Fixture 2014 Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Using that same 'best 22' from the North Board, and compare possible 'match ups' against EFC. My predicted 'winner' of that match up based on talent and potential in bold. If I think it is break even, neither player will be highlighted.

Lachlan Hansen - Winderlich
Scott Thompson - Daniher
Aaron Mullett - Merrett/EKav
Luke McDonald - Chapman
Nathan Grima - Hurley
Shaun Atley - Zaka
Nick Dal Santo - Stanton
Daniel Wells - Goddard
Ryan Bastinac - Melksham
Ben Cunnington - Hibberd
Robbie Tarrant - Carlisle
Brent Harvey - Dempsey
Lindsay Thomas - Bag's
Drew Petrie - Hooker
Aaron Black - Fletcher
Todd Goldstein - Ryder
Jack Ziebell - Watson
Andrew Swallow - Hocking
Brad McKenzie - Howlett
Sam Gibson - Myers
Leigh Adams - Bellchambers
Sub:Jamie Macmillan - Edwards

Plus we have guys like EKav, NOB, Kommer, Pears, Hardingham that are ready for AFL.

Not looking for a fight or anything.. but it is that 'bottom 6' of any squad that determines success and failure and North just has too many holes for my liking.

Swallow likely to be out until June/July.. and who knows how 'ready' he will be then. That means that you probably tag Ziebell and Wells..

I think North will be playing for 6-12th.
So what you're saying is basically

North Melbourne - Essendon

Using that same 'best 22' from the North Board, and compare possible 'match ups' against EFC. My predicted 'winner' of that match up based on talent and potential in bold. If I think it is break even, neither player will be highlighted.

Scott Thompson - Daniher
Luke McDonald - Chapman
Nathan Grima - Hurley
Shaun Atley - Zaka
Nick Dal Santo - Stanton
Daniel Wells - Goddard
Ryan Bastinac - Melksham
Ben Cunnington - Hibberd
Brent Harvey - Dempsey
Lindsay Thomas - Bag's
Drew Petrie - Hooker
Aaron Black - Fletcher
Todd Goldstein - Ryder
Jack Ziebell - Watson
Andrew Swallow - Hocking
Brad McKenzie - Howlett
Sam Gibson - Myers

Plus we have guys like EKav, NOB, Kommer, Pears, Hardingham that are ready for AFL.

Not looking for a fight or anything.. but it is that 'bottom 6' of any squad that determines success and failure and North just has too many holes for my liking.

Swallow likely to be out until June/July.. and who knows how 'ready' he will be then. That means that you probably tag Ziebell and Wells..

Thompson would wreck daniher on current form. I think that right there shows the bias you and all of us have on this board.
North will be very good next year.

However I love your optimism

Thompson would wreck daniher on current form. I think that right there shows the bias you and all of us have on this board.
North will be very good next year.

However I love your optimism

It will be interesting.. Thompson struggles on tall, athletic leading forwards... Daniher is a tall, athletic leading forward..

All pea's are green, not all greens are pea's type scenario I know but....

I also think that Daniher will surprise some.. he was ready to go for a lot of last year.. and only got a few opportunities.. he will hit the ground running this year..

Jesus, despite their fans being absolute troglodytes, North are a very solid team, and Dal Santo and Tudor are two additions in the biggest gaps in their football department. I'll probably have a sneaky bet on them making top 4.

Jesus, despite their fans being absolute troglodytes, North are a very solid team, and Dal Santo and Tudor are two additions in the biggest gaps in their football department. I'll probably have a sneaky bet on them making top 4.
Tbh I think they are overrated. They'll play finals, but it will probably be 7-8th. I don't think they will wins Grand Final in Dal Santo's time.

Tudor's a good appointment. NDS will help. The way to beat them is to make sure they're accountable. Hansen is good at letting his man to run to the contest and staying back to intercept attacks. Isolate Hansen one-out and then capitalize. Use Watson and Goddard forward more to make sure players like Atley stay accountable.

