List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said Thompson was useless? For your information I think Thompson has been one of our best picks in the draft in the last 15 years for value alone.

Some guys dont find their feet until their past 25 but to say Tippett is a completely different animal is wrong. He always had ability he just hasnt been mature enough to put it together. Still got a lot to prove imo and could go backwards if he isnt in the right headspace, lets hope not.

Blah blah blah who's the one gloating about how he knows everything about football Brett? All i'm saying is what I think will happen, will I be proven correct time will tell. But I bet I am more of a chance than to be proven correct than you are. 7 years of history puts a lot of writing on the wall for me.
Never said you did. But if you want to make the "delisted by 2 clubs" point as something to hold against Tippett than I'm saying Thompson was overlooked in a few drafts. Look how good Thompson has been. Tippett could do the same.

Why is it wrong? I said he was different now to when he was first drafted. A Tippett going through the motions vs a Tippett with his heart in it is clearly different. The latter is almost best 22 in a top 4 team.

Not sure where in any of my comments I've said (or implied) I know everything abot football. If anything I think it's the opposite. I'm only trying to debate your points using simple logic. In regards to your second last sentence...good on you.

We could sit here and argue all day but at the end of day all these points will be proven either wrong or right in the future.

I prefer to go with past history with these sorts of things but yes on occasions this sort of badluck can be turned around, its rare that it is though.

I find it very difficult how you can rate Tippet as highly as you do on 3 games. Yes he shows some promise but a key defender on the likes of Tomahawk, Franklin, Roughhead, Tex Walker even Carlisle he is not, not at this stage anyway.

We could sit here and argue all day but at the end of day all these points will be proven either wrong or right in the future.

I prefer to go with past history with these sorts of things but yes on occasions this sort of badluck can be turned around, its rare that it is though.

I find it very difficult how you can rate Tippet as highly as you do on 3 games. Yes he shows some promise but a key defender on the likes of Tomahawk, Franklin, Roughhead, Tex Walker even Carlisle he is not, not at this stage anyway.
Based on what exactly? All those training sessions you've sat in on. I find it funny that you don't rate Tippett based on a few games. Yet you chastise the club for not recruiting McKenzie based on...a few games.

Based on what exactly? All those training sessions you've sat in on. I find it funny that you don't rate Tippett based on a few games. Yet you chastise the club for not recruiting McKenzie based on...a few games.
Mate wtf is wrong with you? I never said I didnt rate him infact I said he shows promise. After that I said he is not good enough to go up against the power forwards, but to say he is well your just in fairy land.

I allowed to criticize the club about who they pick up, I pay my membership. If people just agreed with everything the club did the club wouldnt be going anywhere.

Mate wtf is wrong with you? I never said I didnt rate him infact I said he shows promise. After that I said he is not good enough to go up against the power forwards, but to say he is well your just in fairy land.

I allowed to criticize the club about who they pick up, I pay my membership. If people just agreed with everything the club did the club wouldnt be going anywhere.
Nothing wrong with me. I'm saying you don't know if he can because he hasn't played on them. I'm calling you out on a point you made. Give me examples to prove he cannot? Exactly you can't. He is unproven so don't write him off before he has even begun. The difference between you and I is the coaching staff feels he can too (hence why he has been added to the senior list). You make a point, back track a little, then get all hot under the collar. You do it often.

Of course you are, everyone on here does (myself included). Difference being you're rating one player on a set of rules, yet you don't apply the same set to another.
The great thing about BF is we can all debate points with one another. So if you make a point be prepared for others to question it if they have a differing opinion.

I allowed to criticize the club about who they pick up, I pay my membership. If people just agreed with everything the club did the club wouldnt be going anywhere
Absolutely, because, I mean, you are far more qualified than our professional recruiters and list managers in determining who we should pick at the national draft.

You know what, your right in your first paragraph. I dont know if he can play on the big power forwards. What I do know though is that if Thompson has trouble playing on them then I would think Tippett will have even more trouble.

If you call backtracking being prepared to admit that I might be wrong then thats fine. At least I am willing to admit when i'm wrong.

Absolutely, because, I mean, you are far more qualified than our professional recruiters and list managers in determining who we should pick at the national draft.
Where do you guys come from Russia? Its a free country and I can vent that I dont agree with the clubs recruiting. I may not be as qualified as the recruiting staff at the club but being a member I have a right to talk about it.

Ive already said Durdin was a very good get, being touted as a possible top 5 pick and to be nabbed at 16, excellent choice.

Good drafting means you should get guys that are not only a value pick but also a player who fills a void at the club, not drafting guys who you already have a surplus of.

Where do you guys come from Russia? Its a free country and I can vent that I dont agree with the clubs recruiting. I may not be as qualified as the recruiting staff at the club but being a member I have a right to talk about it.

Ive already said Durdin was a very good get, being touted as a possible top 5 pick and to be nabbed at 16, excellent choice.

Good drafting means you should get guys that are not only a value pick but also a player who fills a void at the club, not drafting guys who you already have a surplus of.
Absolutely you have a right to talk about it. But personally I can't stand 'supporter' vitriol towards everything when really, they have little to no idea about the inner workings regarding recruiting, drafting, match committee, contract negotiations and so on. Although in reality these 'supporters' know very little about the actual process of these things they presume to criticize decisions made by the club and spruik their own OPINION as though it were fact. Absolutely fans and members should discuss decisions the club makes but don't do it from a position where you assume you know what is best for the club, disregarding the opinions of the people that we entrust and are employed to make these decisions. For example Reece McKenzie, I thought he would have been a good pick up with either our second or third pick but there's obviously a reason why the club (and many other clubs) overlooked him. If the club feels like it needs to bolster our key defensive positions for when the likes of Grima, Firrito and Thompson retire then I trust their analysis of where our list will be at in a few years time and where it's at now.
Part of being a fan, supporter and member of a club is to have trust in the current custodians and their vision for the club we all love and the decisions they make to achieve their ambitions. It does not give a right to wantonly spew uninformed criticism. So far Scott and his staff have given us no reason throughout their tenure to not trust them. If, when he was appointed, we had of been told we would make a prelim in 2014 we all probably would have taken it considering where our list was at that time, the recruiters and list managers have played a key role in this ascent up the ladder. The club, coaching staff and recruiters deserves our trust and we should give it to them.

