Review 2014 Drafting Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Pelchen is a fricken moron. We got the equal second worst off season rating. Doesn't make sense to anyone that knows our list better than just names on a piece of paper.

Well considering we have finished in the bottom half of the ladder over the past 2 years and failed to improve our immediate best 22 you can understand why we got the 2nd worst rating.

When you're in the bottom half of the comp, trying to improve your immediate best 22 (presumably at the expense of selecting for your future best 22) is a foolish strategy.

We're not just a couple of good players away from premiership contention. We're lacking class all over the field. We need to add some for the long haul.

When you're in the bottom half of the comp, trying to improve your immediate best 22 (presumably at the expense of selecting for your future best 22) is a foolish strategy.

We're not just a couple of good players away from premiership contention. We're lacking class all over the field. We need to add some for the long haul.

So bringing in (edited) Eddie Betts was foolish?

You can improve your best 22 and plan for the future. They are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

We didn't draft Eddie Betts. We took him as a free agent.

It's not like we have the option of trading for untried 18 year olds. Trading is obviously done with the objective of either improving your best 22, or building your depth pool.

The fact that we didn't need to give up any picks (ie didn't need to compromise our ability to draft kids) was obviously a benefit,.

True - but they are linked. What we did in free agency impacts our draft (and analysis). You need to look at them together and that is what was being discussed with regards to Pelchen's article.
It's the issue of the sanctions still biting. We desperately needed to be at the high end of the draft this year and replenish with quality youth.

Draft picks are currency, so you make a call, lose your picks and trade for quality or keep your high picks and fossick around the AFL bins for some 15-25 type player depth.

In the end we spent no picks, just a relatively minor order shuffle and picked up some depth.

He could potentially be a good role player but it's hardly something that someone in a neutral position will hype up as a great move (that only comes with hindsight if it does pay off).

The moves we made during this offseason are going to pale into insignificance compared to what we do in 2015. If we can re-sign all 3 of Dangerfield, Sloane and Douglas, bring in at least one quality player through trade or FA such as James Aish, Phil Davis or Matthew Kreuzer (perhaps we could put a mid-late 20s player with a little bit of currency such as D Mackay on the trading block to get discussions started), draft some legitimate class and pace through the midfield next year, and pump games into blokes like Grigg, M Crouch, Kerridge, Cameron and Hartigan, we'll be a legit top 4 threat in 2016. We aren't that yet, and we need to coach, select and manage the list accordingly IMO. A vital 12 months coming up in the grand scheme of things.

You rate Cheney higher than Otten?
Yes, the 2014 version of Andy Otten that is, let's face it since Andy's last knee operation he has failed to recapture the form he was once capable of producing and there are very serious doubts he ever will now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, the 2014 version of Andy Otten that is, let's face it since Andy's last knee operation he has failed to recapture the form he was once capable of producing and there a very serious doubts he ever will now.

Having one knee reconstructed is bad enough but both would play on anyone's mind.

Otten isn't best 22 when he's injured. With out Cheney we have virtually no one.

I rate Cheney's tenacity and toughness. I reckon he'll improve with opportunity.
Look in the end it's was a pretty smart pick up and dovetails with our drafting.

I don't think he's a long term solution (although as you say he may improve), but he's a ready made competitor who can plug a glaring hole and assist with transition to Lever/Ramsay etc

Yes, the 2014 version of Andy Otten that is, let's face it since Andy's last knee operation he has failed to recapture the form he was once capable of producing and there are very serious doubts he ever will now.

I agree he hasn't reached the heights of his 2009 season where he looked to be a fantastic player - although he was surrounded by Rutten/Bock/Dogga/McLeod and played as a loose rebounding defender

Its just I don't understand how a guy who has been on an AFL list for 6 seasons and never played more than 12 games in a season can be considered a better version of a player who finished 5th in our best and fairest in 2013.

Otten isn't best 22 when he's injured. With out Cheney we have virtually no one.

I rate Cheney's tenacity and toughness. I reckon he'll improve with opportunity.

You are correct that Otten isn't best 22 when he is injured. However - I just don't see Cheney as an upgrade on 2013's 3rd tall defender of Otten & Hendo.

Cheney is a clear upgrade on Shaw and LT. Think he'll be a rock down back. Otto doesn't come into it as he's unavailable for our 22 anyway

Otto does come into it... Would we have traded for Cheney if Otto didnt go down with a knee?

EDIT - And Cheney being better than 2 guys who played a combined 12 games last year is hardly a great endorsement as to why our best 22 will improve.

Getting a guy like Cheney to replace to stop gap players who only played because the starter (Otten) got hurt is not improving your best 22.

It was the right move to make by the club - but Kyle Cheney in no way improves the AFC

Otto is out for the year ergo Shaw/LT were best 22. Therefore Cheney has improved the 22.

Otto is out for the year ergo Shaw/LT were best 22. Therefore Cheney has improved the 22.

Fair enough.

I just think that we have gone backwards replacing Otten with Cheney in a side that finished 10th last year. So our overall result is a net loss.

I 100% agree that Cheney is an upgrade on Shaw/LT.

I guess it depends on when you compare rosters.

Fair enough.

I just think that we have gone backwards replacing Otten with Cheney in a side that finished 10th last year. So our overall result is a net loss.

I 100% agree that Cheney is an upgrade on Shaw/LT.

I guess it depends on when you compare rosters.
Yeah a Gibbs would've been nice to boost the 22 long term but it is what it is. We were hamstrung by missing the last 2 drafts and needed to restock our list on a budget

Remove this Banner Ad

Back