List Mgmt. 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Theoretically if we are successful at drafting high end mids/smalls, then eventually we have a surplus and they become currency in a trade for a KPP. The key is quality for quality. For me it is a better strategy than drafting talls that the recruiters are not confident in. I think it is more probable that Weller will have a career at the afl high-end than Durdin for example. What Durdin needs to do to become a good afl players is significantly more difficult than Weller, as we have seen with players such as Clarke or Polak.
That theory has been peddled around on this board for a while now - that we can accumulate a treasure chest of midfielders, then trade for de-risked talls. But of course, it hasn't worked that way in reality.
In an effort to generate team loyalty, the club hasn't traded out established best 22 players & when promising up & coming midfielders from our WAFL reserves get offered for trade, they have bugger-all trade value.
That theory would only work if we were willing to trade out starting mids with real currency (eg Barlow) and then promote one of our up & comers to take that player's role in the starting line-up. Can anyone really see the club doing that?

That theory has been peddled around on this board for a while now - that we can accumulate a treasure chest of midfielders, then trade for de-risked talls. But of course, it hasn't worked that way in reality.
In an effort to generate team loyalty, the club hasn't traded out established best 22 players & when promising up & coming midfielders from our WAFL reserves get offered for trade, they have bugger-all trade value.
That theory would only work if we were willing to trade out starting mids with real currency (eg Barlow) and then promote one of our up & comers to take that player's role in the starting line-up. Can anyone really see the club doing that?

No.

Theoretically if we are successful at drafting high end mids/smalls, then eventually we have a surplus and they become currency in a trade for a KPP. The key is quality for quality. For me it is a better strategy than drafting talls that the recruiters are not confident in. I think it is more probable that Weller will have a career at the afl high-end than Durdin for example. What Durdin needs to do to become a good afl players is significantly more difficult than Weller, as we have seen with players such as Clarke or Polak.

Theoretically we can get a KPF via free agency too, how well has that worked for us the last few years?

I haven't noticed an excess of midfielders, so to me it has not really been possible. But the rumours were strong that players such as de Boer and Clarke (or Griffin) may have been available for the right trade. That a trade did not happen is beside the point. I would be extremely disappointed if players like de Boer, Suban or Clancey were kept around out of a sense of loyalty as opposed to kept for list management purposes. That would be poor decision making for both the club and the players.

Years ago Leigh Brown was (apparently) informed that the club did not see him as 1st choice and while we were happy to keep him on the list they were also happy to talk a trade. Good list and player management. And realistically if the next tier of mids fires up, then a player will want to move. Crozier, Morabito, Sheridan, Weller, Blakeley, Ballard, Duffy, Grey etc are more than enough to replace Mundy and Crowley in the next 2-3 years, and Barlow a bit later, Not to mention Langdon and the hyphen who seem to have potential.

You know with the retirement of pav, mcpharlin and sandi we are going to have a lot of coin to throw at a free agent. Land just one and suddenly everything will be rosy again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends how tabs and apeness come on.

Exactly. And regardless, those two are likely to be a better chance of success than whoever we get access to next year in the draft, assuming we finish where we did this year. Taberner has already shown that he has something to offer at afl level at the very least, and Apeness seems as good a prospect as any KPF who was available at our first round pick this year.

It really does not help us to have a list fully of players like Murphy, Campbell, Drum and Houghton simply because they are tall.

Exactly. And regardless, those two are likely to be a better chance of success than whoever we get access to next year in the draft, assuming we finish where we did this year. Taberner has already shown that he has something to offer at afl level at the very least, and Apeness seems as good a prospect as any KPF who was available at our first round pick this year.

It really does not help us to have a list fully of players like Murphy, Campbell, Drum and Houghton simply because they are tall.

If Ross says we know we've got one coming in referring to Apeness.It gives me confidence that we ain't going to be left high and dry once PAV pulls the pin.

For us to select mids/sml forwards in this years draft over talls shows the footy dept. must be quietly confident that the talls we already have are going to make it once required.

If Ross says we know we've got one coming in referring to Apeness.It gives me confidence that we ain't going to be left high and dry once PAV pulls the pin.

For us to select mids/sml forwards in this years draft over talls shows the footy dept. must be quietly confident that the talls we already have are going to make it once required.

The other thing is that we really don't get a clear picture from this kind of forum about the players, only a glimpse. Look at Keitel or Reece McKenzie, either of which we could have picked up and felt smug that the looming black hole had been avoided. However it is clear that neither were rated highly.

Last edited:
I honestly believe this year people are going to start asking how Taberner slipped to the rookie draft

I agree. The improvement he showed towards the end of the year, particularly the Brisbane game showed that he has some talent at his disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back