Anyway, back on topic, we have a draw that isn't bad, but isn't good. We should be looking at 5-6 with it

Scott Thompson - Daniher
Luke McDonald - Chapman
Nathan Grima - Hurley
Shaun Atley - Zaka
Nick Dal Santo - Stanton
Daniel Wells - Goddard
Ryan Bastinac - Melksham
Ben Cunnington - Hibberd
Brent Harvey - Dempsey
Lindsay Thomas - Bag's
Drew Petrie - Hooker
Aaron Black - Fletcher
Todd Goldstein - Ryder
Jack Ziebell - Watson
Andrew Swallow - Hocking
Brad McKenzie - Howlett
Sam Gibson - Myers

OK OK you have had your fun...does any realistic person want to try again for him

AA full back ties with a guy who has 3 AFL goals :eek: certainly less than 10 goals l cant be bothered checking because it does not matter.
Brent Harvey ties with Dempsey (if that is the case why has he never been an option) seeing as he is playing high half forward against a high half back & Harvey does play some of his best footy against Essendon because they have no one capable of curtailing him.
Im not even gonna touch some of the others

North have no depth but somehow Kavanagh NOB Kommer Pears Hardingham are the best you have for depth & that is the difference.
I rate the Bombers & the dribble that was served up late last year against North is not a reflection of there best but seriously you sir are deluded.

We over rate our players to but come on those 2 are embarrassing....you should include that in your deluded thread.

ps: if you think Harvey was slowing down late in the year watch Foxtel when it comes around again.

OK OK you have had your fun...does any realistic person want to try again for him

AA full back ties with a guy who has 3 AFL goals :eek: certainly less than 10 goals l cant be bothered checking because it does not matter.
Brent Harvey ties with Dempsey (if that is the case why has he never been an option) seeing as he is playing high half forward against a high half back & Harvey does play some of his best footy against Essendon because they have no one capable of curtailing him.
Im not even gonna touch some of the others

North have no depth but somehow Kavanagh NOB Kommer Pears Hardingham are the best you have for depth & that is the difference.
I rate the Bombers & the dribble that was served up late last year against North is not a reflection of there best but seriously you sir are deluded.

We over rate our players to but come on those 2 are embarrassing....you should include that in your deluded thread.

ps: if you think Harvey was slowing down late in the year watch Foxtel when it comes around again.

I would give your thoughts more credit if you had indicated you were capable of rational discussion. Daniher will eat Thompson up and spit him out.. and it will be the first of many.. I remember when Lloyd came onto the scene.. I'm sure no one gave him a chance either.. but sometimes young champions have a way of suprising you.

Also, is is October FFS.. so seriously just chill out.. it is harmless posting in a harmless thread.. so no I didn't analyse each match up for hours on end.. Just cause you got called out for your stupidly, embarrassing and quite frankly deluded post about the complete non-issue that is the ASADA investigation.. you want to swing your dick like a hero...

I will watch Boomer with interest as he is one of my fav non-essendon players. I think he is close to the end of his career, this is not an insult but the sad reality that time catches up with everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow ! It's a 141 days to our Round 1 game and we already have a Match Thread. Maybe we can count down 141 moments in EFC/NMFC past clashes.
Yeah, I think this has probably gone far enough for this thread.

We'll no doubt have many opportunities to discuss and compare Essendon and North in the coming months, but we've taken it far enough.

I'll say one last thing, though- underrate Scott Thompson at your eternal peril. He is one of the most underrated full backs in the competition. Daniher may well be a champion in the making, but he's unlikely to be eating Thompson for breakfast just yet.

In summary, Round 1 promises to be a cracker, and I'm of the belief we'll be meeting North in a final- possibly a big one- quite soon.

I would give your thoughts more credit if you had indicated you were capable of rational discussion. Daniher will eat Thompson up and spit him out.. and it will be the first of many.. I remember when Lloyd came onto the scene.. I'm sure no one gave him a chance either.. but sometimes young champions have a way of suprising you.

Also, is is October FFS.. so seriously just chill out.. it is harmless posting in a harmless thread.. so no I didn't analyse each match up for hours on end.. Just cause you got called out for your stupidly, embarrassing and quite frankly deluded post about the complete non-issue that is the ASADA investigation.. you want to swing your dick like a hero...

