List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks

Clayton must have walked out on us after the last round and before the draft in november then. I like SD's recruiting of late, but if thats the case, 2009 was an absolute balls up sadly!

Yep, he got rookie bravado and pulled the trigger on the bolter to beat Richmond and a few others. That's why you never stretch pick more than a few spots.

Sorry to bang on about this, but i get mixed messages from other supporters so im unsure of the truth..... Scott Clayton left the dogs at the end of 2009 season. Gold Coasts first draft was actually 2010. Did Scott Clayton recruit for us in the 2009 draft or was it Dalrymple's first draft? In 2009, we picked up Christian Howard, first pick at (15), Jason Tutt (31) and Lukas Markovic (63) and Shane Thorne (76)

We missed on Daniel Menzel, Nathan Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, Jake Carlisle, Mitch Duncan, Sam Reid, Allen Christensen and Nathan Vardy incidently :(

Jack Gunston or Aaron Black would have been nice, too

thanks

Clayton must have walked out on us after the last round and before the draft in november then. I like SD's recruiting of late, but if thats the case, 2009 was an absolute balls up sadly!

I think Clayton finished up pretty much straight after the 2008 draft to work for the Suns.

I remember he did an AFL chat thing in 09 to talk about the draft. He loved Jasper Pittard (Port Adelaide), so I think we would have ended up with him instead of Howard. Pity he didn't stay one more year in the end.

Sorry to bang on about this, but i get mixed messages from other supporters so im unsure of the truth..... Scott Clayton left the dogs at the end of 2009 season. Gold Coasts first draft was actually 2010. Did Scott Clayton recruit for us in the 2009 draft or was it Dalrymple's first draft? In 2009, we picked up Christian Howard, first pick at (15), Jason Tutt (31) and Lukas Markovic (63) and Shane Thorne (76)

We missed on Daniel Menzel, Nathan Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, Jake Carlisle, Mitch Duncan, Sam Reid, Allen Christensen and Nathan Vardy incidently :(

Yes. Clayton left us for GC at end of 2009 season. But he set up the GC list kids to compete in the NEAFL (under McKenna) for the 2010 season. Dalrymple's first year as our head recruiter at the AFL draft was Nov 2009 and was a shocker. He had the training wheels on that year...

DAY THREE COMBINE STANDOUT RESULTS
Beep test/shuttle run (level)
Caleb Daniel - 16.1
Jack Hiscox - 16.1
Tom Lamb - 15.5
Ed Langdon - 15.3
Jarrod Garlett - 15.2
Alex Neal-Bullen - 15.2
Jason Castagna - 15.2
Billy Stretch - 15.1
Jack Steele - 15.1
Jordan Cunico - 14.12
Christian Petracca - 14.12

Kicking test (score out of 30)
Nakia Cockatoo - 29
Daniel Howe - 28
Kyle Langford - 28
Toby McLean - 27
Michael Mattingly - 27
Nathan Drummond - 27
Dean Gore - 27
Brett Eddy - 27
Clem Smith - 26
Liam Duggan - 26
Brayden Maynard - 26
Jack Steele - 26
Ed Vickers-Willis - 26
Mitch McGovern - 26

Clean hands test (score out of 30)

Nathan Drummond - 26
Paddy Brophy - 26
Reece McKenzie - 26
Tyler Keitel - 26
Dougal Howard - 26
Michael Mattingly - 25
Brett Eddy - 25
Caleb Daniel - 25
Jake Johansen - 25
Jarrod Garlett - 25
Brydan Hodgson - 25
Marc Pittonet - 25
Liam Dawson - 25
Jack Cripps - 25

Goalkicking test (score out of 30)
Dean Gore - 30
Keenan Ramsey - 30
Nathan Drummond - 25
Paddy Brophy - 25
Michael Mattingly - 25
Liam Dawson - 25
Cory Gregson - 25
Aidan Anderson - 25
Dougal Howard - 24
Jarrod Garlett - 24
Jack Cripps - 24
Bailey Dale - 24
Declan Hamilton - 24

Can we please have Nat Drummond as a late pick?

These are 'wheat from chaff' test results. They glaringly show a lack of considered high-end talent, and are really only of use for confirming later draft/rookie picks.

I wonder what happened to Payne and McLean in the Goal kicking usually those two are really good at nailing them? Good to see McLean up in the kicking test though.

Isn't Eddy that mature KPF from South Australia?

I don't know if they're interested, but Lever would be a perfect pick for GWS. Durdin would be a solid pick too, I hope they lean for one of these guys and it pushes Wright to our pick.

Do recruiters pay any attention to the kicking and goal kicking tests?

Gary Rohan won the kicking test when drafted and he's not someone I'd call a really good kick. In fact some of his kicking is awful in some games. I think Nelson won it as well one year and by his profile he wasn't considered a good kick. I think it's a load of fluff if you ask me.

Oh reading the GWS boards apparently they will be nominating Jack Steele and Emma Quayle backed it up on twitter. That's disappointing, I was liking the sound of him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting Igloo, I believe we were interested in him a few weeks ago and Brisbane fans thought for sure he would get nominated. Finlayson and Steele nominated for GWS which sucks, but wouldn't mind our 3rd / 4th rounder to grab Hammelman. Sounds perfect to develop.

SCPaige write up:

Pick 60: Brisbane – Matthew Hammelmann Position: Key forward
Height: 198 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 08/03/1996
Club: Morningside
Projected draft range: 2nd/3rd/4th round Brisbane academy selection
Player comparison: Kurt Tippett

A lovely sized key forward with a terrific leap, athleticism and strong hands, Matt Hammelmann has long been considered a top prospect from the Lions academy, but could be better placed with a bit more conviction in front of goal. He is terribly hard to match up on given his rare combination of speed, athleticism, leap and mobility for a man who stands a fraction under two metres. During the National Championships, he was often seen as the go-to man up forward given no side had an answer for him. He is an elite mark, and reads the play exceptionally well, possessing a natural ability to go through the ruck when required. He averaged 10.3 disposals, 7.3 marks and 2.3 goals in his three matches for Queensland at the Championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back