List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think he will actually get a go anywhere else. There is no secret as to what is keeping him get a game, and it is not his desire or ability. If he has not managed to put on a KG since 2012 I doubt anyone else would try :(

I am sure Essendon would find a way to Bulk him up :cool:;)

Do you think he will actually get a go anywhere else. There is no secret as to what is keeping him get a game, and it is not his desire or ability. If he has not managed to put on a KG since 2012 I doubt anyone else would try :(

Sadly your right , can see us cutting our losses there , may even pay him out and replace him with a junior on base salary. To pick Leslie last week ahead of him says it all.

It's a secret to me lol. What's the go?

Someone who may fit the bill for the rookie draft could be sam baulderstone from norwood in the sanfl, big mumford type ruckman - 24 years old and has dropped around 20kg in order to play some quality footy - thats if we dont get ryder of course.

And for midfield depth zane kirkwood won the magarey medal by 9 votes! Plus the fos williams medal for bog in the state team. Plus hes only 23!

Just a couple to consider with our late picks and rookie selections

I second the motion of trading one of our 1st round picks to Melbourne for Trengrove. On Footy Classifieds last night they instigated that everyone except Jones and Hogan is apparently on Melbournes trade table, so maybe see if Howie or Viney or Grimey is available.

I second the motion of trading one of our 1st round picks to Melbourne for Trengrove. On Footy Classifieds last night they instigated that everyone except Jones and Hogan is apparently on Melbournes trade table, so maybe see if Howie or Viney or Grimey is available.
tooo injury prone grimes and trengrove

If we could get Mathew Boyd and he's got 2 good years left in him I think that'd be a good get. Mature body elite extractor is exactly what our midfield needs imo. (When Gary's not their we really struggle to win the midfield battle.)

Now that the Pies have delisted Pete Yagmoor, I wonder if the Suns will throw him a rookie draft lifeline if he plans on coming home to Qld?

Now that the Pies have delisted Pete Yagmoor, I wonder if the Suns will throw him a rookie draft lifeline if he plans on coming home to Qld?
Yagmoor has been down there for 3 seasons,,, hasn't made the cut,,,, we don't need a player of this statue. We need some good proven players with 60 to 120 games experience to compliment our already strong youth list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SCPaige has us taking Laverde, or possibly Ahern if he's available at pick 7. But we've apparently made our interest in Laverde quite well known from a long way out.

Could he play the 3rd tall leading forward ala gunston, darling? or tall midfielder only?

Could he play the 3rd tall leading forward ala gunston, darling? or tall midfielder only?
My understanding of him is that he has the scope to become a tall midfielder at 189cm, but at the moment is more a mercurial type who can play at either half forward or half back with really damaging possessions, like a Chad Wingard or Steve Johnson. Very much an x-factor type. Maybe not as talented as Wingard, but more athletically gifted than him. Happy to be corrected.

Here are some bios I found on the draft thread:

Should the Suns enter the draft at pick 10 with Academy boy Lachie Weller available, it’ll be a flip of a coin: however, Western Jets prodigy Jayden Laverde adds a serious point of difference and x-factor onto their list. The epitome of an athletic and speedy winger who can play every position well, Jayden Laverde’s National Championships mirrored exactly what he’s been dishing up at TAC Cup level this year. Laverde is a sublime mover: he glides through the wings with poise and speed, and loves to cut through congestion with long strides where he can burst out from a contested situation and run the ball, propelling his team into attack. With terrific composure and a knack to always bob up, Laverde showed through the Championships just how dangerous he could be when he was shifted forward. Laverde kicked three goals in game six against Western Australia off 17 disposals at a ridiculous 91 per cent disposal efficiency. Laverde is another tall midfielder with a thumping yet accurate kick, and is one of the more damaging players available in this year’s draft. His versatility is highly favoured, but he looks his best playing off half back and on a wing where he can use his marking game and endurance to cut games open.