I will watch Boomer with interest as he is one of my fav non-essendon players. I think he is close to the end of his career, this is not an insult but the sad reality that time catches up with everyone.

So the comparisons of random player match ups is based on nothing more than where you think players may be in your head at some point in time.
Well if that's the logic your right l am an idiot & l am embarrassing myself because l was applying logic to analysis.
No doubt Daniher will be coming it may be next year it may still be 3 years away but will be EPIC when he does arrive l watched him about ten times for Calder he is not a catch & kick footballer has more skills than most give him credit for.

You do realise if you never tagged my post l would not have made any attempt to swing my dick like a hero to use your quote but you tagged my post so you could do exactly that.........staggering really

One thing l will take seriously out of your post is to watch & see if you get any likes, that will tell me something.

A tip.............if you want to be a respected poster even on your own board don't admit to the bolded bit above because like it or not the diatribe that each of us type creates an impression about us that's why some have respect and others are ignored with no responses.

I do agree with your Boomer point though that is logical..........have a nice off season

I counted FTA games by team earlier today and made a ladder, I'll probably put it on the MB cause it makes for some interesting reading

Essendon 15
Hawthorn 15
Geelong 14
Richmond 14
Sydney 13
Carlton 12
Collingwood 12
North Melbourne 10
Western Bulldogs 10
Melbourne 9
Fremantle 8
Adelaide 7
St Kilda 7
Gold Coast 6
GWS 4
Port Adelaide 4
West Coast 4
Brisbane 3

That is very interesting. Anyone have any idea why we'd have 3 more than the Pies & Scum? Are we slack and dont turn up at games but have high TV audiences therefore big sponsors jump up and down to advertise in our games? Or just the way the draw spat out maybe and I'm reading too much into it?

That is very interesting. Anyone have any idea why we'd have 3 more than the Pies & Scum? Are we slack and dont turn up at games but have high TV audiences therefore big sponsors jump up and down to advertise in our games? Or just the way the draw spat out maybe and I'm reading too much into it?

???

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances

One of only 5 clubs to have 1,000,000 attend our games for 2013 and 3rd highest average crowd behind Collingwood and Richmond (who both play the majority of their home games at the MCG)

With record membership numbers despite the scandal, then being denied finals at the last minute, the AFL knows Essendon supporters are as hungry now for success as anytime in recent memory. Someone like Paul Chapman coming on board supports the theory that the Bombers aren't too far away from a decent crack at a flag, even if there is still some uncertainty as to how the players will react next season. It's all a bit shameless from the AFL, as they are capitalizing on a situation they created for their own greedy gain, but then did anyone expect anything less?

Yeah why did pies get reamed in what was it... Round 18-22 no free to air?

Biggest club in the land that's a long time to be off the airwaves especially as they could be playing for finals. You could have a finals side not being seen for a month.

Or is it to push more of their supporters to games to then boost the numbers for the other clubs?

I'm old enough to remember the 90's battles & the keyboard slugfest has rekindled the rivalry with the "history fabricating wanabee's", i'm happy to admit right at this moment they're top the my most hated list, our other so called rivals need to lift their games.

I know we don't want to derail this thread any further with Norf related talk, but I think top four is just about a lock for them (unfortunately). The amount of games they played very well in last year but were overran due to lacking experience and composure tells me that they have the skills and ability they just needed polish. They will have learnt a lot from 2013 and another above average draw means I will be putting money on them for to 4 - even though I would love if I lost the bet :D

Back to the fixture - The number of FTA games listed by BuffDog for interstate teams isn't actually accurate as the games broadcast into those states are actually on FTA. However in terms of what is on FTA in Vic it is correct.

How ******* surprising we get Sydney twice when they land the guy who has a habit of obliterating us. Nothing more sure than Buddy kicking 9 goals in Sydney, and the media losing their minds over it.

Other than that, don't mind the draw. One trip to Perth isn't bad

I'll be happy to play Buddy at the SCG. No space and fighting for ground with Tippett will make life harder for him. He might only get 5 or 6 goals against us up there instead of the usual 8 or 9.

Yeah, I think this has probably gone far enough for this thread.

