Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
AFL Draft HUB
INDICATIVE DRAFT ORDER 2014

National Draft: November 27

PSD/RD: December 3
___________________________________________________________________________________

Guys, guys I just realised something.

We're currently 14th on the ladder (14th/15th accounting for the bye). When eyeing off players in the draft this year, we might actually have to consider whether they will still be available at our pick!!

WOW!

The last time this happened, I was still at uni...

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne

We're currently 14th on the ladder (14th/15th accounting for the bye). When eyeing off players in the draft this year, we might actually have to consider whether they will still be available at our pick!!

WOW!

Going very early

But my oldest had just been born

Still a long way to go in the season, although I kinda like the sentiment. We still can't escape having a draft/FA thread started before the halfway mark of the season though. Not having a go, just musing on how normal they become over the past few years: 'Right, round 5 is outta the way; who do we take with our top 3 pick?'

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeh, i'm so over the draft these days. We get who we get, and we develop them as best we can. If St Kilda play Adelaide in round 23, and they need to win to finish above us, I'm barracking like F*** for Adelaide. Those victories, finishing 14th not 16th are a lot better for a club like ours then, F*** yes, we got Player A over player B.

Think we should use our first pick on a ball winning midfielder this year, and with most of the top picks likely to be key position players we could get lucky and score one of the top 3 mids regardless where we finish. Brayshaw would be the first choice but Lachlan Weller and Brayden Maynard would also be great choices with the style of footy we are playing.

For our second pick, and with Jamar nearing the end of his career it might be wise to look at a ruckman with this pick, think you need at least 3 ruckman on the primary list and we've seen this year that we've had Jamar and Gawn injured at the same time so getting one in here and getting a year of development in before Jamar retires.

If we can add Billy Stretch at pick 3 it would be great for us, adding some speed and outside class.

So with our first 3 picks I think we can knock off 3 different needs, ball winning mid, future ruckman and some outside class, I still think we lack depth in our KPD and by reports Troy Davis is doing ok down at Casey so I wouldn't be against redrafting him as perhaps a rookie selection.

Think we should use our first pick on a ball winning midfielder this year, and with most of the top picks likely to be key position players we could get lucky and score one of the top 3 mids regardless where we finish. Brayshaw would be the first choice but Lachlan Weller and Brayden Maynard would also be great choices with the style of footy we are playing.

For our second pick, and with Jamar nearing the end of his career it might be wise to look at a ruckman with this pick, think you need at least 3 ruckman on the primary list and we've seen this year that we've had Jamar and Gawn injured at the same time so getting one in here and getting a year of development in before Jamar retires.

If we can add Billy Stretch at pick 3 it would be great for us, adding some speed and outside class.

So with our first 3 picks I think we can knock off 3 different needs, ball winning mid, future ruckman and some outside class, I still think we lack depth in our KPD and by reports Troy Davis is doing ok down at Casey so I wouldn't be against redrafting him as perhaps a rookie selection.

Think we should still go best available with a top 5 pick, although the chances are we might try to move it again for a player?

It doesn't appear there will be a ruckman worth a 2nd round pick at the moment, we've got Max King on the rookie list who shows a bit - while being very raw - I'd think we could take another young ruck in the rookie draft.

Think we should still go best available with a top 5 pick, although the chances are we might try to move it again for a player?

It doesn't appear there will be a ruckman worth a 2nd round pick at the moment, we've got Max King on the rookie list who shows a bit - while being very raw - I'd think we could take another young ruck in the rookie draft.
not against trading for a player if we get the right player, but I don't agree that all the top talents are key position players, its actually impossible to tell who's going to be better, while there are a number of quality KPP's it means the quality mids are going to be overlooked and I think thats still the biggest area to work on for us.

not against trading for a player if we get the right player, but I don't agree that all the top talents are key position players, its actually impossible to tell who's going to be better, while there are a number of quality KPP's it means the quality mids are going to be overlooked and I think thats still the biggest area to work on for us.

I agree mate, there are a lot of KPP's that look like being worth a 1st/early 2nd rounder - which obviously inflates the better ones' value at this stage, when we haven't seen them playing on the best defenders/forwards/rucks in the country.

Classic example is Darcy Moore, had 6 touches against a good opposition on the w/e.

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

WOW!

I was a first year apprentice... Ahhh those were the days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think it's realistic to target WA born players from WA...
Fyfe won't come...Trying to coax a best 22 player away from their home state who is playing for a team who are flag contenders:drunk: Yeah we got no chance
If we are going to go hard at any player i would be looking at a GWS/GC fringe player. The Hawks probably have a few players that just can't get a regular game... Could look at trading for them

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The longer the Frawley situation continues, the more frustrated I'm going to get with him from here on.

His decision has a 2-fold impact. Ie/ what type of players we need to target, and also whether we can participate in free agency.

We really need to know ASAP now.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The longer the Frawley situation continues, the more frustrated I'm going to get with him from here on.

His decision has a 2-fold impact. Ie/ what type of players we need to target, and also whether we can participate in free agency.

We really need to know ASAP now.

I'm happy to wait until about Round 15 before I start wanting to hear that negoations at least starting to take place.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm happy to wait until about Round 15 before I start wanting to hear that negoations at least starting to take place.

Id hazard a guess that if we were targeting say, Matt Rosa as a free agent at the end of the year - we would want to have already told him we are very keen, and possibly even given him an indication on salary. You would need to get in early to make sure he holds off on re-signing.

Agents know that any talk from Melbourne is worth nothing unless Frawley has re-signed, as we wont be forgoing an early compo pick to get a free agent.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back