Height: 189cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 12/04/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Draft range: 5-20
Best position/role: Rotational forward/midfielder.
Strengths:
Evasiveness – Laverde has rare ability to create time and space for himself with his well-timed evasive sidesteps, body movements, ball fakes among other moves with ball in hand that give him more time and space than anyone else out on the field. He avoids tacklers easily by anticipating what they’ll do before they do it making him look that class above with ball in hand.
Athleticism - Laverde in addition to his evasiveness has incredible explosiveness and athleticism. Laverde uses his pace effectively in game and can break the lines and taking on the game with ball in hand and play on when the opportunity is there and has some real breakaway pace and instant acceleration making him hard to catch. Laverde is a good leaper and is a strong mark in the air. He’s also got the strength and power to win the 1v1 contests and to win his own ball around the ground.
Ball use - Laverde is an excellent user of the footy with his vision allowing him to find the most damaging targets up the field and his ability to execute by both hand and foot also is excellent. When within range from goal Laverde is also an excellent finisher both from general play and set shots and has shown that he can provide heavy scoreboard impact.
Versatility – Can play forward or back well and has the scope to develop the ability to play more through the midfield.
Front half talent – Laverde in the front half has the ability to do major damage and has that natural intuitive front half talent so few have. He’s a capable finisher from his set shots and general play and will run around defenders and run into goal for an easy finish. He keeps his feet in the contest, has a real natural balance to him and can take advantage of guys 1v1 for marks and is also capable in the air and on the lead. He’s got excellent evasiveness and is hard to lay a finger on. He can win the ground balls and contested footy. He’s also got the vision to find targets in better position.
Marking ability – Laverde is a strong mark overhead. He’ll take marks 1v1, in the air and on the lead. On the lead he can create separation effectively for the easy marks. In the air he’s strong and has a good leap making him hard to stop. He’s also got excellent 1v1 strength in the contest and will take advantage of his opponent’s 1v1 taking strong marks against them. When played down back he also shows that he can read it well and be an intercept marking threat.
Weaknesses:
Decision making ability - At times with ball in hand Laverde can try to do too much and can at times make the wrong decisions but when he can do what he does I’d be giving him the benefit of the doubt and let him just play his natural intuitive football, it’s something I’ve seen him improve as the year has progressed so it’s not something I’m overly concerned by.
Ability through the midfield? - The next stage in Laverde’s development is playing more through the midfield and it’s something with time given his attributes that he has the scope to develop. With his evasive movement, skillset, size, strength, explosiveness and his contested ball winning he has the right mix of traits to play through the midfield but until he becomes a regular midfielder he’s not and the question will remain.
What I expect will improve:
Given Laverde’s traits I see him making the jump into the midfield and gradually with time increasing his minutes. I also expect his strong general improvement to continue in a big way over coming seasons.
Who he can become?
Laverde’s play reminds me most of Chad Wingard as that athletic but freakishly talented forward/midfielder. Laverde isn’t as freakish or dominant to the same extent and they have different physical profiles with Laverde the taller and stronger of the two but positionally and in terms of the things both do as classy but athletic and damaging players Laverde while not dominant to the same extent does have some Wingard to him and extreme talent in his own right.
When will he be ready to play?
Laverde should get some opportunities in season one but season two is when I see him most likely establishing himself as a regular.
How to best utilise him?
Laverde is best utilised in the front half given his talent and ability to do damage up forward but later on in his career I’d like to see him increase his midfield minutes and split his time between the front half and midfield.
Interpretation of his numbers:
Laverde this year has shown strong improvement as the season has progressed improving his disposal efficiency, increasing his overall numbers and taking more marks and contested marks. With his numbers trending upward it’s a positive indicator that he’ll continue his strong development over coming seasons.

Sounds like jack martin, x factor, speed, leap, sidestep, play multiple positions.

Weller seems steady, classy..maybe a Sidebottom type.
Laverde seems like he could be inconsistent but high ceiling ?comparison..fyfe if he reaches his absolute potential

Depends if the recruiters think that in bennell, martin, matera we have enough forward / midfielders that flash in an out of games. Need a couple of them but also need your steady prestias, swallows who don't necessarily break open the game but do the right things week in week out.

Just feel that whoever we get to bolster our midfield we need some bigger bodies to help with the bash and crash and to win contested ball. Not sure Weller is the answer there.

If Norf win Geelong finish 5th and we end up with Pick #7 and #14. Go Roos!!
Not overly keen on trading these picks. Would want to be an A Grade player and I can't see other clubs parting with any. Better off trading our second/third rounders and going after free agents to pick up a couple of solid B graders.

If Norf win Geelong finish 5th and we end up with Pick #7 and #14. Go Roos!!
Not overly keen on trading these picks. Would want to be an A Grade player and I can't see other clubs parting with any. Better off trading our second/third rounders and going after free agents to pick up a couple of solid B graders.
Only players that come to mind that would be worthy of those picks and could be on the market would be Beams and to a lesser extent Mitchell.

Jeremy Howe would be a gun half forward in a team with 2-3 talls. Not sure what they'd want in return though.

Im starting to lean back to wellar with pick 7, we have a lot of x factor and high ceiling players but wellar seems like the consistent midfielder and good user that would compliment the mids around him. And being such a good user allows him to play down back or up forward.. unless there's a significant slider

Remove this Banner Ad

Back