change, that's nothing compared to Wales battles with the regions.

The Wallabies were pretty far away from what the starting XV will likely be at the world cup too. We're down to about our 5th choice hooker for starters! And the turmoil has been in the actual Wallabies team environment. Wales have had a very settled coaching structure for many years now. All the players know the game plan and what's expected of them. The Wallabies were in their first test match using new defensive and attacking systems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back