Strategy 2014 First Rookie Promo

Which Rookie will be the first promoted for 2014?

• Isaac Conway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Hayes

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Archie Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jordan Bourke

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Sam MIchael

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Zac O'Brien

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Id start this discussion as I saw Carlton had done two Rookie promos already for the start of the year. Who do we think will get a promo early on? We have:

Isaac Conway

Small chance, we have plenty of midfielders ready to step up for a turn (Crisp, Beams, etc) can see him spending the year in reserves.

Nick Hayes
Second year Rookie, still pretty raw and would be behind Isaac/O'Brien for a midfield upgrade chance.

Archie Smith
Raw first yearer, wont play at all unless we lose Burger, Martin and West to LTIs (Fingers crossed doesnt happen)

Jordan Bourke
Again, behind the likes of Merrett, Maguire, Clarke and to a lesser extent the likes of Gardiner and possibly McStay. Second year player though, so could get a chance.

Sam Michael
Had a crack at the big times last year, didnt really seem to know where to play him when we did, but wouldnt be surprised to see him up again this year. Although the recruitment of West might reduce this chance.

Zac O'Brien
Mature aged rookie, who could probably step up to fill in a midfield role if promoted. Described as a vanilla mid but could prove himself at senior level.

Nah, it's easy - ARCHIE!

(I voted for Sam Michael)
I really struggled to split Dadsy and Zac.
It seems Leppa wants to play tall, and Sam has already had the exposure to senior footy, I also think we are brimming with midfield options.
That said, we will be keen (though not necessarily in a hurry) to raise the experience level of our team. Although not senior AFL experience, Zac has played a great deal more footy, and if the opening is there he could walk into a senior spot more easily.
I voted for Zac because I think Dadsy is still struggling with just getting it (understanding game plans, running patterns etc).
a couple of weeks ago at their first intra-club hitout, one of the coaches was frustratingly trying to explain to Sam where he was going wrong. "when this happens, which way are you supposed to go?" "Around to the left". "Yeah, but which way was the play going?"
It sounded like a simple directional thing that had his side had the ball, he would have been right, but struggled to adjust with the ball going the other way.
(Mind you, I have had very, very little exposure to training so it could have been a one off minor thing. The coach did seem very frustrated, so I got the impression it wasn't an isolated occurrence.)

Between Sam and Zac, I think any elevation will be needs based, so they are probably level.

I can't see how Hayes would be behind Conway. From all reports, Hayes had a great year in the 2s last year while Izzy was literally the last player added to our list. O'Brien probably has a more mature body, and woul've been brought in with the short term in mind, but Hayes' form shouldn't be discounted.

After tonight, Jordan Bourke for mine. Looks ready made and could play as a third tall if needed. Very unlikely though unless Goose, Merrett, Patfull or Clarke went down.

After tonight, Jordan Bourke for mine. Looks ready made and could play as a third tall if needed. Very unlikely though unless Goose, Merrett, Patfull or Clarke went down.

jordan bourke made a number of errors (under pressure) that resulted in goals to the hawks ... he will learn from that. then again so did goose, who should know & do better.

I really struggled to split Dadsy and Zac.
a couple of weeks ago at their first intra-club hitout, one of the coaches was frustratingly trying to explain to Sam where he was going wrong. "when this happens, which way are you supposed to go?" "Around to the left". "Yeah, but which way was the play going?"
It sounded like a simple directional thing that had his side had the ball, he would have been right, but struggled to adjust with the ball going the other way.
(Mind you, I have had very, very little exposure to training so it could have been a one off minor thing. The coach did seem very frustrated, so I got the impression it wasn't an isolated occurrence.)

Depends on the coach, but in my experience coaches generally try to limit outward displays frustration. It tends to bleed out when they've tried to explain the same instruction/idea multiple times and it's not sticking...

Not that they're like this with me of course.. but when they're explaining to those dumbass forwards it's a serious problem :p

jordan bourke made a number of errors (under pressure) that resulted in goals to the hawks ... he will learn from that. then again so did goose, who should know & do better.
I would agree that Bourke should be the first to be upgraded to the senior list. I cant see that he really made a number of errors last night. He was just beaten by a far more experienced player in a couple of one on one situations. One really stood out when he was sidestepped by Ruffie which cost us a goal. no real shame in that. I was more than pleased with the way he continued make up for his errors and always seemed calm under pressure. I think he is coming along at a very steady rate of improvement and would like to see him at least make his debut this year.
Others are a long way behind him. I know its only early days but I can't see Freeman stepping up without a full year in the reserves. He seemed completely out of his depth. Some of the other first year kids will hopefully crack it for a game or two later in the season.
I thought Aish was a little disappointing but do realize he will most likely play to a better standard with more capable players around him. he did show glimpses.

I would say Bourke, I thought he was our best tall defender and looked quite good. Mind you the ball was in his area A LOT.

Aish is interesting because I think he has been really built up as a great white hope for Brissie. He did some good things but there was also the odd worm burner in there. Having said that they were hammered all over the ground, so put it down to experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the objective observations on Aish have been of a silky outside player who has to learn how to improve his inside game I think he showed enough in a game where we barely had our hands on the ball long enough to deliver it to an outside player to do something silky with.

Back