EDIT: Or maybe i just drink a lot of KoolAid, I dunno.

Last edited:
You know what, your right in your first paragraph. I dont know if he can play on the big power forwards. What I do know though is that if Thompson has trouble playing on them then I would think Tippett will have even more trouble.

If you call backtracking being prepared to admit that I might be wrong then thats fine. At least I am willing to admit when i'm wrong.
Why is that? Different players.

No one is saying you can't disagree with the clubs recruiting strategy. Several people have. Once AGAIN the issue is you were criticising the club on keeping Tarrant and not drafting McKenzie. An opinion I disagreed with and now you are whinging and missing the point completely. AGAIN it was your reasoning and your contradiction of rules to suit your argument.

Absolutely you have a right to talk about it. But personally I can't stand 'supporter' vitriol towards everything when really, they have little to no idea about the inner workings regarding recruiting, drafting, match committee, contract negotiations and so on. Although in reality these 'supporters' know very little about the actual process of these things they presume to criticize decisions made by the club and spruik their own OPINION as though it were fact. Absolutely fans and members should discuss decisions the club makes but don't do it from a position where you assume you know what is best for the club, disregarding the opinions of the people that we entrust and are employed to make these decisions. For example Reece McKenzie, I thought he would have been a good pick up with either our second or third pick but there's obviously a reason why the club (and many other clubs) overlooked him. If the club feels like it needs to bolster our key defensive positions for when the likes of Grima, Firrito and Thompson retire then I trust their analysis of where our list will be at in a few years time and where it's at now.
Part of being a fan, supporter and member of a club is to have trust in the current custodians and their vision for the club we all love and the decisions they make to achieve their ambitions. It does not give a right to wantonly spew uninformed criticism. So far Scott and his staff have given us no reason throughout their tenure to not trust them. If, when he was appointed, we had of been told we would make a prelim in 2014 we all probably would have taken it considering where our list was at that time, the recruiters and list managers have played a key role in this ascent up the ladder. The club, coaching staff and recruiters deserves our trust and we should give it to them.

EDIT: Or maybe i just drink a lot of KoolAid, I dunno.
Just because I dont know or arent involved in the inner workings of the club doesnt mean I cant have an opinion. And just because your opinion is different to mine doesnt mean your opinion is right either.

I think for the most part the clubs recruiting has been quite good however this year has been poor. Was happy they recruited Waite, Higgins and Durdin. However there was more meat on the bone with the other 2 picks. Believe me when I say I would love for Neilson and Vickers- Willis to prove me wrong.

Why is that? Different players.

No one is saying you can't disagree with the clubs recruiting strategy. Several people have. Once AGAIN the issue is you were criticising the club on keeping Tarrant and not drafting McKenzie. An opinion I disagreed with and now you are whinging and missing the point completely. AGAIN it was your reasoning and your contradiction of rules to suit your argument.
Different players barely. Thompson is a hard at it rebounding defender and Tippet is more of a negating defender, thats the only difference. Both are of pretty much the same height and weight.

As for Tarrant yes they should have offloaded him when other clubs were interested but the fact is other clubs werent really interested anyway otherwise the club would have. He has been one of our worst picks in the 1st round if not the worst and if it wasnt for Scott he would have been long gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different players barely. Thompson is a hard at it rebounding defender and Tippet is more of a negating defender, thats the only difference. Both are of pretty much the same height and weight.

As for Tarrant yes they should have offloaded him when other clubs were interested but the fact is other clubs werent really interested anyway otherwise the club would have. He has been one of our worst picks in the 1st round if not the worst and if it wasnt for Scott he would have been long gone.
I think that's a massive difference when we are talking defenders. The differences you raise are polar opposites in style of play.

Why offload him for nothing then when we've put a number of years into him, and the medical staff are confident they can get him back on the field?

I think that's a massive difference when we are talking defenders. The differences you raise are polar opposites in style of play.

Why offload him for nothing then when we've put a number of years into him, and the medical staff are confident they can get him back on the field?

Your right it is a massive difference between defenders when Thompson has far more strings to his bow. They play on the same type of forwards though.

Its pretty simple why they should have offloaded Tarrant, because he can't even get on the park let alone train ;)

Last edited:
Yes I said above Tippet is more of a negating defender and with his long arms spoils a bit more. Thompson is an excellent reader of the play thus his marking is of real quality whereas Tippet will spoil 90% of the time.

Tippett has 2cm and 3kg on Thompson, plus his arm length would have to be an extra 5-8cm. They have totally different game styles.

Nek Minnit

Yes I said above Tippet is more of a negating defender and with his long arms spoils a bit more. Thompson is an excellent reader of the play thus his marking is of real quality whereas Tippet will spoil 90% of the time.

So because they can both play fullback on the same opponent they are barely different. Yet you admit to them having different game styles and being totally different. Make up your mind deadeyeroo.

Nek Minnit

So because they can both play fullback on the same opponent they are barely different. Yet you admit to them having different game styles and being totally different. Make up your mind deadeyeroo.
What, yeah I said they're different players barely. That statement means they're not exactly the same. Get a life instead of picking apart every word ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back