List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to kill a thread guys!!!!

So who thinks Tippett can play on the gorillas? Anyone?

Jeezus H Christ, this thread has turned into a pissing contest.
Brett33 you're an excellent poster and I don't think I've seen such frustration from you until now - generally it's laughs 24/7 from you.
Nothing wrong with spirited debate, especially during the crazy season, but please keep it civil - both of you. :thumbsu:

RobZombie jlind78 - here you go
scarjo_popcorn.gif

Way to kill a thread guys!!!!

So who thinks Tippett can play on the gorillas? Anyone?

Put your hand up if you're still living in the 90's??

Yep, 100% believe Tippett can play on the gorillas.
The days of afl players having classic one on one duals is gone. Scarlett and the cats killed that notion off for good. I think you'll find midfield plays the biggest part of a team based defence. Tippett doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as the forwards. If the team is doing its job there will be a dodgy kick coming in and plenty of support coming across. He just needs to compete and try to get the ball to ground and run off his man at any chance providing an extra man up the field.

Put your hand up if you're still living in the 90's??

Yep, 100% believe Tippett can play on the gorillas.
The days of afl players having classic one on one duals is gone. Scarlett and the cats killed that notion off for good. I think you'll find midfield plays the biggest part of a team based defence. Tippett doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as the forwards. If the team is doing its job there will be a dodgy kick coming in and plenty of support coming across. He just needs to compete and try to get the ball to ground and run off his man at any chance providing an extra man up the field.
Yes the game is more team focused these days and the team relies on the midfield to put pressure on to affect the kick coming in.

If we had lost that finals game against Geelong this year would you be thinking the same way?

I would rather have a guy who can handle the big fellas than not, but Tippet deserves a crack at it.

Why?

Do you realise how rare genuinely elite young back prospects are like Lever and Durdin?

The last backman like them to be rated as a top 5 talent was Plowman, who's more of your third tall.

The last backman of this calibre relative to their draft class was Michael Hurley, 6 years ago.....

For a backman at one point to be rated close to the #1 pick (Like Lever and Durdin have been at times) is a once in a decade type occurance.....

My problem with half backs is they can struggle to hold down key positions, you talk about Hurley and imo he has been largely disappointing given the talent he had as a junior, he is too inconsistent, similar problems we had with Hansen although recently both have become handy players neither has troubled the all-australian selectors (Hurley picked up 3 votes from 20 games polling in two games while Hansen polled 3 votes from 18 games polling in one game).

KPDs in the AA team were Hooker, Talia and Rance, pretty much all full backs. KPFs were Franklin, Roughead and Riewoldt pretty much all FFs now.

I think it is much harder to make an impact from either CHF or CHB, those positions almost don't really exist anymore, teams are so reluctant to go to the corridor at half-forward because if you turn the ball over there you are cooked.

Hurley and Hansen pretty much resurrected their career intercept marking and playing loose, you don't particularly need a superstar to play that role. When compared to the potential return on investment from a high-end midfielder I think Durdin would only have potential to be a strong return on investment if he is developed as a full forward.

Yes the game is more team focused these days and the team relies on the midfield to put pressure on to affect the kick coming in.

If we had lost that finals game against Geelong this year would you be thinking the same way?

I would rather have a guy who can handle the big fellas than not, but Tippet deserves a crack at it.
I'm not sure you understand the contradictory nature of your post.
As far as I can understand your argument goes something like this.

"Yes, the game is now team focused. But I blame the individual for not doing his job, one out.
When others around should've been doing there jobs upfield or helping out when the ball was delivered in"

Is that what you're saying?

As far as I'm concerned the team needs to fix up the lapses in concentration that lead to Geelong getting on top.
Never should've played out like that. The contest should've been killed and the ball movement slowed. Long before Hawkins had a chance to get them back in the game.

Does that answer your question if I would've thought differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back