We'll no doubt have many opportunities to discuss and compare Essendon and North in the coming months, but we've taken it far enough.

I'll say one last thing, though- underrate Scott Thompson at your eternal peril. He is one of the most underrated full backs in the competition. Daniher may well be a champion in the making, but he's unlikely to be eating Thompson for breakfast just yet.

In summary, Round 1 promises to be a cracker, and I'm of the belief we'll be meeting North in a final- possibly a big one- quite soon.
Agreed on JD. I think he will struggle against quality defense next year. He hasn't come up against enough of it in his short career so far... It is against the weaker defenders that he will be scary. Once he gets a taste he will kick a bag or two for sure. Doubt that will be against North.

Bench/Depth - One word - Crap. No depth and no real competition for spots, very little relief for injuries and guys like Gibson, Adams are journeymen at best.

I'm just here for a friendly chat, I'd love to know your reasoning behind this?

As much as I rated O'Brien at NB and Kavanagh has been ok at AFL level,I think we have the equivalent sitting in the two's, in the likes of Brad McKenzie, Taylor Garner and Taylor Hine. Then there's Levi Greenwood and Liam Anthony who both average over 22 disposals a game at AFL level.

We probably lost a bit of KKPD depth with Luke Delaney leaving, but his brother has AFL experience, and is definately the more talented of the two, but we have Majak and Dan Currie sitting at Werribee for our tall forward depth.

I'm just here for a friendly chat, I'd love to know your reasoning behind this?

As much as I rated O'Brien at NB and Kavanagh has been ok at AFL level,I think we have the equivalent sitting in the two's, in the likes of Brad McKenzie, Taylor Garner and Taylor Hine. Then there's Levi Greenwood and Liam Anthony who both average over 22 disposals a game at AFL level.

We probably lost a bit of KKPD depth with Luke Delaney leaving, but his brother has AFL experience, and is definately the more talented of the two, but we have Majak and Dan Currie sitting at Werribee for our tall forward depth.

Obviously a) I won't know these guys as well as you do and b) I would view EFC optimistically and opposition pessimistically.. such is being a supporter.

Having said that I would view your depth through this lens:
McKenzie: He was listed on the bench in the preview, so wasn't 'depth' per se.. even then he is probably your best 'young' talent coming through. At 21 years (next season) he should be ready to step up further, on the 10 games this year he averaged only 11 Disposals which was disappointing for a 2nd year player that did get some opportunity.

Hine: Another player at that 22 year band, played 14 games this season so had plenty of opportunity. Got dropped as he averaged on 11D when he played and at 60% efficiency it meant his impact was limited. Went for pick #61 so hardly likely his career is going to suddenly spike now, what you see is probably about 90% of what you are going to get.. at best.. yes for depth maybe but Kanga's will be a better team if this guy isn't first cab off the rank for depth.

Garner: Youth on his side with his 20th B'day in the 2014 season. Very limited this year, only 2 games so not fair to judge on those performances. Time will tell. May well be on the same band as EKav and NOB however has less experience than guys like Pears who has shown at AFL level already.

So with McKenzie already listed on the team sheet and Hine likely to only ever be a 'bit' player.. then really the depth is the very young and raw Garner.

As to Greenwood: Personally I have never been a fan, I think there are some big issues with positioning, body work, endurance and skill level for Levi. As he now approaches 25 it is unlikely significant or rapid improvement will be made. Played 6 games and collected a handy 22D average however lack of defensive pressure meant limited opportunities. Should be listed as depth and could play a role if injuries strike.. However probably won't be on the list when Roo's push for a flag in the next 2-3 years.

Anthony: I was a wrap for Liam, had him SC for two years before admitting defeat. Doesn't seem to be able to get out of second gear and career interruptions leave this 26 year struggle for a regular gig in the seniors. Came in for 5 games but hardly impressed with under 15D in each. Used defensively at times however even as a 'depth' player may face an uphill battle to get regular chances.

So not looking to fight.. I'm sure you, and many many others, would disagree but that is what my logic and rational was. I reluctantly admit that your 'core' group of 15 players is good.. but I do have doubts about spots 16-28 on the list (which you need to seriously push for a flag).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back