Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
A rolling lockout is all thats needed for round 1 if the AFL fixture people continue this split round for round 1. Making it unlimited trades takes out at least 75% research for the preseason.

Apr 18, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
"Old School" DT rewarded those that were willing to put the effort into the game and were rewarded with it. Things like watching pre season games, looking at new roles for young players, the way teams were changing, players pre seasons (how they differed from the last, whether they struggled with injuries) etc all added up to picking a starting side against others who had done a similar thing. From there you were locked with this side with only 20 trades for the rest of the season. This meant you had to back everything you'd done over the pre season and would more often than not be rewarded for such.

Some good points for sure.

I haven't been playing for many seasons so I guess my perspective is a bit different.

One thing I agree with is that last year teams got too similar. I liked having the extra trades but didn't like the fact it meant less unique players. The extra trades means more traffic to the dreamteam site/made things easier for beginners but definitely kills some of the skill. I think the new pricing is a good idea and will be interesting to see how it plays.

It comes down to - No way DT is going to reduce the number of trades significantly. What other ways can they improve the game so it adds back some of that strategy? Maybe somehow rewarding people who jumped on a player early and separating that from people 'getting on the bandwagon' - no idea how that would work though.

Doesn't mean you have to conform and there's still players that slip under the radar of most people. I'd like to think the winner will have those POD's people missed.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
DT Talk are teasing some AFL Fantasy for tomorrow afternoon. Team Planner opening presumably, so a nothing piece of news since most have been playing with our team for over a fortnight.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How is Morabito that expensive. Hasn't played in 3 freakin years!

DPP summed up:

Dangerfield, Mitchell, Hodge, McVeigh, Daw, Wingard :thumbsu:
Thomas, Rockliff, Gibbs, Goddard, Cox, Naitanui :thumbsdown:

Majak won't play til about Rd12 at the earliest

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Majak won't play til about Rd12 at the earliest
I knew he got a 6 month injury in August. But he would still have at worst a month to get ready for Rd1 and I saw the headline of an article today saying something along the lines of him being ahead of schedule.

Something else going on?

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I knew he got a 6 month injury in August. But he would still have at worst a month to get ready for Rd1 and I saw the headline of an article today saying something along the lines of him being ahead of schedule.

Something else going on?

It may be he's recovering quicker than expected but I still don't see him playing Rd1.

He's also got to wait for Petrie/Tarrant/Black to lose form or get injured to get a run.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It may be he's recovering quicker than expected but I still don't see him playing Rd1.

He's also got to wait for Petrie/Tarrant/Black to lose form or get injured to get a run.
Oh, I thought you meant not playing at all until Rd12.

Stazzaz

Senior List
Oct 2, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe (FRE) vs Rockliff (BRI), who would you pick?

Mitchell (HAW) vs Bartel (GEE), who would you pick?

BroughtonMid

Senior List
May 29, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals, Claremont
rockliff has a superior DT game to fyfe, can seriously accumulate and takes uncontested marks... whilst not being to damaging to receive a tag ahead of rich, hanley. rockliff is also probably underpriced for what he can produce. has serious uber potential imo (110-115) if he plays mid all year. can;t see fyfe hitting more than 105 at best.

mitchell is probably a safer pick over bartel. bartel has been on the decline for a while now and is just a 'parts' player for geelong as of late swinging from hbf to hff. can't see the difference between the 2 being huge tbh. see bartel at 85 and mitchell somewhere around 90-95

BroughtonMid

Senior List
May 29, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals, Claremont
thoughts on kieran harper. supposedly has all the talent in the world. fairly cheap.

any substance to the north hype?

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
How come?
Slow reply but on Rockliff, posted this elsewhere:

Very keen on him at this stage because as always, if he's playing in the midfield, he's got massive scoring potential. Remove Voss from the coaching panel and we should see him become a full time midfielder (there's a chance even Vossy figured this out, unfortunately for him, a little too late in the end).

In Rockliff's final 8 games he averaged 123 DT which is 20 higher than what he's currently priced at. This isn't the first time he's shown this sort of scoring potential, he averaged 112 in 2011 with his second half of the season being massive for memory. So as long as he's playing in the midfield, I find it very hard to look past Rockliff who is very capable of scoring massive numbers (6 scores of 120+, 4 of which were over 130) which is exactly what we're after.
http://www.fantasyfootyclub.com/sho...field-Premiums&p=324470&viewfull=1#post324470

His scoring potential is huge and has the ability to match it with the likes of Swan and Ablett imo.

That average which I said was massive in the second half of his 2011 year = 120.6 from round 13-24 (11 game period with a low of 103 DT).

As good as Fyfe is and as much as I love to watch him play, he hasn't shown the signs to match the sort of numbers Rockliff has been able to produce to date. When you then add the fact that Fyfe is a little more injury prone due to that shoulder and more likely to receive attention from the opposition due to his hurt factor, Rockliff is a pretty clear winner for mine.

Mitchell v Bartel - I love everything Bartel does on the football field, I think everyone does and he can pretty much do anything which in turn is his problem I feel. Should Geelong need to send someone up forward, Bartel is their man, should they need some help in the backline, Bartel is their man. Bartel is Geelong's 'Mr Fix It'. One week he can have a fantastic role and really rack up the points and the next week he'll be playing as a decoy forward or something that doesn't help with his fantasy scoring at all. If you've ever watched his games/scoring closely you'll notice he gets big chunks of his scoring in one quarter when he's given a more DT friendly role and can rack it up. It's quite frustrating as he has the potential to be a massive scorer (as seen in his brownlow medal year) but for one reason or another, Geelong have refused to give him much midfield time after that year pretty much and I think that's due to just how good he is everywhere else on the field.

Mitchell on the other hand doesn't have the sort of issue Bartel has with his role. He's either in the midfield racking it up or along half back in a damaging sort of role where the players try to get it to him, both are fantasy friendly roles where he'll be able to produce more consistent scores compared to Bartel (although Mitchell could find himself with a defensive forward should he be too damaging along that half back line).

There's a strong chance that both will end up in my side at some stage during the season but I think Mitchell is the better one to start with as I believe Bartel is more prone to posting a lower scores, thus, I might be able to pick him up a little more cheaply during the year.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just want to say you are an absolute gun poster dylan123! It's a shame the fantasy game is tailored to suit the average Brynne Edelsten mind these days otherwise you would probably win the whole comp one year.
I'm sure guys like Westhoff, Seaby, Dawes etc will always keep me just far enough away to ensure that I never win.

Aug 14, 2009
Port Kennedy
AFL Club
West Coast
Hrm could the 2 round rolling average instead of 3 for working out price help?

Means prices fluctuate more quickly, so less time for people get on the 'bandwagon' of in form players to make money.

It also means when Westhoff gets 150ish score and you jump on him that 150ish score only remains in his price fluctuation calculation for 1 more week instead of 2 so if he bombs the next week you cant ride the big score anymore. This does offset the 2 trades and trading in and out bolters somewhat

CaptScott

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dockers
It also means when Westhoff gets 150ish score and you jump on him that 150ish score only remains in his price fluctuation calculation for 1 more week instead of 2 so if he bombs the next week you cant ride the big score anymore. This does offset the 2 trades and trading in and out bolters somewhat

Good points, could make things quite interesting. Can see many (like me lets face it) jumping on flash in the pan players and getting burnt. Dare I say it, it might add a bit of tactical depth...!?

Back